Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help, new built PC not working(no power)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, new built PC not working(no power)

Hi Guys. A friend & I have built a PC from scratch as we have done many times before. But we are abit stumbled with this one.
    The following components we have put together are.
    - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black ATX case (4 Blue LED fans)
    - Antac 620watt high current gamer power supply
    - I7 processor quad core 3820
    - ASRock Z77 extreme 6 mother board
    - ADATA 8 gig DDR 3, 1.333 memory(before), KingstonKHX16C10B1BK2/16X 2x8GB(after)
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX-650 2 gig graphics card
    - 24x DVD writer

We tried to start the computer a few times & found it would just shut off. Then we found the memory wasn't compatible when the motherboard displayed a code. So the following week I purchase some KingstonKHX16C10B1BK2/16X (2x8GB). Ram which is compatible with the ASRock. We have placed the memory in the correct slots & found the PC won't start.(no power)
    Just abit confused as to why it's not starting when the only thing we changed was the RAM.
    Have I fried the board or PSU. Does the PSU have a safety switch or something.
    Thanks
    Brett

Re: Need help, new built PC not working(no power)

Originally posted by Brett0356 View Post
    Hi Guys. A friend & I have built a PC from scratch as we have done many times before. But we are abit stumbled with this one.
    The following components we have put together are.
    - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black ATX case (4 Blue LED fans)
    - Antac 620watt high current gamer power supply
    - I7 processor quad core 3820
    - ASRock Z77 extreme 6 mother board

- ADATA 8 gig DDR 3, 1.333 memory(before), KingstonKHX16C10B1BK2/16X 2x8GB(after)
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX-650 2 gig graphics card
    - 24x DVD writer

We tried to start the computer a few times & found it would just shut off. Then we found the memory wasn't compatible when the motherboard displayed a code. So the following week I purchase some KingstonKHX16C10B1BK2/16X (2x8GB). Ram which is compatible with the ASRock. We have placed the memory in the correct slots & found the PC won't start.(no power)
    Just abit confused as to why it's not starting when the only thing we changed was the RAM.
    Have I fried the board or PSU. Does the PSU have a safety switch or something.
    Thanks
    Brett
    Before we start, please check the parts list in your first post. An Intel i7-3820 is a socket 2011 processor. The ASRock Z77 Ex 6 board is an Intel socket 1155 board. These two components are not compatible. I imagine there is a typo in your list, most likely the mother board. Help us all out by correcting the model of the board, or CPU.

Did you try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after changing the memory?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Before we start, please check the parts list in your first post. An Intel i7-3820 is a socket 2011 processor. The ASRock Z77 Ex 6 board is an Intel socket 1155 board. These two components are not compatible. I imagine there is a typo in your list, most likely the mother board. Help us all out by correcting the model of the board, or CPU.

Did you try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after changing the memory?
      HI, Thanks for the reply.
      The mother board is a ASRock Z77 Extreme 6, yes it's a Socket 1155.
      The processor is a Intel Core I7 Processor(Unlocked & Unleashed). serial - i7-3770K (LGA1155)
      Just abit confused.

Couple of question thou.
      If placing the wrong RAM in the mother board making it restart serval times. Would that cause issue's or damage the mother board?
      Does the PSU have a reset switch?

Thanks again

Comment

No, incompatible RAM will not damage the board. If the RAM voltage was set manually very high then the memory controller in the CPU might be damaged. The voltage would need to be over ~1.6V for damage to occur, but since the PC never booted it never operated at a high voltage for very long, assuming that's what happened.

The restarts were probably caused by the "Boot Failure Guard" setting in the BIOS being set to three by default. Set that to one to prevent that.

A PSU can have a safety feature to shut it off if something in the PC is wrong, like a short circuit, etc. To reset a safety feature shutdown, turn off and unplug the PSU from AC power. Some PSUs are reset by switching its power switch on and off quickly several times while it is connected to AC power.

Check the connections of the case's power switch to the board, very easy to fall off or be connected wrong. You could try the standard "paper clip test" on the PSU to test it, just Google that for instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          No, incompatible RAM will not damage the board. If the RAM voltage was set manually very high then the memory controller in the CPU might be damaged. The voltage would need to be over ~1.6V for damage to occur, but since the PC never booted it never operated at a high voltage for very long, assuming that's what happened.

The restarts were probably caused by the "Boot Failure Guard" setting in the BIOS being set to three by default. Set that to one to prevent that.

A PSU can have a safety feature to shut it off if something in the PC is wrong, like a short circuit, etc. To reset a safety feature shutdown, turn off and unplug the PSU from AC power. Some PSUs are reset by switching its power switch on and off quickly several times while it is connected to AC power.

Check the connections of the case's power switch to the board, very easy to fall off or be connected wrong. You could try the standard "paper clip test" on the PSU to test it, just Google that for instructions.
          Thanks. I'll have a look at the power switch. Funny you should mention that because the old man placed the ram in & I was telling him about his fat hands pushing on the wires LOL. It's just a bugger of a spot with the nine hundred two case becuase the wires are in-cased. Might have to undo a few screws.

Comment

The problem must be the front panel. Today I tried the power button on the mother board & it worked. Just don't know how to connect the Antec nine hundred and two with the Z77 extreme 6 mother board. To many wires LOL. I connected them exactly as the diagrams shows on Antec website but still doesn't work.
            Another question. The friend who placed the CPU on the board didn't use thermal paste. I thought you had to?
            Thanks
            Brett

Comment

Hey Brett,
              Hopefully your friend meant they did not reapply thermal paste to the cpu since ( if using the stock Intel cpu cooler )thermal paste comes pre applied to the cpu cooler. If no thermal paste was applied to the cpu or cpu cooler before installing you would have heat issues that would most likely cause shutdowns.
              See ya---rclark

Comment

Originally posted by Brett0356 View Post
                The problem must be the front panel. Today I tried the power button on the mother board & it worked. Just don't know how to connect the Antec nine hundred and two with the Z77 extreme 6 mother board. To many wires LOL. I connected them exactly as the diagrams shows on Antec website but still doesn't work.
                Another question. The friend who placed the CPU on the board didn't use thermal paste. I thought you had to?
                Thanks
                Brett
                As rclark said, unless the stock Intel CPU cooler was used for the first time, meaning it had never been mounted before, its pre-applied thermal compound would be fine.

If the stock cooler was transferred to the new board from another, the thermal compound remaining should be cleaned off and applied fresh.

What CPU cooler is being used? Most coolers do not have thermal compound pre-applied, and yes, thermal compound is required, period end of story! Stubborn "I know better...", "who cares", "that's all BS...", do not count at all in this case. Frankly it is surprising how essential it really is.

Comment

Working...
                X