Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme4 Cold Boot Problem with Bios v2.0

Hi,

i am using an ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 Mainboard (with bios 2.0). I installed an AMD FX-6200 processor and i use a be quiet Straight Power E9 CM 680 Watt power supply.

I have the following problem:
    When my PC is turned of for longer than approx. 10 minutes and i turn it on again it does not start at the first try. It does not even display the Power On Self Test Screen.
    The Dr. Debug displays 36 in this case. According to the manual this means: CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization.
    On the second or third try the PC starts without a problem and runs very good and stable.
    When i just press the reset button it does never help. I need to turn the PC off with a long press on the power switch and then turn it on again.
    I already tried the following:
    Checked all cables for proper connection.
    Checked whether the main board is mounted properly in the case.
    Started without USB device connected (with the exception of keyboard and mouse).
    Started the PC with only one DDR Ram Module.
    Loaded Bios defaults.

Nothing helped.

I did not overclock anything.

The behaviour when starting the PC is always identical: Two or three tries required when booting the PC.
    There is no problem when starting the PC from the hibernate mode.

When i received the board i installed the bios v 2.0 right after the first two or three start ups (so that i am not 100% sure whether the problem was not there with the older bios)

I also found that a very similar problem is described here:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...2-00-bios.html (second post/ solution described does not help for me)

My next try would be to use bios version 1.8.

Can s.o. please comment whether it is possible to downgrade the bios on this motherboard?

Thnaks for any comments.

Regards, chrizz.

Re: 990FX Extreme4 Cold Boot Problem with Bios v2.0

Originally posted by chrizz View Post

Can s.o. please comment whether it is possible to downgrade the bios on this motherboard?

Hi chrizz,

Yes. You can, as I stated in that linked post, down step to BIOS v1.80 without problem.

After flashing I always load bios defaults, save and exit, then upon rebooting do I make the appropriate/needed changes.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I flashed Bios version 1.8 and the problem disappeared. Just in case s.o. experiences the same problem.

Regards.

Comment

Hi Chrizz
        I'm having the same sort of problem, after it's gone to sleep when I try waking it up, it wakes up then the keyboard, mouse and video switch off, also have you noticed the volume lower with windows 8? My profile will not update, but bios is 2.0 and windows 8 pro
        Last edited by mach1korea; 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM. Reason: profile will not up date

Comment

Hi mach1korea.

i am using windows 7 64 bit and therefore did not notice a lower volume. Also i did not have any problem when the system wake up from sleep mode. I only expereinced problems with cold boot.
          Why don't you try using the bios version 1.8 as well?

chrizz

Comment

Working...
          X