Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd issue. New Mobo, Not booting unless USB mouse/keyboard is unplugged.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd issue. New Mobo, Not booting unless USB mouse/keyboard is unplugged.

So my old motherboard died and so I replaced it with an ASrock N68C-GS

I rebuilt the rig and I am having a really strange issue. I can not boot into windows when my USB keyboard and mouse are plugged in (Logitech MK 270, single USB receiver). I also don't really get any sort of post screen. I can however get into BIOS. I was able to do windows set-up and get that completed by unplugging the USB receiver at every restart. The mouse and keyboard work great in once on the desk top (I connect the USB at the loading screen.) Other USB devices don't seem to affect it.

I have tried enabling and disabling USB legacy in BIOS, and Disabling USB 2.0 Support to no avail. I have also updated the Bios firmware Everything on the computer is working flawlessly once in windows. I have done about 2 days of stress testing with no errors.

I cant figure this one out. Please Help.

Re: Odd issue. New Mobo, Not booting unless USB mouse/keyboard is unplugged.

Originally posted by kpcurley View Post
    So my old motherboard died and so I replaced it with an ASrock N68C-GS I rebuilt the rig and I am having a really strange issue. I can not boot into windows when my USB keyboard and mouse are plugged in (Logitech MK 270, single USB receiver). I also don't really get any sort of post screen. I can however get into BIOS. I was able to do windows set-up and get that completed by unplugging the USB receiver at every restart. The mouse and keyboard work great in once on the desk top (I connect the USB at the loading screen.) Other USB devices don't seem to affect it. I have tried enabling and disabling USB legacy in BIOS, and Disabling USB 2.0 Support to no avail. I have also updated the Bios firmware Everything on the computer is working flawlessly once in windows. I have done about 2 days of stress testing with no errors. I cant figure this one out. Please Help.
    Can you give us more details? What BIOS revision is your motherboard at? Where in the boot process does the boot fail with the keyboard and mouse plugged in? Where are you plugging the keyboard and mouse in - on the motherboard's back panel USB ports or via a port that is provided by the onboard USB headers (say via a front panel USB port on your PC's case)? Also: Do you have a wired USB keyboard and wired USB mouse that you could try?
    Last edited by GrayWolf; 09-08-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I was able to do windows set-up and get that completed by unplugging the USB receiver at every restart.
      In addition to GrayWolf's excellent questions, what do you mean by USB receiver? Is this a usb hub?

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
      forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
      profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
      Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Have you tried placing the USB receiver in to another USB port?

On my son's old Asus P8H77-V, if his phone was plugged in to the case's front panel upper left USB port, that PC wouldn't boot to windows until the cable was pulled from the case. It would boot to windows with the cable plugged in to any other USB port on the case and would also boot to windows if I inserted the keyboard/mouse receiver in the same port that it wouldn't boot up with when the phone was plugged in.
        Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
        i7-2600k i7-2600k
        G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
        Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
        EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
        Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
        Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Comment

I assume this is a new Windows installation... and as Prof Jim said, we have no idea of the version of Windows you are using, as well as the rest of your hardware. So we are playing 20 questions - guessing games.

Have you installed the driver/software for your Logitech mouse and keyboard combo? Clearly Windows does not have a generic driver that will work with them, so POST fails attempting to start them up.

Any older boards I've used forced me to use simple USB wired mice or even a PS2 connection for the keyboard when installing Windows, and in some cases even after doing a BIOS/CMOS clear. Microsoft keyboards and mice tend to work fine (no surprise really) without installing a driver, but the more non-standard the input devices are, the more they must have their software installed. I would not depend upon Windows update to find the correct driver.

Comment

Working...
          X