Asrock X79 Extreme4 bios 2.10 Windows XP - Processor Throttle Not Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock X79 Extreme4 bios 2.10 Windows XP - Processor Throttle Not Supported

Any suggestions how to configure the bios (v2.10) in an Asrock X79 Extreme4 to get processor throttling supported in Windows XP? Seems to be working fine in Windows 7. TIA

Re: Asrock X79 Extreme4 bios 2.10 Windows XP - Processor Throttle Not Supported

Are you referring to SpeedStep, or C-States? If so, when they are enabled in XP, the CPU does not change to it's power saving speed? What CPU do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Are you referring to SpeedStep, or C-States? If so, when they are enabled in XP, the CPU does not change to it's power saving speed? What CPU do you have?
      Intel i7-3930K. In Win XP processor CPU Vcore appears to be running at max under minimal CPU load. In Win 7 Vcore drops under minimal CPU load. Powercfg in Win XP reports Processor Throttle Not Supported.

Comment

It seems we are talking about the same thing, but from different perspectives. Processor throttling is supported in later versions of XP, and then must be enabled in the OS. The following is from Intel's website, describing the requirements for SpeedStep:

You can read the entire page here:

Comment

Thanks for that. Selecting different power options under Win XP make no difference, and My Computer|Properties show the CPU always running at full 3.20 GHz under 0% load. Speedfan always reports Vcore at 1.11v under 0% load. Together this results in CPU core temperatures running at close to 60 degrees celsius.

In Win 7 (same pc, same motherboard, same bios version and settings) Vcore drops to 0.84v under 0% load and frequency down to 2.2 GHz under 0% load. CPU core temperatures are at about 40 degrees celsius.

It is my understanding that if Powercfg in Win XP reports that Processor Throttle is Not Supported then Intel Enhanced Speedstep is not working, and I conclude that there is something in the bios setup that needs to be changed for Speedstep to work under Win XP. I have tried a number of combinations of settings of Speedstep and the C-states without success.

Comment

Working...
          X