ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4+USB 3.0 External HHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4+USB 3.0 External HHD

Hi! I have a Fantom Drive USB 3.0 2TB External HHD attach to my system and I start up my system I have to remove the usb plug in order for the drive to load onto the system! this has been a real frustration for me lately the drive is plug into the 3.0 port of my motherboard. Is there something that I have not done for this to work as it should to get it to load automatically when I startup my system??? Now I'm thinking that because it has it's own power adapter that that's the reason for the having to reset it at startup, but I thought it would startup with the starting of my system! Can anyone please tell me what I'm not doing or what I'm doing wrong in this situation. Could there be something wrong with my usb 3.0 port?

Re: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4+USB 3.0 External HHD

Sleep states especially ASR Instant Boot can effect external USB drives.
    Instant Boot is the worst offender. I will assume you installed the latest USB 3.0 driver & UEFI versions.
    Last edited by Mustash; 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Are you using X-Fast USB? That can require you to disconnect and reconnect the USB device, although you should not need to do that if it has been activated for a USB port. A reboot may reset it, so it must be done again.

An external drive like yours will need its own power source, like it has, as the USB 3.0 connection only has a 5V rail, and the drive needs 12V. Plus it takes time for the drive to start up, you should start it before you power on the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Plus it takes time for the drive to start up, you should start it before you power on the PC.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

> the drive is plug into the 3.0 port of my motherboard

Any change if you plug into a 2.0 port?

Comment

Originally posted by therube View Post
            > the drive is plug into the 3.0 port of my motherboard

Any change if you plug into a 2.0 port?
            Why would I connect a 3.0 plug into a 2.0 port?? Parsec gave me the right solution! and I thank him for it But I also thank you for your input.

Comment

> Why would I connect a 3.0 plug into a 2.0 port?

Only to see if it made a difference to your situation.

> Parsec gave me the right solution

I hadn't realized that when I read the post.
              So starting the external drive - before the computer, worked.

Comment

Working...
              X