Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Q77m vPro - Anybody got info on Intel vPro capability ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Q77m vPro - Anybody got info on Intel vPro capability ?

Hi,
    I was thinking about buying a ASRock Q77m vPro MOB however there is no informationin the manual about the Intel vPro and setting up. Usually it is done on a Bios level and wondering has anybody tried it out and could provide me with some information on where the setup is located, setup or how it is accessed etc.

PURPOSE:
    1. I want to use the Monitoring & Remote Access capabilities of Intel vPro. Allows me remote in to clients site where needed.
    2. I might try setup vmWare ESXI5 Server. Again if Intel vPRO it works (am open to comments on that), it would allow me to remote into and also monitor things on the backend remotely

Any help would be VERY much appreciated as I don;t want to purchase a test board to find it doesn't work as planned. If however it works out well, I would then look at buying many.

PS: I am an IT Support person so technically proficient

Cheers

Re: ASRock Q77m vPro - Anybody got info on Intel vPro capability ?

No information in the manual on vPro? That's glorious, the board is named for that, and it's listed as a feature in the overview, and "Supports vPro" is listed in the specs. You may need to sift through the UEFI section of the manual and see if you can find a setting for it, which may not be necessary.

As you likely know, vPro is chipset and CPU dependent, not all chipsets or CPUs support it. The Q77 chipset does support vPro, and it looks like NONE of the other Intel 7 series chipset do.

In general, the Ivy Bridge 'K', unlocked multiplier CPUs do NOT support vPro, ie, the i5-3570K and the i7-3770K do not support it. This also applies to Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Ivy Bridge CPUs like the i7-3770, and i5-3570 support vPro. You'll need to search through the Intel CPU specs to find the ones that do.

I assume vPro access is done through possibly the IME, or via AMT. That is all Intel supplied software, so researching it there is your best bet.

Never used this board, so can't tell you anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Never used this board, so can't tell you anything about it.
      Thanks for the response however and I mean no disrespect, but you are just telling me everything I already know. The purpose of this Post is asking for information from anybody who DOES know how vPro is enabled or accessed on this board. I already noted that I have been through the manual and there is NO information in relation to this, nor is there anythng on their site or forums (that I can find), which is bad form.

I use vPro on many other motherboards and know how to use it and all the requirements. ITs the lack of info on this board thats the issue.

At this point I think I'll go with a Brand I know works and has all the information on the manual. Perhaps next time and if more information/support becomes available from ASRockI might consider.

PS: I emailed ASRock support as well and haven't heard anything back, so support obviously isn't great either. In turn have decided to move on and stay clear of the brand which is a shame as looked interesting.

Comment

This implementation page is a great place to start with vPro: I run the Intel vPro Expert Center - which is an online community for all things vPro. We have engineers who monitor our discussion forums in order to get user questions answered. Feel free to pop over and chat with us!

Thanks,
        Michele Gartner
        @SmartChickPDX, @IntelvPro
        Intel vPro Expert Center

Comment

Originally posted by michelegartner View Post
          Feel free to pop over and chat with us!
          Thanks for the link Michelle, much appreciated and will certainly head over there for any queries I may have about vPro software.
          I may well end up testing/buying and using an Intel board as I believe support is a tad better? Intel Processor, Intel MOB, washed down with a splash of Intel vpro :-)

I was just interested in this ASRock board so thought I would check it out here prior to making final decision. Without a definative reply back from ASRock about method of accessing the vPro setup (usually F2 upon start up), I don't want to chance it. Aghh, I hate when a Support Companies don't respond to there "heresay" support forums or emails. Says one thing to me........... one is in trouble if one ever needed support................ in turn "avoid". Shame as there were many sales in this as I am a reseller

Comment

Working...
          X