Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting over. Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Would like to have an orderly list of Steps to follow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting over. Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Would like to have an orderly list of Steps to follow.

I'm hoping this isn't too much to ask for.

I've forgotten almost everything I used to know. I cannot find a tutorial on this/these forums with a step-by-step procedure to follow. So, I'm asking for help. I have ALL the parts installed into the case, but have not powered the system on yet.

Reference: My system:
    * MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K)
    * GRAPHICS: Intel Onboard
    * SOUND: Intel Onboard
    * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D
    * HDD (Internal): WD Black 500GB SATA III, 64 MB Cache, - WD5003AZEX
    * HDD (External, USB): WD "Elements" 500GB - does not have backup software included.
    * DVD/CD R/W drive
    * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Aluminum Tower
    * BROWSER: IE9
    * ANTI-VIRUS: AVG 2012 Internet Security, "Paid" Version.
    Note: This is a "stand-alone" single-user system connected to the Internet via AT&T DSL.

NEED ADVICE ON THE FOLLOWING: (These are just a few examples. Any other suggestions will be appreciated!).

-- Which ASRock software on its "Installation CD" do I actually need, and which ones should I avoid installing?

-- Which (non-IVY BRIDGE!) BIOS is the 'correct' one for my MB? I've been told (on this forum) that the default BIOS is the one to use, since other newer ones can, or do cause severe issues?

-- Which 3rd-party files do I need to download and have on-hand prior to installing Windows 7? For instance, certain drivers, HDD testing software, etc.

After all my hardware is installed, what is the proper order of steps to follow?
    etc.
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
    * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Re: Starting over. Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Would like to have an orderly list of Steps to follow.

I think its easier if you just install all the provided software from the disk..

later you can go into "programs and Features and Uninstall the few things you may not care for..Like Fast boot..that media software, etc..

You can find here any updates for your BIOS "flashed" As far as will it help or hurt, i suggest leaving it alone and see how stable the comp runs first...each BIOS update will tell you anything that it will fix...

You need NO drivers prior to installing Windows... ( Win 7 pro will do all that for you, along with anything on the Mobo disk that it may not install...

I always run Prime 85 , Memtest, after the Operating System is installed and set up including Windows updates.. That will tell you if your temps are good and if its stable..

I also like MwMonitor.. Core temp .. CCleaner .. Iobit Smart defragg.. And any other stress testing software you might use, and that is that ...

Hope this helps

Comment

Re: Starting over. Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Would like to have an orderly list of Steps to follow.

you have to "post" first from the mbrd bios.since its a gen 3 board it should have a ivy capable bios..nothing you can do about that.

dont connect your ext hdd until the machine is up and running cos the 100mb sys file might get transferred to it.(if doing raid installation,leave it connected..I havent seen an internal/external raid setup but ..
      Windows ,,format then installation..the options on the asrock dvd ,most of the xfast usb,xfast lan etc need windows installed first so its kinda moot.

cHECK THE SYSTEM REPOSTS AFTER THE INITIAL POST.
      CHECK THE MEMORY TIMING IS CORRECT..IT SHOULD THEORETICALLY BE ON XMP AUTO WITH..8-8-8-24 AT 1600(it looks like)

intel gx ok

intel onboard sound..well its realtek i think and you will need drivers for that.
      n so on
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks Harleyman and Kick for replying. Although I didn't see a step-by-step procedure, you both offered helpful hints which I will follow-up on.

Note to Kick, about the BIOS for Ivy Bridge... I'm going to steer far away from that one, since it has been commonly reported to be the wrong BIOS for use with Sandy Bridge. Many people with Sandy Bridge have had their systems screwed up because they applied that Ivy Bridge BIOS.

Reference: Here's just one thread topic on that issue (even though that MB is not my model, but it's still Sandy Bridge). There are at least a dozen similar reports on this forum.

I'm also going to avoid CCleaner.

I think I can muddle through to completion due to your replies. Much appreciated!!

Thanks! I guess I am done here.
        MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold
        * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Tower Aluminum * HDD: WD500GB SATA 6GB's 64MB Cache Caviar 'Black' (WD5003AZEX)

Comment

Avoid CCleaner? seriously?

I have used it for over 8 years trouble free.... I also install it on more comps than I care to count, all run flawless and no bad reports ever...Intresting...

Comment

Working...
          X