X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC shutdown and sleep problem

Solved! Clearing CMOS fixed.

(Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP)
    My problem is split into two, but i believe they are related.

firstly my computer wont shut down all the way. It turns off the monitor but all the components remain on. I have to either unplug it or hold the power button.
    Secondly, once my computer has gone to sleep it wont wake up. Again I have to either unplug it or hold the power button.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attempted fixs:

i did have a brief look in bios, but didn't see anything of importance, though not 100% sure what to look for.

Running "powercfg /energy" shows a couple of things, would it help to post that? Only one that looked promising was "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend"

Posts i read recommend that i change power management in device manager, though all seem ok appart from mouse and keyboard would not let me select the options.

I have a bunch of things plugged into the USBs, though i dont see why this would effect it.
    Last edited by Zoladex; 08-02-2013, 05:34 AM.

Re: PC shutdown and sleep problem

Bumpty Dumpty

Comment

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "all the components remain on" ... many USB devices could still be powered when the computer is off, is that it?

I have no idea what might be causing your problems really. I can only suggest that you strip the system to a bare minimum and start testing from there by adding bits one at a time, as troubleshooting really is about figuring out what is not the problem.

It could be related to some power savings bios settings as well I suppose. Advanced Configuration -> ACPI configuration maybe, and the various *state settings under CPU configuration. You'd have to go through disabling them systematically, see if changing anything improves anything.

Comment

i'll try a few of those thanks.

By compenents i meant that all the fans and GPU are all still on. When the system goes to sleep it seems to turn them all off, but then i cant wake the darn thing up lol. so i have to reboot anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoladex View Post
          (Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP)
          My problem is split into two, but i believe they are related.

firstly my computer wont shut down all the way. It turns off the monitor but all the components remain on. I have to either unplug it or hold the power button.
          Secondly, once my computer has gone to sleep it wont wake up. Again I have to either unplug it or hold the power button.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Attempted fixs:

i did have a brief look in bios, but didn't see anything of importance, though not 100% sure what to look for.

Running "powercfg /energy" shows a couple of things, would it help to post that? Only one that looked promising was "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend"

Posts i read recommend that i change power management in device manager, though all seem ok appart from mouse and keyboard would not let me select the options.

I have a bunch of things plugged into the USBs, though i dont see why this would effect it.
          First, is this a new build that has done these things from day one, or did one or both of your problems just start at some point?

The shutdown that isn't a shutdown sounds like you're going into S1 sleep, your description fits that perfectly. How you've got that enabled, if it actually is, is the question. I don't know your boards BIOS, but it might be a setting in the ACPI options, possibly Suspend to RAM. You mentioned the powercfg command, have you been fooling around with that?

The wake from Sleep thing you haven't described well, what methods do you use to wake up the PC? If the mouse or keyboard do not do that, a normal press of the power button should do it. Power button settings can be found in the advanced Windows Power options, for each power plan.

Comment

(big picture lol, thought would be download link)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I found i can take screen shots of my bios lol. I uploaded the ACPI page.

Yes this is a brand new build and i believe its had this problem from day one. Though i dont recall having it before i installed the graphics card(a week after having a running computer), not 100% sure on that though.

As for the powercfg i only read about how to make a list of problems, i got 5 errors, 16 warnings, 13 informational. I did also disable Hibernation in there as it required a huge amount of space.

As for the sleep, i have it set to sleep after 30mins of doing nothing. So when i come back after a while the power light is flashing, assuming that is it sleeping. It doesn't respond after that, no amount of mashing the keyboard or mouse works, not even pressing the power button. I have to hold down the power button to switch it off then turn it on again.
            Shut down is sorta the same. Strange that restart works fine, all the compenents switch off briefly.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Zoladex; 07-24-2013, 05:15 AM.

Comment

If you can get that powercfg /energy report uploaded (via Manage Attachments at the bottom of the screen) or set up a link to it so it can be seen, that might give us a hint about what is going on.

Comment

Attached, though seem its PC personal lol.
                Attached Files

Comment

i seem to have parcially fix the sleep problem, but removed the point of it lol.

I tried disabling Suspend to RAM. It appears to still go to sleep, but now i can wake it up with the mouse or power button. However while asleep it seems to only turn off the monitor and the Fans remain powered.

Comment

Still not fixed :(

Read that it is possible a SSD can cause problems with some setting, however i tried disabling Check ready bit and ACPI HPET table and it makes no difference.

I have discovered that while shutdown/sleep (or attempting to) all fans remain on and i can even open the CD drive lol.

Anyone discovered a fix yet?

Do Asus Rock not forum support there boards?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoladex View Post
                      Still not fixed :(

Read that it is possible a SSD can cause problems with some setting, however i tried disabling Check ready bit and ACPI HPET table and it makes no difference.

I have discovered that while shutdown/sleep (or attempting to) all fans remain on and i can even open the CD drive lol.

Anyone discovered a fix yet?

Do Asus Rock not forum support there boards?
                      Do you have a Deep Sleep option? If so set it to S5. If you use sleep, I think you want S4/S5 Enabled. Had the same issue with my Z87 Extreme9.
                      Last edited by loveha; 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

i tried changing s5 to s4/s5, but seems no different. Strange that on restart, after hanging for a bit, it turns everything off...

Comment

A solution was found!

Clearing the CMOS solve it, and also another problem i was unaware of. (Save&Exit bios used to take 30s, now its instant)
                          Apparently, its common solution to most problems on Asus MB lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X