Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z77 extreme 4 - HDD not recognized in BIOS

Hello,

Bit of an interesting problem. I have a new ASRock z77 extreme 4 build with the specs seen in my profile. I initially set up the system with just a Mushkin 60gb SSD and everything went fine. The rig booted up the first time, Windows installed, and everything was gravy.

I then tried to add on a 1 tb WD HDD, but I can't get it to show up in the BIOS.

I then tried a 128 gb Kingston SSD that worked fine.

The WD hdd does not work in either of the two ports that the SSDs work in. It does not work in a SATAII or SATAIII port. It does not work in IDE, AHCI, or RAID mode. It does not work if I put it in the Intel or ASmedia ports.

The WD hdd DOES work in two other computers (an older dell and a friends gaming pc with an ASUS motherboard; it works in both SATAII and SATAIII ports and is recognized in both other computers' BIOS).

This is a really bizzare situation. I have tried the WD hdd on the same cables/ports/settings as the two SSDs but it never works. I have tried the WD hdd by itself, with the SSDs disconnected, and it doesn't work.

I have tried 2 versions of the BIOS from ASRock's website, and it doesn't work. I've tried clearing the CMOS multiple times, doesn't work. I've tried using different 12v rails from the PSU, doesn't work.

It is so strange because both of the SSDs work fine in all of these configurations, but the WD hdd works in NONE of them. Again, the WD hdd DOES work, perfectly fine in any SATA or jumper configuration, in other computers.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks - g3w3hr

Re: z77 extreme 4 - HDD not recognized in BIOS

You're right, that is bizarre. It also sounds like you have checked it and done the things you should do in your situation.

Is that HDD a new drive? You see nothing about the HDD in the SATA Configuration screen in the UEFI, or Sytem Browser option in the UEFI, correct?

In your Z77 EX PC, can you hear that HDD starting? Just a thought, it seems like the HDD is not getting power in that PC. In a PC with SSDs and one HDD, for example, I can usually easily hear the HDD starting, since they make noise, unlike a SSD. Are you using the usual SATA power cables from the PS, or any kind of adapter cable?

I have two of these boards, and never had a problem like this, and I swap drives around all the time. Nothing else comes to mind, but I'm thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      You're right, that is bizarre. It also sounds like you have checked it and done the things you should do in your situation.

Is that HDD a new drive? You see nothing about the HDD in the SATA Configuration screen in the UEFI, or Sytem Browser option in the UEFI, correct?

In your Z77 EX PC, can you hear that HDD starting? Just a thought, it seems like the HDD is not getting power in that PC. In a PC with SSDs and one HDD, for example, I can usually easily hear the HDD starting, since they make noise, unlike a SSD. Are you using the usual SATA power cables from the PS, or any kind of adapter cable?

I have two of these boards, and never had a problem like this, and I swap drives around all the time. Nothing else comes to mind, but I'm thinking...
      It is new, and it is completely absent from UEFI.

I am beginning to think it is either a PSU problem or a MOBO problem. I'm leaning towards PSU becuase it doesn't sound like the HDD is spinning up at all. The thing about this that is strange is that DVD/CD rom drives and the SDDs work fine on the same SATA power connections. I've even tried some 4 pin to SATA adapters and different 12v rails to see if that fixed it but it doesn't. The only thing I can do now is find another PSU to test in this new PC.

Comment

Hey, It's been a while but I figure I should put the solution in here so that anyone else with the same problem can try it.

It turns out it was the power supply. I borrowed one from another PC temporarily for testing and it fixed the problem. I ordered a new power supply and the problem is completely fixed. I'm going to guess that one of the 12v rails or something in the first power supply was bad.

Anyhow, problem fixed! It was not the motherboard or hard drives (those are working fine).

tl;dr - Physical HDDs I was connecting weren't working in my new z77 ex4 computer; I tried different HDDs but same problem; replaced power supply and problem fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X