Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 + i5 2500k no video after BIOS update

Hello people of Tweaktown,

My name is Andy and I have a major problem I cannot resolve. I've scoured the internet for a good 3/4 days before posting here, making sure I wasn't able to fix it myself before posting here (I could find similar threads, but none that were of any help OR with the exact same problem with my Mobo/CPU setup)

About a week ago I found out my PC was lagging at the Postscreen (15+ sec instead of 1.5 sec) and my windows logo stayed in my screen for ages. I thought it might have been a problem with my firmware my Asrock P67 Extreme4 (not gen3).

I did a flash upgrade from.1.80 (2.10) through windows (first time trying, but after many reviews it turned out to be safe, since I could not find any EZflash update on their website.. just a windowsupdate. I wish I hadn't done this, because after it completed, it prompted me to reboot.

Instead of rebooting, it shut itself off completely (Which I guess was necessary in order to load the new bios).
    2 seconds later it came back on by itself, fans spinning, dvdrom spinning, hdd whirring, and then it turned itself off, completely.
    another 2 seconds later it turns itself on, this time staying on.. but with problems persisting.

I thought I had bricked my motherboard, so I uninstalled it from my computer, bought a new one (P67 extreme4 Gen3 this time)
    Which is exactly the same motherboard, just a younger version.

I installed it back, connected everything the way it should be, and my problems came back. Postscreen started, took about 15 minutes.. then decided it would not boot. (No harddrive found).

I disconnected my OCZ Agility 2 SSD, and suddenly the problems vanished. Of course I didn't have a windows install on my HDD disks, so I had that done and my pc booted beautifully, just a lot slower than I'm used to.

My old rig has been running on 4500Mhz overclocked, perfect settings I found myself and had been running stable for the past 2 years without ever showing a BSOD, hanging, suddenly stopping or anything else. It was the best rig I had ever created.

After the windows installation and setting it up, making sure it ran smoothly, I tried overclocking it again, at 4500Mhz right away.
    Everything went well, same settings used before and just when I installed my headphone drivers, it suddenly shutdown itself as if I pressed my powerbutton. It turned itself off and lost my video signal. I reseated my GPU and memory, then put it back and after about 10 clear Cmos attempts, it would come back on again.

I decided I would flash the bios again, this time in EZFlash. I first entered the bios to make sure every setting was back to stock, so I loaded the defaults and pressed F10 to save and exit. This appeared and the bios froze.

Picture link below:

I reset my pc by using the button, and tried again. This time it worked.

I pressed a key to reboot, and voila.
    Same f*cking problem reoccured, which got me thinking my old motherboard wasn't faulty either, but this is something else.

This is where I need your help. I am so SO sorry for the long story, but I needed to be as thorough as possible in order for you guys to know what is wrong. If you're still reading, thank you very much.

The things I have tried;
    Minimal setup, (each dimm moved to all 4 slots of my motherboard, booting with only 1 or 2 dimms in different slots)
    Reseated my GPU in 2 different slots (can't access third because of caseproblems)
    Booted without Dimms/GPU (No beeping occurs)
    Clear Cmos/Removed Battery and Cleared Cmos/Removed Battery and manually jumper Clear Cmos/Leave power off, battery out over night (last night).

Nothing has seemed to have worked. Dr. Debug gives me a few codes; 64, A2, A3, A6, D6.

From what I know that has something to do with my videocard. I am using an HDMI connector to my screen. I have not tried a different GPU as I have none that fits in there, only an old AGP one.

My rig:
    Intel i5 2500k 3.30Ghz
    #1 (Asrock P67 Extreme4) + #2 (Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3) (#1 Biosed from 1.80 to 2.10 and #2 biosed from 1.10 to 2.10)
    Sapphire HD6950 first rev biosed to HD6970 (Identical cards, just unlocked it with the bios)
    Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz 4x2GB
    OCZ 600Watt PSU
    Optiarc DVDrom
    2x Samsung 500GB HDD (non raid)
    1x OCZ Agility 2 SSD (Not connected since it's broken)
    Corsair H60 Fluidcooled CPU cooler

I read somewhere that the 2.10 Bios supports Ivy bridge, while I run a Sandy Bridge CPU. I am thinking my CPU cannot be read for some reason, therefore not giving me any video signal.

Does anyone have ANY solution/experience with the matter?

I'd love to hear from you.
    I might even reward the golden tip. I am just really clueless and upset. :(

Re: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 + i5 2500k no video after BIOS update

I updated to gen3 back in Nov.
    I was suprised to find only 1 bios on the Asrock site..a gen 3 one.. but I thought wth.

Judging by the amount of "problems" posted with this upgrade,see the other threads here ,I may have been just lucky..or at least just lucky in the method.

To cut it short
    1. I reposted, set my bios to defaults (except for changing ide to ahci)
    2. went back into windows,dloaded the app and all the extras whether they were needed or not.
    I dloaded them to the root drive of my usb(2.0) memstick(as I thought I would be doing a non windows flash from there).

3.I clicked on the app(which I thought would expand out the uefi bios flash file..but no..bios reflash had started..erk

So anyway the process continued , machine rebooted.i left the stick in .I then had to manually reinstall axtu to the new version and I also clicked on anything else in the downladed folders that came with it.

I think I said before somewhere that I installed 2.1 from a usb stick..Thats true but checking back it was froma usb stick app started in Win7!.

Everything seems fine.. tho its probly made sod all diff having a gen 3 capable board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Usb pic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	753483

You seem to have a mixture of probs..starting before you did any gen3 bios upgrade at all?
    Buying another board ..especially the exact same type.. seems a bit extreme,sounds like you need to get your money back on that one before the 28 days is up or whatever.

The slow boot which started before the bios upgrade?
    My system is similar to yours,tho only 1 500gb hdd.
    I have that configured as bootable.ie there is a second copy of win7 on it so its just a q of specifying to boot from hdd or ssd..I rarely use the hdd windows,its way behind on updates and doesnt have a lot of my progs installed,but its usefull sometimes.Perhaps your ssd isnt 100%? does/did intel rst work ok in windows?

The video thing is a 3rd problem ?
    I originally had a b2 board(which I kept the bios chip from).. I exchanged this for a B3 one in early 2011.
    My b2 board worked fine first time.. the b3 one didnt!..it had a slightly later bios..1.6 I think from new.dunno if this had anything to do with it.

I only had one gx card at this time.

Since everything worked ok before on the b2..it shouldnt have been any component
    Could I have recieved a borked replacement mbrd..thatd be ironic.

It took about 2 days of reseating the gx card,clearing cmos,both with the button and manually before it finally fired up, I also got a lot of different codes.display not detected was among them.
    can you connect to the card other than hdmi?
    What finally got mine to fire up was turning on the monitor as the machine was posting.
    I mean the monitor was not on standby..I physically turned it on from cold as the machine was posting.

It was like"Hey look ..there really is a display connected" surge back to the board.

No problems since even with stripdowns and adding an extra gx card in sli.

Edit:Something I forgot to mention and it may not apply at all to you but if you have an ssd and a hdd connected up at the same time when installing windows,Win7 will put the system reserved file (100mb) on the largest available drive space,so more than likely on your hdd cos it has the largest parition.
    Last edited by kick; 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by Deionara View Post
      Hello people of Tweaktown,

My name is Andy and I have a major problem I cannot resolve. I've scoured the internet for a good 3/4 days before posting here, making sure I wasn't able to fix it myself before posting here (I could find similar threads, but none that were of any help OR with the exact same problem with my Mobo/CPU setup)

About a week ago I found out my PC was lagging at the Postscreen (15+ sec instead of 1.5 sec) and my windows logo stayed in my screen for ages. I thought it might have been a problem with my firmware my Asrock P67 Extreme4 (not gen3).

I did a flash upgrade from.1.80 (2.10) through windows (first time trying, but after many reviews it turned out to be safe, since I could not find any EZflash update on their website.. just a windowsupdate. I wish I hadn't done this, because after it completed, it prompted me to reboot.

Instead of rebooting, it shut itself off completely (Which I guess was necessary in order to load the new bios).
      2 seconds later it came back on by itself, fans spinning, dvdrom spinning, hdd whirring, and then it turned itself off, completely.
      another 2 seconds later it turns itself on, this time staying on.. but with problems persisting.

I thought I had bricked my motherboard, so I uninstalled it from my computer, bought a new one (P67 extreme4 Gen3 this time)
      Which is exactly the same motherboard, just a younger version.

I installed it back, connected everything the way it should be, and my problems came back. Postscreen started, took about 15 minutes.. then decided it would not boot. (No harddrive found).

I disconnected my OCZ Agility 2 SSD, and suddenly the problems vanished. Of course I didn't have a windows install on my HDD disks, so I had that done and my pc booted beautifully, just a lot slower than I'm used to.

My old rig has been running on 4500Mhz overclocked, perfect settings I found myself and had been running stable for the past 2 years without ever showing a BSOD, hanging, suddenly stopping or anything else. It was the best rig I had ever created.

After the windows installation and setting it up, making sure it ran smoothly, I tried overclocking it again, at 4500Mhz right away.
      Everything went well, same settings used before and just when I installed my headphone drivers, it suddenly shutdown itself as if I pressed my powerbutton. It turned itself off and lost my video signal. I reseated my GPU and memory, then put it back and after about 10 clear Cmos attempts, it would come back on again.

I decided I would flash the bios again, this time in EZFlash. I first entered the bios to make sure every setting was back to stock, so I loaded the defaults and pressed F10 to save and exit. This appeared and the bios froze.

Picture link below:

I reset my pc by using the button, and tried again. This time it worked.

I pressed a key to reboot, and voila.
      Same f*cking problem reoccured, which got me thinking my old motherboard wasn't faulty either, but this is something else.

This is where I need your help. I am so SO sorry for the long story, but I needed to be as thorough as possible in order for you guys to know what is wrong. If you're still reading, thank you very much.

The things I have tried;
      Minimal setup, (each dimm moved to all 4 slots of my motherboard, booting with only 1 or 2 dimms in different slots)
      Reseated my GPU in 2 different slots (can't access third because of caseproblems)
      Booted without Dimms/GPU (No beeping occurs)
      Clear Cmos/Removed Battery and Cleared Cmos/Removed Battery and manually jumper Clear Cmos/Leave power off, battery out over night (last night).

Nothing has seemed to have worked. Dr. Debug gives me a few codes; 64, A2, A3, A6, D6.

From what I know that has something to do with my videocard. I am using an HDMI connector to my screen. I have not tried a different GPU as I have none that fits in there, only an old AGP one.

My rig:
      Intel i5 2500k 3.30Ghz
      #1 (Asrock P67 Extreme4) + #2 (Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3) (#1 Biosed from 1.80 to 2.10 and #2 biosed from 1.10 to 2.10)
      Sapphire HD6950 first rev biosed to HD6970 (Identical cards, just unlocked it with the bios)
      Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz 4x2GB
      OCZ 600Watt PSU
      Optiarc DVDrom
      2x Samsung 500GB HDD (non raid)
      1x OCZ Agility 2 SSD (Not connected since it's broken)
      Corsair H60 Fluidcooled CPU cooler

I read somewhere that the 2.10 Bios supports Ivy bridge, while I run a Sandy Bridge CPU. I am thinking my CPU cannot be read for some reason, therefore not giving me any video signal.

Does anyone have ANY solution/experience with the matter?

I'd love to hear from you.
      I might even reward the golden tip. I am just really clueless and upset. :(

Hi not sure if you did this but I had an issue with my Bios update too but got it back to original then tried again and it worked, but make sure your ssd id set to solid state in bois setteing or the pc wont boot to win , and try different vid card then once up and running replace card, if you tried all this already sry for wasting your time. Good Luck

Comment

Hi guys, thank you for the replies.
        My main problem with your solutions is that I cannot enter a bios, nor will it load from a USB stick or the motherboard CD because I have no videosignal. My PC powers on, then turns off after 2 seconds. Then powers on again and stays in that state, every time I turn my Pc on from a turned off state.

I cannot revert my bios back to the original firmware since I need a visual for that.
        I'm going to go back to the store tomorrow and ask for my money back, if the problem is solvable at all, the solution will work for the original motherboard I have, because I've recreated the EXACT problem on the 2nd motherboard I bought.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I hope somebody will come up with an actual solution because being PCless sucks so much, especially since there is nothing on Tv.. and browsing the net from a phone is just stupid.

Comment

If you cant force the gx to work cos the bios is corrupted..,Im still not sure of the logic of buying a new mbrord and then flashing it a way that didnt work before and youre sure the ssd is dead?

Did you low level reformat the HDD before you installed windows on it?..because if you didnt you may have had the "old" system reserved file on it from the time when the ssd was in use(see above).

Make a copy of the utils/bios etc that came with the dvd on the second mbrd.(just because you have it)

If your not totally peed off ,seems like you have the options

1. buy a bios chip from asrock about $15 I think

a) get one with the old gen 2 bios on it
          b) get one with 2.1 on it.

Choice is up to you.. Im not sure what Id do,but in my case the 2.1 seems to be working ok and I already have a bios chip with a gen 2 bios that I liberated from my B2 board, before I returned it.

I suppose there is no chance your 1st board is an early B2 version?

If the board is still under guarantee,you could chance returning it tho the postage would probably cost morethan a replacement bios chip.

Didnt your problems start before you even got to reflashing?..You think it was the ssd.

If youre happy enough to chance a new bios chip and install windows again just on a totally blank low level formatted HDD ,go for that and test the ssd later.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Thanks for your input man,

Except I have solved the problem just 5 minutes ago. I am so happy that I first decided to post here, before rebuilding my PC.
            (Knocking on wood, in case of jinx.. yea I am that superstitious. :P)

Here's what I did. I took my old motherboard, placed it on a cardboard box with the isolation material that came with my new motherboard underneath it.
            A friend has borrowed me his 8800 GT card to test out, which initially gave me no videosignal either. I placed it in the PCI-e 2.0 slot on the bottom of the motherboard (I can't do that when its built into my case.)

I turned it on, and the booting problems vanished (2sec turn on, then power off and back on again).
            I got a videosignal and turned off my PC again.
            Afterwards I took out the card, reseated it in the top slot, and presto. Video signal.

(all of the above with the current 2.10 bios)
            Then I tried it with my with HD6950 and it wouldn't give me a signal anymore, not even in the PCI-e 2.0 bottom slot.

I went ahead and downloaded the L3.17 beta bios for SANDYBRIDGE instead of Ivybridge/Sandybridge support, it came out on the 11th of Januari 2013.
            Flashed it, rebooted still no video signal with my hd6950, only with my 8800.
            I placed the 6950 in the bottom slot, booted and got a videosignal finally. then placed it in the top slot, and to my surprise it FINALLY worked.

I still don't trust the Beta bios very much.. so i'll probably go back to my 1.80 version once I get things up and running.. sure its an older version.. but its been stable for more than 2 years.

Anyway.. thanks for all your writing and thinking effort, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Good stuff.
              Current Systems:

Comment

I just registered so i could answer to this topic. I also had this problem with this motherboard and I had communication with ASRock about it to solve this issue.

Problem is when you flash the 2.10 update it adds support for the ivy bridge CPU's and PCI-E 3.0 support, but since my video card is a PCI-E 2.0 video card (Geforce GTX 670 by MSI) I didn't receive any video signal. This was due that the upper two slots now expect a PCI-E 3.0 card, but since i'm still on a Sandybridge CPU this doesn't support PCI-E 3.0. They explained to my that normally I would have to downgrade the bios back, but since I had no signal this was not possible. And also because of the Intel parts also getting upgraded with the latest bios this was out of the question.

ASRock then did send me a new bios that had 1.00 programmed on the board, and as soon i fitted that one i received signal again on my card being in a PCI-E 3.0 compatible slot. I'm now just looking for a the latest bios available prior to the ivy bridge update. This should be 1.80 then i think?

Comment

So the presence of a pcie 2.0 card and a sandy cpu confused it..good job they put a warning up about that !

The non gen 3 bioses have been removed from asrock,cos of the problems of people trying to backflash, I think.

Im not sure about the ext 4 gen 3, but the last gen 2 bios I was using was 1.8(you can see it in the pic above)

There is also a beta 2.17 bios out for my board,Im not in a big rush to shift off 2.10...

If you are in contact with Asrock they should be able to provide a gen 2 pcie 2.0 compatible bios update,link to the older ones.
                  or maybe

or

some links here

Last edited by kick; 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM.
                  Current Systems:

Comment

Working...
                  X