Win8 shuts down but M/B still awake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win8 shuts down but M/B still awake

For 2 weeks now, I've had this problem with Windows 8 Pro 64 when shutting down windows.

Shutdown was successful but all hardware (fans, LEDs, GPU, LAN etc) would still be running.

After trying every suggestion from a shipload of sources to no avail, I uninstalled Intel Smart Connect Technology (under the name of Asrock's app. even though I wasn't using sleep mode anyway).

My computer shuts down completely now.

I just thought I'd share this with you if anybody is having the same problem

Re: Win8 shuts down but M/B still awake

I have experienced this problem last year when i upgraded my OS Win7 to Win8 (Very first day of Windows 8 Retail release).
    I think it was a bug in Windows 8, where the shutdown process gets hanged.

But the issue was not seen consistently on every shutdown, only at times randomly.
    But within a month or so i stopped seeing this issue.

So better make sure you OS is completely up to date and also update your M/B bios.

Comment

Originally posted by pearleye View Post

But the issue was not seen consistently on every shutdown, only at times randomly.
      Bugger! Same issue persists with inconsistency. Not a complete fix.

Comment

Perhaps boot form a Linux CD & see if you can shut down from there, completely & consistently.

> Shutdown was successful but all hardware (fans, LEDs, GPU, LAN etc) would still be running.

Then how do you know it is "shut down"?
        And what do you do to start it back up again?

Comment

Originally posted by therube View Post
          Perhaps boot form a Linux CD & see if you can shut down from there, completely & consistently.

> Shutdown was successful but all hardware (fans, LEDs, GPU, LAN etc) would still be running.

Then how do you know it is "shut down"?
          And what do you do to start it back up again?
          Hi therube,
          Thanks for your suggestions.
          I booted from Ubuntu CD and complete shutdown was successful on first attempt, then further trials (3) after removing cd, closing tray, Ubuntu screen froze and hardware still running. Keyboard unresponsive.

Regular shutdown from Windows or Power button as follows-
          "Windows is shutting down"
          HDD spins down.
          Monitor is black (no cursor) but screen does not show "No Signal" message. (thru HDMI from gtx 660 Ti LEDs and fans on)
          Power to USB3 devices on
          Power to USB2 mouse and keyboard off
          Network LED flashing. Attempting network connection from another pc "not found"
          M/B shows Dr Debug LED showing- 05
          Hardware will only turn off by holding power button for 4-5 seconds.
          When Power button pressed again, Windows starts normally with no error messages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          From windows Restart command or restart button- Shutsdown normally, all hardware stops for 1 second, restarts and boots to windows OK.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It sounds like you are in S1 Sleep, which keeps everything running, but the CPU stop executing instructions. You could check for that in the BIOS, but I really think you are having problems with remnants of Smart Connect. Smart Connect has a driver and a utility, are you sure both are removed? I'm not sure how it works, but try checking Windows Scheduled Tasks for any entries that might be put there by Smart Connect.

Comment

Working...
            X