Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asock extreme4 Z77 - error A2, CMOS light on

My build:(disregard prices)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($50.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($253.29 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Antec 302
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $913.20

I just a built a new pc from scratch using all new parts. It initiallly gave me an A2 error, but posted when I used a DVI output to monitor. Got windows installed, everything was peachy keen. After installing the video card drivers several times I could not get my system use the dedicated video card, only Intel 4000. In device manager my card was shown as "Unknown device," but in the bios the mobo knew there was a card in the PCIe slot.

I saw a few people on reddit with this same board saying it needed a CMOS clear to recognize some cards, so I tried that. Now when I boot, all fans and drives turn on, but I get Dr debug error A2 and A6 and no post. The clear CMOS button is always lit.

Anyone have any advice?

Re: Asock extreme4 Z77 - error A2, CMOS light on

Remove the battery?
    Mobo: ASrock Z77 Exteme4
    CPU: i5-3570K 4.2G
    CPU Heatsink : Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: Ripjaw F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB
    GFX: MSI GTX650
    PSU: Lepa 500W
    SSD: PNY XLR8 240GB (C:)
    SSD: OCZ Agiliity 3 240GB (refurb)
    Storage: Seagate 7200.12 1TB
    Storage: Seagate 7200.12 500GB

Comment

To clear things up (hopefully), remove the video card from the board, connect the monitor to the onboard video, and try to boot the PC again.

Are you still using the OS drive only, and to which SATA port is it connected?

If you can get Windows to boot, do not install the video card yet. First uninstall the video driver for the card, which you said you installed. You should not install the video card driver before the card is installed in the PC.

When using the video card, your board will have two sources of video output (if both are connected), you must select which one to use in the BIOS. You did not mention performing this step. The selection option is in Northbridge Configuration, which must be set to PCI Express to use the video card.

If Windows boots fine using the onboard video, and after uninstalling the video driver, restart the PC, and try the following first. When complete, shutdown and install the video card. Connect your monitor to the video card, and disconnect the onboard video from any monitor or TV. Start the PC, and the board should detect the video card as the only thing connected to a monitor. The PC will start in a low resolution mode without a video driver, but that is fine and will be fixed soon. Once the PC starts with the video card, run the video card's driver installation program (right click on it and select Run As Administrator.) Then restart the PC to start the PC with the new driver, which will likely start in the cards normal resolution.

If that does not work, you may need to have both video devices connected to the monitor, and go into the BIOS and select the video card as described above.

Comment

I am only using a single hard drive and a dvd drive, the latter is plugged into the A1 sata3 port and the former to the 0 sata3 port. I will give these suggestions a try after work tomorrow, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
        X