Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 2.80 Intel RAID UEFI how to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4 2.80 Intel RAID UEFI how to use?

Hi,

I would like to ask about the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard.

It states that Intel RAID UEFI is supported in P2.80 bios:
    ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z77 Extreme4 > Download
    (Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup.)

However, I am unable to see the Intel Rapid Storage Technology TAB when changing the controller from AHCI to RAID
    (from youtube Video on AsRock Z77 Extreme6 bios demo)
    ASRock New UEFI Technology - Faster Boot Speed for Your RAID system - YouTube

Screenshots

Missing Intel Rapid Storage Technology TAB when enabling RAID on AsRock Z77 Extreme4 (a new feature in 2.80 BIOS from ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z77 Extreme4 > Download)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	missing UEFI RAID.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	756171

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 2.80 Intel RAID UEFI how to use?

Hi Everyone,

Stupid of me, found it , tech support from AsRock excellent:

From AsRock Technical Support:

Please kindly try the following steps to build UEFI RAID volume.
    1. Enter BIOS > Advanced > Storage Configuration > Set [SATA mode] to [RAID mode]
    > ACPI Configuration > Set [CSM] to [Disable]
    2. Reboot system and enter BIOS again.
    3. Enter BIOS > Advanced > Intel Rapid Storage technology will appear at the bottom.

Thanks,

Jase

Comment

You haven't explained what you're trying to do, is this a new build, or is your OS already installed? If you installed your OS in AHCI mode you can't just change to RAID without a Windows Registry change. Otherwise, the PC won't boot.

Did you try setting the SATA mode to RAID, and save, exit, to restart and go into the UEFI again? That RAID configuration option won't simply appear by changing to RAID mode.

Also, the point of having that option in the UEFI, is for use with Ultra Fast booting Windows 8 64bit, which was installed for true UEFI booting (GPT partitioned OS volume, using a UEFI Windows 8 installation from a UEFI configured USB flash drive), since the usual Intel RAID Option ROM (which the new option just replaces) is not available when using Ultra Fast boot.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        You haven't explained what you're trying to do, is this a new build, or is your OS already installed? If you installed your OS in AHCI mode you can't just change to RAID without a Windows Registry change. Otherwise, the PC won't boot.

Did you try setting the SATA mode to RAID, and save, exit, to restart and go into the UEFI again? That RAID configuration option won't simply appear by changing to RAID mode.

I followed the instructions from AsRock,

AsROck Email Reply:

1. Enter BIOS > Advanced > Storage Configuration > Set [SATA mode] to [RAID mode]
        > ACPI Configuration > Set [CSM] to [Disable]
        2. Reboot system and enter BIOS again.
        3. Enter BIOS > Advanced > Intel Rapid Storage technology will appear at the bottom

I Intially followed their youtube video, but it was for their Extreme6, ASRock New UEFI Technology - Faster Boot Speed for Your RAID system - YouTube

Also, the point of having that option in the UEFI, is for use with Ultra Fast booting Windows 8 64bit, which was installed for true UEFI booting (GPT partitioned OS volume, using a UEFI Windows 8 installation from a UEFI configured USB flash drive), since the usual Intel RAID Option ROM (which the new option just replaces) is not available when using Ultra Fast boot.
        I was initially confused as on the Extreme6, it will show the Intel Rapid Storage under Storage under Sata Controller (RAID) but on the Extreme4 its under Advanced!

If you do not enable UEFI RAID and setup in UEFI Bios, Booting using Ultra fast boot will fail !!!! Also you need to get the Intel RST F6 drivers to install windows 8 properly (32/64bit according to your OS)!!!

Hope this clears it up for you mate.

Cheers,

Jase

Comment

It's quite clear to me, I have two PCs with the ASR Z77 EX4 board that are UEFI booting Windows 8 in RAID mode. The RAID utility will appear under advanced options, when you install your OS in RAID mode, regardless of the setting of Fast Boot. Even when Fast Boot is disabled, the RAID utility option is available.

Yes, Ultra Fast boot only works for a UEFI booting a Windows 8 installation.

Comment

Working...
          X