Understanding supported memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding supported memory

Hi. I'm planning on putting together a new system using a Z77 Extreme6 and i5 3570K CPU, but I'm trying to figure out the memory to use. The way I understand it, DDR3 1600 is the fastest memory without overclocking. To use faster memory, would I actually need to overclock the CPU as well? If so, I'll probably just stick with the DDR3 1600 since I don't like to overclock. I'd like to put in 16GB of memory. Would it be better to put in a 2x8GB kit or 4x4GB? On my old system (different brand MB), it was recommended to stick with 2 sticks instead of 4 due to voltage issues. Is there any such recommendation with the Extreme6 or will a 4 stick kit work without BIOS tweaking?

Thanks.

Re: Understanding supported memory

If you use an Ivy Bridge CPU like your i5-3570K (or a Sandy Bridge CPU), you do not need to OC your CPU in order to OC your memory. The OC memory settings are independent of those for the CPU on IB and SB platforms.

There is no specific limitation for this board regarding two vs four DIMMs, although the number of compatible/tested 8GB DIMMs is much smaller than 4GB DIMMs. The only caveat in the manual about the use of two or four DIMMs is this:

Note5: For system stability, use more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (4 DIMMs) when overclocking.

In my experience with an ASRock Z77 EX 4 board, using four DIMMs that are moderately over clocked (1866 - 2000), heat is not an issue, although the memory I use can run at low voltages (1.35V) at those frequencies, and the DIMMs have no heat sinks at all. I use 4 - 4GB DIMMs just fine.

Comment

Working...
    X