Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Extreme6 system clock operates at 3x speed

Hi all,

So I've got a brand new ASRock z87 Extreme6 board with a i7-4770k and my system clock is going off the charts. I went through a bunch of trouble-shooting with Windows 7's Windows Time service, did the w32tm stop, unregister, register, start, resync dance and all that did was make my clock very very jittery every 5 seconds, the system clock would have gone through 15 seconds, and then ntp resets it back to the real time. so, forward 15, back 10, repeat.

The time in the UEFI bios screen is fine, and counts up normally. when I boot into linux and poll the RTC directly it reports that it's keeping accurate wallclock time, so the cmos, battery, and crystal on the board must be fine or the rtc wouldn't be able to keep correct time.

In linux, or windows however, the clock just spins and spins, a minute system time passes every 20 seconds wall-clock.

I've pulled my video card and i'm using internal video, I pulled all hd's except the sata dvd drive to boot a live cd, i disconnected all usb devices and pluged the keyboard into a different port. I swaped out the ram, switched ram slots. I tried at various times entering uefi and disabling hypper-threading, disabling virtualization, ram at default of 1333, or ram at it's xmp of 1600. I've put all the uefi settings back in place after they didn't help.

Out of ideas, give me something else to check.

Thanks,

-Fluffy

Re: Z87 Extreme6 system clock operates at 3x speed

Might I suggest reading through the posts in the thread Windows 7 clock is running very fast over on the MS TechNet Forums.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yet another thread about a time warp problem, same board too: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...oing-fast.html

I did tend to agree with wardog's idea in the other thread, that a bad oscillator on the board is the cause. But then why is the time fine in the BIOS? Two separate clocks?

In Windows Device Manager, under System Devices, I see three entries related to time, the High precision event timer, System CMOS/real time clock, and System Timer. It's worth checking those for some clues.

Comment

Thank you parsec, and wardog for your suggestions. I had found both of those posts and tried everything on them before posting my own question. I posted my own question because of something I saw on one of those threads recommending posting a new thread would get more responses than joining an older thread.

As to the bad oscillator/two clocks issue, yes, when a computer boots it obtains the time from the RTC hardware clock kept in cmos, and then a hardware interrupt increments a counter which keeps time from then on, at a much higher resolution than the RTC is able to produce. Aparrently it's possible for this second clock, the system clock based on interrupts, to get miss-calibrated, as I called MicroCenter and they told me the procedure to fix it, thusly:

I went and called MicroCenter's tech support, the place I bought it from, who told me to try one or two more things before replacing it. Their suggestion, which worked, was to:

1) shut down and unplug the machine.
        2) disconnect the battery.
        3) hold the power button down for 20 seconds to drain the internal capacitors.
        4) put everything back together.
        5) boot into bios and reset the clock.
        6) boot into windows normally.
        * Fixed!

My only guess here is that the frequency of the timing crystal is recorded when the board first gets power, and if that number is wrong, then the board needs to have a hard power reset to make it re-calculate that frequency? One wonders what they did during QC to get the board into this state to begin with.

I got a response from ASRock email support today, which suggested that the board was bad and that I should take it back to whomever sold it to me for a replacement. I'd rather not as it works now.

-Fluffycloud

Comment

Thank for posting your fix!

Please post in this thread if that problem occurs again.

I'll remember this fix for future users with this problem. I hope we won't be hearing from you again in this thread with bad news...

Comment

Working...
          X