Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xp/7 dual-boot on single AHCI ssd (z77 extreme4)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp/7 dual-boot on single AHCI ssd (z77 extreme4)?

There's already a thread that addresses this question, specifically this post. I want to do exactly what's described in that post: have two partitions on a single ssd and dual-boot from XP (32-bit) and windows 7 (64-bit) under AHCI mode, putting the drives on the Intel controller and enabling AHCI for that controller in the BIOS (UEFI) prior to installing the OSes.

But that thread was for an AMD system and I have an Intel. And unfortunately, in the section on using F6 for RAID drivers while installing Windows, my Extreme4 manual explicitly says, "AHCI mode is not supported under windows XP" (Quick-start guide, p. 43). Yet the guy here in post 444087 was able to do this. So maybe AMD-based ASRock mobos support AHCI, while intel-based boards do not? Or have new BIOS updates added support for AHCI in XP?

I guess I could try the other method mentioned elsewhere in that thread--installing XP as an IDE drive and then changing Windows settings so it'll still boot after resetting UEFI Storage Options to AHCI--but it would obviously be better to just install it as AHCI in the first place, like the post said. What I'm really hoping is that someone will come along and say, "The Extreme4 manual is actually wrong, go ahead and do your AHCI install..." Lacking that, just for my own satisfaction I'd like to know why this can be done on AMD systems and not Intels--thanks to anyone who can provide an explanation.

My drive is partitioned with an MBR, not GPT, if that makes any difference.

Re: xp/7 dual-boot on single AHCI ssd (z77 extreme4)?

intel boards support ahci for xp,i ran dual boot xp/win7 on my gigabyte x58 ud5 in ahci mode for both,i did the reg tweak after install for xp,it is more complex than for win7,otherwise you would need the ahci drivers ready and install them along with the xp install
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: xp/7 dual-boot on single AHCI ssd (z77 extreme4)?

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      intel boards support ahci for xp [. . .] i did the reg tweak after install for xp
      OK, I'll try the reghack. I was hoping someone would tell me that the XP install-time (F6) RAID drivers would also support AHCI, but I'll take what I can get. Thx for responding.

Comment

Working...
      X