G31m-S & Geforce 8600 GT boot problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G31m-S & Geforce 8600 GT boot problems

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything that addressed this particular problem I'm having.

I've been running an Asrock G31M-S rev 1.10 mother board which I just updated with an E8500 Core2Duo CPU. It has 4gb of RAM. BIOS version 1.60

A friend got a new system and gave me his Nvidia Geforce 8600GT PCIE video card but when the machine is rebooted or shut down, getting it back up it freezes at the blue Asrock screen with the big S. I hit the reset button a few times and eventually it will boot up. Sometimes I'm lucky and 2 or 3 resets will get it - sometimes it seems it'll never boot up.

I updated the BIOS to 2.10, but that had no effect.

It's obviously the video card, when I remove it the system boots fine to the onboard video. Once the system is up it works great and the 8600GT makes all my graphic stuff significantly faster. It also allows me to run ARMA II which the on-board vid can't handle - so I don't want to loose it.

Is anyone aware of this particular issue? I could find another video card, but would I have the same issue? Is there a fix? Is it a conflict with the onboard video? I couldn't find anywhere that you would 'turn it off' when using a card.

Re: G31m-S & Geforce 8600 GT boot problems

Well, while "it's obviously the video card," it's apparently not the only cause of the problem. I forgot about the little external USB bus and when that's unplugged the machine boots like a champ.

Comment

Working...
    X