Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 gen 3 overheating causing system crash

Hello!

I'm having an overheating problem causing my system to crash in about 3 hours after it's been put to heavy work. I've been monitoring the Temperatures recently ( pic bellow).

After the 1st crash, more occur in a shorted period. It shuts down, fans stop. Starts running again in 2seconds. I've updated the BIOS as i've read it may be causing problems, i've updated all drivers and reinstalled the OS. I'm also running a processor cooler and a 650W PSU.

I still have the motherboard in warranty. Should i send it back or adress the problem in another manor? I'm getting pretty desperate as it screwed my previous PSU already.

Thank for the answers.

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 gen 3 overheating causing system crash

Hello and Welcome.

Please go HERE, scroll down and fill in the "System Specs' so that we know what you have there system-wise.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

done. The computer has not been overclocked however. I will try to monitor with another program also since the charts are quite unbelievable.
      Last edited by Gizzox; 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Given your screenshot of the system temps, etc, IMO they don't add up to the CPU overheating. Assuming they are partially correct:

The max CPU temp does not at all match what the max core temps were, they should be the same or very close when the CPU is under a heavy load.

The Vcore at 1.232V max, and the CPU package power at 50W, are not at all excessive for your CPU.

The video card's voltage is normal, and not showing high stress.

Your Noctua CPU cooler should handle your CPU fine, given it is mounted correctly.

Why do you think your problem is an overheating issue? Anything besides the temp readings?

Yes, try another monitoring program, I suggest HWiNFO64, free to download. Do not run more than one monitoring program at a time, that can cause incorrect readings.

Comment

alright, thank you. Since it's highly unlikely that the temps shown are accurate, is there maybe any other idea why the system could fail if it isn't an overheating problem? I have opened both computer case sides for now. But if it isn't a heat issue i cannot understand why it would need like 3 hours shut down. I would assume that every configuration mistake or anything simular to that would cause it to shut down randomly, not after a certain time.
          Like this:

start............................................. ......crash................crash..............cras h, let it rest start............................................. ...............crash................crash

If you can see what im trying to point at :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gizzox View Post
            After the 1st crash, more occur in a shorted period. It shuts down, fans stop. Starts running again in 2seconds.

I'm getting pretty desperate as it screwed my previous PSU already.
            And "it' might be getting ready to screw this one too, IMO. I'm talking PSU protection circuit(s) kicking in.

The reviews I can find on the Rasburo PSU's are underwhelming.

From RASURBO.com - EAP650 Specs
            Code:
            Connectors ------------------- Count

Mainboard 20+4 Pin ----------- 1x
            EPS 12 V 4+4 Pin ------------- 1x
            +12 V 4 Pin ------------------- 0
            PCIexpress 6 Pin -------------- 0
            PCIexpress 6+2 Pin ----------- 1x
            S-ATA 5 Pin ------------------ 4x
            HDD ------------------------- 2x
            Floppy 4 Pin ----------------- 1x

12v1 @ 21A
            12v2 @ 20A
            Your Rasburo EAP650. After connecting the PSU to the items in your sys config list you're only left with two open SATA power and the 4-pin floppy power remaining on the 12v2 rail.

And that's assuming you have the 2 120mm stock case fans plugged onto the MB for power. If you don't have the case fans plugged on the MB for power then I'm confused as to where they are getting power from as both the possible 4-pin molex PSU connections are used for the 2nd power to the 560ti.

ATX 20+4pin to the MB
            EPS 4+4pin to the MB
            6+2pin to power 1 of 2 of the 560ti's connectors
            Two 4-pin molex to 8(6+2)pin PCI-e adapter to power 2 of 2 of the 560ti's connectors
            One SATA power to the HD103SJ HDD (BTW, nice HHDs. I have seven of them)
            One SATA power to the AD-7260 ODD
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

so basicaly u're suggesting that i replace the PSU as it might not provide enough power due to the strange setup. Im sorry but im a newby when it comes to costumizing hardware since im usualy not doing it by myself.
              And since u are with no doubt a pro im more than willing to replace it, i'm just not sure what to look for exactly...
              I'be thankful if u could tell me if those are alright:
              coming from a Gigabyte Superb E720 720W that cought my attention

1x 20+4 pin - motherboard
              1x 12V CPU - Processor
              2x PCI-E 2.0
              7x SATA
              4x 4 pin peripheral
              1x 4 pin Floppy

and thanks a lot mate :)

Comment

If this is your power supply http://www.rasurbo.com/RASURBO%20201...20englisch.pdf, it looks like it's an older, very cheap 350 - 400 watt unit. The problem with cheap power supplies is that often can't deliver any where near their rated output and voltage regulation is poor. This puts a lot more stress on your motherboard, graphics card and other hardware.

It's important that the psu delivers clean and stable power.
                Some major brand name power supplies aren't all that good.

The least expensive psu that I would buy would have an 80 Plus bronze rating.
                The best psu review sites are JonnyGuru, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, PCPER, XbitLabs and TechPowerUp.
                These sites do rigorous testing and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their highly recommend models.

You won't go wrong with a Seasonic psu.
                Most models from Antec, Corsair, Super Flower and XFX are very good to excellent.

Buying a good quality power supply is important because it is the foundation of your system.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

okay, i just ordered a stronger PSU and i'll write if it solved the crashing once i get it installed in a few days. Thanks for the support and your time guys, u're great.

Comment

Glad to help out.
                    Be sure to test with other monitoring software such as HWiNFO64 freeware that was suggested in an earlier post.
                    Let us know which psu brand/model you bought and if it helps with the crashing problem.
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The Gigabyte Superb E720 is reportedly manufactured by Fortron, a name I trust.

The Gigabyte Superb non-E 720 is reportedly manufactured by Acbel, a name I'd stay far away from.

Please, let us know what PSU you ordered and how it goes with your new PSU.

Comment

Alright, i got the Gigabyte Superb E720 720W With an E

Comment

Originally posted by Gizzox View Post
                          Alright, i got the Gigabyte Superb E720 720W With an E :P
                          on the E model.

That's sounding promising there then considering no crashes and lower temps on the card.

Thanks for the note.

Comment

Working...
                          X