Dos window on win8 install. Z87extreme4 board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dos window on win8 install. Z87extreme4 board

I am trying to install win 8 on a new build.(see below) On the windows dvd, it starts with the blue windows logo, then the circling dots, and stops on a DOS window. The window top border has "Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" in the window itself it has: "Microsoft windows [version 6.2.9200]
    "X:\windows\system32>"
    and that's as far as it goes.(the screen is blue, the dos window is black) pic below.

On the mobo dvd, I can get into the uefi or NERO Boot Loader Ver6. I cannot access anything else.

In the bios under the storage section, the SATA controller is enabled, mode is set to AHCI, the ssd is on SATA3_0 and the dvd is on SATA3_1. Boot is set to DVD #1 and SSD #2. Everything else is on default settings.

On the NERO screen, it has the copyright info followed by:
    C: HD1 Pri[1], CHS 0-1-1, start= 0mb, size= 15mb.
    illegal partition table drive 01 sector 0 (this line is repeated 4x)

current date (change or hit enter)
    current time (change or hit enter)
    C:\>

I cannot access drive A as I get a "A: dos area unknown command given to driver,
    (A)bort (I)gnore (R)etry (F)ail"

I even tried format C: didn't work.

All other install dvd's (vid card/dvd/ssd) get a "insert a boot dvd" error.

So, in summary: I can access the NERO and the BIOS on the mobo dvd. and nothing else.
    I get as far as the blue window logo and the circling dots on the win8 install dvd, then I get the Dos window.

I am running out of hair to pull out of my head.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

I tried just the WD 1tb hard drive also, and it is the same results.
    also, there are no error codes on the mobo display.

(I7-4770, Asrock Z87 extreme4, 32g Gskillram, Samsung 840 120g SSD, Asus 210 silent video card, Asus DRW-24 DVD dvd reader /burner, coolermaster M2 620w bronze PS, coolermaster 120m cpu cooler, Fractal design R2 case.) (I also have a 1tb WD1002FAEX hdd that is not plugged in until I get windows on the SSD)

Click image for larger version

Name:	duc 007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	756229
    Last edited by Doug Miller; 10-25-2013, 08:07 PM.

Re: Dos window on win8 install. Z87extreme4 board

Did you try just closing the DOS/CMD Window? Typing exit at the prompt, or clicking on the X to close it? It may just be an option that a Windows 8 disk provides automatically for formatting disks, but is not a required step. I've never installed Windows 8 from a disk, I have one but used an ISO file instead, maybe I can try it and see what happens. You didn't mention closing that CMD window, things should continue after it is closed.

Sorry but must check, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 are the Intel SATA ports, the second two down from the top of the stack of SATA ports, with the board mounted in a case.

You won't be able to do anything with the mother board disk or any other disk until Windows has started to install, or is installed, that is normal and a waste of time to try to use the mobo disk without the Windows installation in progress.

You can't access the "A:" drive? That's normally a floppy disk drive. Your board does not have a floppy drive connection. I'm lost beyond that about the A: drive...

Comment

I closed the window by clicking the X and it reset and started the install again. I tried that a few times, but it always stopped on the dos screen.

I tried A drive,(dir A) and B, C, D, E. They all had the same " dos area unknown command given to driver" failure. I tried format C also.

I tried using the WD drive (unplugged the ssd) and I got the same thing.

But, on one reset where I clicked the "X" on the DOS window, it went to the first screen (select language) then to the screen where you type in the key. But the keyboard did not work, nor did the virtual keyboard. I tried resetting several more times, then shut it down.

So, it is trying to load.

Could the dvd reader be bad??? I can not swap out with this computer as its the old style. They are cheap enough that I can get one next payday.

Could the dvd itself be bad??

Doug

Comment

Is the drive(s?) formatted?

Is this repeatable when in the BIOS the controller is set to IDE instead of AHCI ???
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Is the drive(s?) formatted?

No

Is this repeatable when in the BIOS the controller is set to IDE instead of AHCI ???
          I have not tried that. But I can do that. probably tomorrow, I gotta hit the sack, I get up 4am.

Thanks

Doug

Comment

I got a new dvd burner/reader and it is now happily installing windows. Thanks for all assistance.

Doug

Comment

Working...
            X