FM2A85X Extreme4-M No video when reset switch connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM2A85X Extreme4-M No video when reset switch connected

I started out with only the memory and cpu (A10) installed. No drives, no videocards or other pcie/pci cards. Just board power, cpu fan connector and pump connector (Corsair H60 heatsink and power/reset switches). Computer would power on but the display wouldn't come up and the heatsink fan wouldn't power up. Holding for 10 seconds did nothing. Pressing the reset switch seemed to turn the computer on again. By that, I mean that the heatsink fan would start and the system seemed to be doing something but still no post. I unplugged the reset switch and presto, video. Plugging it in again immediately turns the video off.

Anyone have this problem or know why the reset switch disables video? I tried another reset switch (same model) from my other computer and it does the same thing as well as try reversing the connector. I just hope it's something simple I am missing and not a bad board.

Re: FM2A85X Extreme4-M No video when reset switch connected

The first thing that comes to my mind here is to ask that you only have the proper number and correct placement of motherboard standoffs installed.

This reeks of a short.

But I can't tell by your post if in fact the mb is/was mounted inside the case or not when this is happening.

BTW, so that us other Users here know what you have there system-wise, please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' and select Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks for your information. I guess I certainly did jump the gun there. I updated my profile to reflect the computer in question. I'll add the second computer in the case some other time as that one is just a server.

Anyway, yes the board was installed when I tried. I made sure that only the necessary standoffs were installed. I have the computer up and running now without the reset switch. I did notice that the system can't restart or shutdown cleanly from Windows. It will say restarting or shutting down and the display will sleep but the system remains on. I have to hold the power button to shut it off. It will restart fine from UEFI or from Hirens running from a USB stick. It's really puzzling me If there isn't an obvious answer, I'll take the board out tomorrow and try running it when it's out of the case.

Comment

What BIOS revision are you using there? And no, in my asking this isn't a reference to update it. Only asking.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice McIntosh View Post
          I'll take the board out tomorrow and try running it when it's out of the case.
          Best idea to date. This will possibly give an understanding of possibly where the "fault' lies.

Comment

Working...
          X