Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z77 Fatality Pro - can't install win7 x64 on 3TB WDC GPT partition using GPT install USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Fatality Pro - can't install win7 x64 on 3TB WDC GPT partition using GPT install USB

Hello. I can't install Win7 x64 on a 3TB Caviar Black WDC which I have formatted in GPT. I am attempting to use a USB which I have formatted in GPT with Win7 X64 using Rufus tool - it shows up as a GPT partition but still Win 7 won't install on the GPT partition on my 3TB drive - install says "cannot install on GPT partition" or somesuch. Anyone here, perhaps the Asrock tech, can help me please? (and why won't the enter key on my KB allow me to make a new paragraph/break on this forum?)

Re: Z77 Fatality Pro - can't install win7 x64 on 3TB WDC GPT partition using GPT install USB

Have you tried a google search using: how to gpt windows 7 boot drive for more information?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: Z77 Fatality Pro - can't install win7 x64 on 3TB WDC GPT partition using GPT install USB

Why would you format the USB flash drive as GPT? That is unnecessary for a Windows installation media, and may be related to your problem.

How and where did you format the HDD as GPT? Have you removed all other drives from the PC that you are using to install Windows? If you have other drives connected while doing a Windows installation, you'll have issues later.

Probably the most important factor is making sure you are using the Intel SATA ports, NOT the ASMedia SATA ports. The ASMedia ports are the four at the top of the "stack" of ports, as viewed with the board mounted in the PC case. They may say they are "SATA 6Gb/s", but their performance is poor and Windows will not load a driver for the ASMedia SATA chipset during an installation, and just fail.

All of these things are not related to any mother board, and are simply Windows installation issues.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
        Have you tried a google search using: how to gpt windows 7 boot drive for more information?
        Of greater import, my "enter" key is not working as a paragraph break with this forum - any idea how I can do breaks (never mind, just worked it out- switch to "source mode").

Following this:

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

I used Rufus as directed and made a bootable UEFI USB stick, then used F11 to boot from the UEFI stick.

It loads files, then generates a "Windows boot manager - 0xc0000225 unexpected error" message and will not enter the installation GUI.
        I have also used diskpart to manually create a USB installation stick - per:

Anybody gotten the DVD to boot UEFI? - Microsoft Community

I have googled and researched until my head aches, still getting the error above on F11 boot from UEFI stick.
        I am thinking perhaps the BIOS is problematic - has anyone installed WIn 7 x64 on a GPT >2TB drive at all?
        Is the BIOS UEFI V.2 or earlier - I can't find that information at all.

cheers

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Why would you format the USB flash drive as GPT? That is unnecessary for a Windows installation media, and may be related to your problem.

How and where did you format the HDD as GPT? Have you removed all other drives from the PC that you are using to install Windows? If you have other drives connected while doing a Windows installation, you'll have issues later.

Probably the most important factor is making sure you are using the Intel SATA ports, NOT the ASMedia SATA ports. The ASMedia ports are the four at the top of the "stack" of ports, as viewed with the board mounted in the PC case. They may say they are "SATA 6Gb/s", but their performance is poor and Windows will not load a driver for the ASMedia SATA chipset during an installation, and just fail.

All of these things are not related to any mother board, and are simply Windows installation issues.
          The reason I would format the USB stick as GPT is because it was recommended on Windows 8 Forums:

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

My target HD is 3TB and can only be recognized by a UEFI BIOS in full size as a GPT drive - it is necessary to install Win 7 x64 on this GPT target drive using a UEFI BIOS (v2.0) *and* a UEFI installation medium - hence, the GPT stick. I used RUFUS per instructions, wiped partitions off the HD and it will not work after loading. If you don't use a UEFI installation drive (in my case, the USB stick) then it will load installation files but will refuse to install Win 7 on the GPT drive *because* it is a GPT drive. Yet, for me to get the full benefit of the 3TB drive, it must be GPT.

How and where the 3TB drive was formatted GPT would seem irrelevant, but for your question I used EaseUS Partition Master and also Mini Tool Partition Wizard 7 as they give similar but not identical results. I have disconnected all drives but the 3TB drive. The 3TB drive is definitely GPT.

However, I was unaware of the difference between the native Intel controllers and the Asmedia controllers - I think it is on an Asmedia controller, so I will swap for the primary Intel controller and get back to you on the results. That may be a very good point.

regards

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Well you hit the nail on the head! I switched the drive to the Intel primary port and I have now installed Win 7 X64 on the 3TB drive in GPT so I get the entire 3TB (less overheads). I have now created a 2TB partition behind the three in front (weird, a 100MB boot manager, another 100MB "reserved", then my ~900GB Win 7 installation - 3 partitions to make UEFI/GPT work!) to experiment with as a data drive or I may try for dual boot or a few other things.

Thanks for your suggestion - the ASmedia ports are not as robust as the Intel ports, and that fixed the issue.

It is clearly OK to run Win 7 off a >2TB drive in GPT mode - there is a lot of misinformation on the net about this. Maybe a GPT sticky for those who want to install very large boot drives?

regards

Steve Hill

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hill View Post
              Well you hit the nail on the head! I switched the drive to the Intel primary port and I have now installed Win 7 X64 on the 3TB drive in GPT so I get the entire 3TB (less overheads). I have now created a 2TB partition behind the three in front (weird, a 100MB boot manager, another 100MB "reserved", then my ~900GB Win 7 installation - 3 partitions to make UEFI/GPT work!) to experiment with as a data drive or I may try for dual boot or a few other things.

Thanks for your suggestion - the ASmedia ports are not as robust as the Intel ports, and that fixed the issue.

It is clearly OK to run Win 7 off a >2TB drive in GPT mode - there is a lot of misinformation on the net about this. Maybe a GPT sticky for those who want to install very large boot drives?

regards

Steve Hill
              Good, I figured that was the problem. The Intel SATA ports are the primary SATA interface on the board, and Windows has a driver for it. That driver will work on the ASMedia SATA interface, but that chip is the secondary SATA interface and is not seen by Windows for several reasons.

Yes it is fine to use Windows 7 on that drive, the GPT formatting is necessary for all the logical block addresses (LBA) of any disk larger than 2.2TB to be addressed, MBR formatting cannot do that. Beyond providing the ability to address the entire drive, there is nothing negative about it that causes problems with Windows. GPT formatting is the standard fix for HDDs larger than 2.2TB, when used with Windows. I'm surprised the HDD manufactures don't seem to supply at least a warning message about this with their products, since it is still not common knowledge, but not a secret. All this is not an ASRock issue, it will happen with any mother board and drives larger than 2.2TB when used with Windows.

I see EightForums added to their instructions about creating a UEFI bootable USB flash drive for installing Windows. Using the Rufus software is new and was not present when I read that guide. BTW, the USB flash drive was not formatted as GPT, but FAT32, the GPT entry is for the partition scheme of the target drive for Windows.

Comment

Working...
              X