Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z77 Pro3 - How to turn power off for USB ports with PC shut down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Pro3 - How to turn power off for USB ports with PC shut down?

just upgraded to this mobo. it appears that the USB ports are always powered on, even if the PC is shut down (not sleep/hibernate). this wouldn't be a problem except i have an AudioEngine D1 DAC that is USB powered. now it stays powered all the time.

i checked the BIOS, but didn't see anything for prevent the USB ports from staying powered when the PC is shut down. is this even possible?

Re: Z77 Pro3 - How to turn power off for USB ports with PC shut down?

no one?

Comment

It's common for USB ports to be powered up with the PC shutdown, with newer boards. That is for charging devices without turning on the PC, which in one way saves power. A PC that is shutdown does not turn off the PS completely, only the PS power switch will do that. Otherwise, the electrically controlled power switch on the PC's case would not work to turn on the PC.

You'd need to closely check your boards manual if there is any way to disable the powered USB ports. Are you sure that all of them are powered up all the time?

Your outboard DAC does not have a power switch for a reason, it's better (for the DAC) to keep it running all the time, unless you won't be using it for an extended period of time. Otherwise, turn the switch on the PS to off.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        It's common for USB ports to be powered up with the PC shutdown, with newer boards. That is for charging devices without turning on the PC, which in one way saves power. A PC that is shutdown does not turn off the PS completely, only the PS power switch will do that. Otherwise, the electrically controlled power switch on the PC's case would not work to turn on the PC.

You'd need to closely check your boards manual if there is any way to disable the powered USB ports. Are you sure that all of them are powered up all the time?

Your outboard DAC does not have a power switch for a reason, it's better (for the DAC) to keep it running all the time, unless you won't be using it for an extended period of time. Otherwise, turn the switch on the PS to off.
        pored through the manual and BIOS, but couldn't find anything. only settings for USB ports involve legacy support and turning them OFF completely. also tested all the ports by plugging my phone in - all ports are powered when the PC is shut down.

oh well, i guess this is the new mobos are. thanks for the reply anyway

Comment

I wonder if the USB hubs that have a power switch, and have a separate power supply, would allow you to shut off your DAC? I have a USB 2.0 hub made by Gear Head that has a power switch, and I was able to turn off the power to a USB LED light dongle. Another thing to fool with, but it does work.

I tried all the USB ports on my ASR Z77 board, with the PC shutdown, and every one still had power applied to it. To some a feature, to others a pain.

Comment

Working...
          X