X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclock settings disappeared from BIOS

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k

I was using a mild overclock of 4.3GHz stable just to keep stock voltages. I bought a 32" monitor but for a strange reason I wasn't getting any signal from HDMI, so I hooked up to my old 23" to update the BIOS.

After the BIOS update to 1.80, my overclock settings seems to disappeared from BIOS menu.

- There is no more "Per Core" option under "CPU Ratio".
    - If I select All Cores, BIOS refuses to go over 38 multiplier.
    - Additional Turbo Voltage setting disappeared.
    - Internal PLL Overvoltage setting disappeared.

I tried to CLEAR CMOS many times, even flashed old BIOS way down to 1.40 but my overclock settings seems to be gone.

If I try Advanced Turbo 30 or Load Optimized CPU Settings (any clock), under Windows my cores goes only up to 3.6GHz (all 4 cores in turbo), these two "automatic" overclock settings seems to have no effect.

This makes no sense, how my overclock settings disappeared? Even trying to re-flash they won't come back.

I have a video showing this issue, please watch in HD with annotation on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPikTbuRwIo

Re: Overclock settings disappeared from BIOS

More odds.

I installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to see if I could overclock via software, I know it should work because I tested this Intel utility before, and Intel Xtu shows my 3570k Turbo Overclockable as FALSE:

I cannot move core multiplier sliders, they are disabled:

Also, IGPU seems to not work, no video from HDMI, VGA or DVI. Share Memory, IGPU Multi-Moniter and [Onboard] option from Advanced > North Bridge Configuration > Primary Graphics Adapter disappeared.

I can't believe a simple BIOS update put me in all this trouble. BIOS updates are normal and should normally be done by end users without problem, but this seems to have permanently removed my overclock capabilities, even going back to previous BIOS versions won't get my overclock settings back.

I tried to remove the CPU, GPU, Memory, CLEAR CMOS, removed battery but nothing helped.

ASrock please respond, this is a very strange issue.

Other users reporting the same problem with a different ASrock motherboard:

Last edited by Gacrux; 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Screenshots:
      Main Bios Screen showing my 3570k and latest BIOS and ASrock Z77 PRO4 board

System browser confirming my CPU and chipset:

Per core setting not available. Internal PLL Overvoltage also disappeared:

No Share Memory, GPU Multi-Moniter and [Onboard] option from Advanced > North Bridge settings Configuration > Primary Graphics Adapter settings:

Comment

Did you unplug the A.C. power cable from the wall outlet before you cleared your CMOS and/or removed the mobo battery?

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
        forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
        profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
        Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Yes, I unplugged AC Power Cable for CLEAR CMOS and battery removal. Actually, I completely disassembled everything.

Here's my complete specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k
          MB: Asrock Z77 Pro4
          MEM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133
          VGA: ASUS GeForce 660Ti DirectCU OC
          COOLER: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 (Push/Pull)
          AUDIO: ASUS Xonar DGX
          PSU: SeaSonic S12II Bronze 520W
          CASE: Aerocool Strike-X GT Black
          FANS: Cooler Master Xtraflo 120 (x8)
          HDD: 2 x Seagate ST3500418AS (RAID 0)
          OTHER: NZXT Sentry 2
          KEYBOARD: Tt e-Sports Meka G1 ABNT
          MOUSE: A4Tech X-718BK
          DISPLAY: LG Flatron W2353V (DVI)

I emailed ASrock tech support with a very detailed message, hopefully they will answer with a solution and no simple "send to RMA" message because a single BIOS update removed my OC settings is absurd and not understandable.
          Last edited by Gacrux; 09-06-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

That's to bad about your system.

I see BIOS 1.90 came out about two weeks later, and now 2.10 is available. Did you try to update to any of these versions?

What method did you use to update your BIOS?

It's possible your update was corrupted, either the file you used, or the update partially failed. It sounds like the BIOS is not recognizing your 'K' CPU, and setting up the BIOS for a non-K chip.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              That's to bad about your system.

I see BIOS 1.90 came out about two weeks later, and now 2.10 is available. Did you try to update to any of these versions?

What method did you use to update your BIOS?

It's possible your update was corrupted, either the file you used, or the update partially failed. It sounds like the BIOS is not recognizing your 'K' CPU, and setting up the BIOS for a non-K chip.
              Not really, I tried to flash previous BIOS from 1.40 to the 1.80 and in all versions my OC settings were gone. How a BIOS could permanently remove my OC capabilities?

There is no 1.90 or 2.10 BIOS available, the latest is 1.80, please check at Asrock website: ASRock > Z77 Pro4

I flash from Internet Instant Flash inside UEFI menus. When I realized my OC settings disappeared, after CLEAR CMOS and battery removal didn't solve my problem, I started to flash previous versions using all methods available.

EDIT: Just tried to flash 1.00 to 1.30 that I didn't tried before. Didn't solve the problem, OC settings still gone, multiplier won't go past 38, auto OC settings won't do anything, etc.
              Last edited by Gacrux; 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Now I just realized my memory OC settings are gone too.

I own 2 x 4 GB Corsair DDR3 2133 CL11 memory and now the only option available in UEFI BIOS is up to DDR3-1600, I cannot even try to set the speed manually. Before this "bug" I could go up to DDR3-2800 by sacrificing timings and stability.

Screenshot:

This is disturbing, is there a hidden menu or hotkey that we need to press to enable OC settings in Asrock UEFI???

Please Asrock answer.

EDIT: I opened my case to take a look on the BIOS chip and it says "Z77 Pro4 P1.60 - 2A".

EDIT2: The option to load XMP profiles also are not present.

More people with same problem:

Last edited by Gacrux; 09-07-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gacrux View Post
                  Not really, I tried to flash previous BIOS from 1.40 to the 1.80 and in all versions my OC settings were gone. How a BIOS could permanently remove my OC capabilities?

There is no 1.90 or 2.10 BIOS available, the latest is 1.80, please check at Asrock website: ASRock > Z77 Pro4

I flash from Internet Instant Flash inside UEFI menus. When I realized my OC settings disappeared, after CLEAR CMOS and battery removal didn't solve my problem, I started to flash previous versions using all methods available.

EDIT: Just tried to flash 1.00 to 1.30 that I didn't tried before. Didn't solve the problem, OC settings still gone, multiplier won't go past 38, auto OC settings won't do anything, etc.
                  What was I looking at last night... the Z77 Pro 3... oops, my mistake...

We are seeing reports like this about several boards, not a good sign.

A BIOS file contains all the options and settings, they are not permanent and can even appear and disappear when another option is enabled or disabled.

But that does not explain why the earlier BIOS versions do not bring back those options. When you tried BIOS 1.30 for example, was that version number displayed in the BIOS?

This is very strange and not good.

Comment

I checked all BIOS versions flashed, they all report the correct version.

After some reading, it's something with the Intel Management Engine being corrupt or something like that. I just don't understand why even flashing a fresh bios image and clearing CMOS won't fix the problem.

I'm still waiting for a response from Asrock. They can send me a new bios file or even a new bios chip so I can replace it from my motherboard and I swear I will never touch it again. My motherboard is just 2 months old, RMA process in Brazil is VERY complicated and I can't stay without my PC waiting up to 60 days to receive a new board.

I'm surprised Asrock didn't loot into this problem after the first reports, I suspect they will solely ignore the message I sent to technical support, this forum and anywhere I try to contact them. Why people would permanently loose their OC settings by just clearing CMOS, loading defaults or after a bios update? Seems to be a very serious problem in Asrock motherboard.

Asrock owners beware - DO NOT CLEAR CMOS OR UPDATE YOUR BIOS, YOU MAY PERMANENTLY LOOSE YOUR OC SETTINGS!!!

Asrock, I am disappointed, If I don't find a solution this is probably my fist and last Asrock product and I'll neve recommend to anyone, I have two friends who bought the Extreme 4 model by my recommendation, I hope they won't have the same problem I'm having.

EDIT: Found one more with same problem... http://www.overclock.net/t/1266903/h...-z77-extreme-4

Come on Asrock, fix this...

EDIT: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429

Happens on Asus too, but they have a solution. For me, as an Asrock user, unfortunately I'm out of luck.

MORE EDIT:

Taking a look into de BIOS file, the OC options are there, all that are missing in my bios flashes:

So it seems that the problem is the Intel MEI Firmware being corrupted permanently no matter what BIOS version or how many times you flash because the blocks where Intel MEI is flashed is not touched by any way when flashing new/older BIOS unless the flash image has that Intel MEI image. Why ASROCK won't release a tool to flash this damn little thing like ASUS does and fix this insane problem of OC settings disappearing?
                    Last edited by Gacrux; 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Well, since Asrock totally ignored me, I went ahead and removed the BIOS chip and reflashed everything with a SPI programmer, I also removed the lock bytes in BIOS bin to enable host read and write to Intel ME. My overclock settings, IGP, memory settings, etc are back. Thanks Asrock for nothing.

Hopefully if the problem reappears, with host write enabled I'll be able to reflash Intel ME part without the need of the SPI programmer, it's not funny to have to remove the BIOS from the motherboard socket.
                      Last edited by Gacrux; 10-24-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Nice work, that is impressive, good for you!

A BIOS file is not magic, it is a method of programming various settings on processors, chipsets, etc. You learned how to do that for yourself, which is a valuable skill to have. IMO, you gained much more from this experience than you lost, and I'd say it was worth it.

Regarding ASR support, who knows what that actually is. Given what I have seen, few companies put many resources into support. In general they have very modest training, since the majority of questions they get are very basic ("Where's the On button?") Does that support staff even have access to the BIOS engineers? They see no need to have a highly paid and experienced engineer waiting to answer highly technical questions that rarely occur. I'm not saying this is right or a good thing, just that it is the reality.

Any decision to ignore you could range from a lower level person simply not doing their job of passing on your requests, to an upper manager simply instructing someone to not bother with it. Again, not good but just reality.

Your BIOS/CMOS chip may have been partially damaged, but not enough to make it completely non-functional. Of course, to you it is non-functional. I also wonder where the IME firmware "lives", I know it can be updated as part of a BIOS update.

I know that part of the IME software is a program called, "Intel Manageability Engine Firmware Recovery Agent", it is listed among the Windows Programs and Features listing. There are entries in Windows Scheduled Tasks that runs a program that apparently attempts to "recover" the IME firmware. I've seen it run under a few circumstances, such as when the IME software installed or updated. Whether or not this program could recover your IME firmware, I don't know.

Comment

I made checksums to make sure the bios flash memory is OK.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong in the UEFI BIOS code that allow the Intel ME to get corrupted even with the host read and write locked.

Comment

Working...
                          X