AsROCK FM2A85X Extreme 6 temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsROCK FM2A85X Extreme 6 temperatures

My girlfriend is using this board along with the A-10 5800k (the bios version is 2.00). She noticed when she applied new thermal grease ( the board is in use for only 4 months) that the chipset radiator and the vrm one are overheated and also there were no thermal grease. The temperatures showed in bios were increasing from 35 to 60!!!!!!!!!! she checked again after 4 hours of use the thermal grease : is like it was evaporated. She has a stock cooler and no changes made to bios. I changed the PSU : Club3D bronze 1kw, touhpoergrand 750W gold, LEPA G750 Gold 750W, thortech 850W bronze = same temperatures.I attached a photo with the results from hwmonitor and aida. Should she be worried about something?

thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dacul; 05-09-2013, 05:07 AM.

Re: AsROCK FM2A85X Extreme 6 temperatures

I don't have this board, but the situation is curious and interesting.

You didn't mention this, but apparently the chipset and VRM temperatures increased after the addition of TIM, so what were the temps before the work was done?

What temp readings are of the chipset and VRMs? AUXTIN and TMPIN0, or TMPIN3?

I use a different monitoring program, and I know what reading is for the chipset, but not for the VRMs. Are you sure the VRMs have a temp sensor? Just looking for verification of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I don't have this board, but the situation is curious and interesting.

You didn't mention this, but apparently the chipset and VRM temperatures increased after the addition of TIM, so what were the temps before the work was done?

What temp readings are of the chipset and VRMs? AUXTIN and TMPIN0, or TMPIN3?

I use a different monitoring program, and I know what reading is for the chipset, but not for the VRMs. Are you sure the VRMs have a temp sensor? Just looking for verification of some kind.
      The temperatures were the same before and after. I think it could be a faulty motherboard or even processor.Those two programs, AIDA64 and Hwmonitor i found them to be more accurately.Maybe CoreTemps? I don't know other programs. And yes the situation is weird,this problem started since the first day of use.Perhaps i should throw the stock cooler and buy a new one, but still i find that the motherboard is faulty.She doesn't do much things with that pc, web stuff and sometimes photo editing.And the question is why are those radiators overheating and also what is with that big difference of reading temps, showed by the program monitor and the bios?

Comment

> when she applied new thermal grease

Why did she do that?
        Or did the CPU (was it an OEM?) not come with HS with TIM pre-applied?

And if it did not, then how did she apply the TIM initially? How much & in what pattern?

> there were no thermal grease

> it was evaporated

How do you determine that?
        Remove the HS/F? If so, then you would need to remove existing & reapply TIM.

> radiators overheating

Is that shown in your screenshots?

> what is with that big difference of reading temps, showed by the program monitor and the bios

What temps are being shown in the BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by therube View Post
          > when she applied new thermal grease

Why did she do that?
          Or did the CPU (was it an OEM?) not come with HS with TIM pre-applied?
          she changed the pre-applied after a restart with black screen (she had win8 and made an update to the latest catalyst version).
          And if it did not, then how did she apply the TIM initially? How much & in what pattern?
          she did it well
          > there were no thermal grease

> it was evaporated

How do you determine that?
          Remove the HS/F? If so, then you would need to remove existing & reapply TIM.
          when she removed the heatsink
          > radiators overheating
          yes and you could cook some eggs
          Is that shown in your screenshots?

> what is with that big difference of reading temps, showed by the program monitor and the bios
          increasing in few seconds from 32-33 to 56

What temps are being shown in the BIOS?
          Last edited by dacul; 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Bios Version 2.10 is out.Try it.After upgrade make a bios reset just to be sure.Keep in mind that too much thermal paste can bring negative results.
            For fans/temps try Speedfan SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer lot of people had temperature issues with A10-5800k.
            Last edited by Akis; 05-10-2013, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dacul View Post
              My girlfriend is using this board along with the A-10 5800k (the bios version is 2.00). She noticed when she applied new thermal grease ( the board is in use for only 4 months) that the chipset radiator and the vrm one are overheated and also there were no thermal grease. The temperatures showed in bios were increasing from 35 to 60!!!!!!!!!! she checked again after 4 hours of use the thermal grease : is like it was evaporated. She has a stock cooler and no changes made to bios. I changed the PSU : Club3D bronze 1kw, touhpoergrand 750W gold, LEPA G750 Gold 750W, thortech 850W bronze = same temperatures.I attached a photo with the results from hwmonitor and aida. Should she be worried about something?

thanks
              Starting over, the only possible temperature issue is with the CPU and the CPU cooler. That could be caused by what looks like a high VCore, with a low of 1.20V, and up to 1.4V. I'm not familiar with your CPU, but those voltages seem high IMO, and it seems that none of the CPU power saving options (CoolNQuiet) are enabled. The stock CPU cooler is usually not very good, and it may have to much thermal grease, since more is not better.

I still question the conclusion of overheating chipset radiator and VRM. They rarely if ever have thermal sensors that are displayed in the BIOS, I've frankly never seen temperature readings for those components in a BIOS. I'll again ask what temperatures do you think are of the chipset and VRM? Chipsets tend to run hot anyway, much hotter than a CPU when the PC is at idle. A 40C - 60C chipset temperature is normal.

VRM's can also run hot, and changing (or adding) thermal compound is not simple. The VRM heat sink may have a thermal pad, not grease, and adding grease to it will just make the cooling worse. The "evaporated" grease makes no sense, it is made to stay intact at temperature of 100C+.

Removing the VRM and chipset heat sinks correctly would mean taking the board out of the PC case, since they are either screwed in from the bottom, or have push pins with springs, that cannot just be pulled out from the top. If they were removed any other way, their mounting was probably damaged.

We also have no idea what PC case the board is mounted in, or how many fans are being used for cooling, what size fans, etc.

I hate programs like AIDA that use generic names (AUXTIN, TMPIN3) that identify nothing. Also, every reading shown is not based on real data, the program cannot know what data it will receive from the sensors and the chip reading the sensors. It depends on what has been implemented on the board, there is no standard for that. IMO, the best monitoring program is HWiNFO64, which is free. Try that for a different opinion on your temperatures.

Comment

Working...
              X