Z87 Ext.6 No Lan on Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Ext.6 No Lan on Boot

I've had my desktop for a few months now, but recently I've noticed this weird issue where whenever I boot up I don't get any internet connection for about 30 seconds. I get the little yellow ! logo which says "identifying" for about 30 seconds and then it connects as normal. I've been trying to figure out what the issue is, and I've found a temporary solution which is to uninstall the LAN drivers. I've tried installing the drivers directly from Asrock and Intel but both of them give me the same issue. Is this an isolated situation or are others experiencing this too? The problem is that after a while (maybe something I did) triggers the issue and makes it come back. To solve it, I install and remove the drivers again and the issue goes away.

Can anyone help me figure out what the issue is?

z87 extreme6 (dual intel ethernet ports - both of them do it) and running v2.10 BIOS. With Windows 8.

Re: Z87 Ext.6 No Lan on Boot

Strange, or possibly not. I have the same board and use Windows 8 (now 8.1) and have used both the ASRock "version" of the Intel LAN driver, and now the 18.7 version directly from Intel. I've never had the problem you describe. I have network cables connected to both network ports via a simple network switch and have them teamed. That should not be required at all, and you should be able to use one network port fine.

Questions:

Are you shutting off power to that PC, besides the usual Windows shutdown? Or you work on the PC, and remove power from the PC, and then the issue occurs when you start the PC again?

Are you using one network cable into one network port, or two cables? If one cable, are you using the upper or lower network port on the I/O panel?

Do you have teaming enabled?

Do you have either of the network ports disabled in the BIOS?

Are you using the Fast Boot option set to Fast or Ultra Fast, but don't have Secure Boot enabled or CSM disabled?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Strange, or possibly not. I have the same board and use Windows 8 (now 8.1) and have used both the ASRock "version" of the Intel LAN driver, and now the 18.7 version directly from Intel. I've never had the problem you describe. I have network cables connected to both network ports via a simple network switch and have them teamed. That should not be required at all, and you should be able to use one network port fine.

Questions:

Are you shutting off power to that PC, besides the usual Windows shutdown? Or you work on the PC, and remove power from the PC, and then the issue occurs when you start the PC again?

Are you using one network cable into one network port, or two cables? If one cable, are you using the upper or lower network port on the I/O panel?

Do you have teaming enabled?

Do you have either of the network ports disabled in the BIOS?

Are you using the Fast Boot option set to Fast or Ultra Fast, but don't have Secure Boot enabled or CSM disabled?
      I'm just doing a standard shutdown from Windows, no cord pulling or anything like that. It happens every time after turning it on via the power switch. I'm also only using one port, but the issue occurs in both. I don't think I have teaming enabled since I've never messed with the settings + I don't use both ports anyway. Both ports are enabled and I use fast boot with secure boot disabled and I'm not sure if CSM is disabled/enabled.

I'm trying to see if something specific triggers the action to occur. Right now it's working as intended because I installed and uninstalled the drivers. We'll see how long it lasts like this but usually it's not for a while (weeks, not days).

Comment

When the Internet connection fails to start up on boot, start up Device Manager as fast as possible, and check Network adapters. You might find a hint in that.

FYI, the two network connections are different, one is the Intel I217-V, the other an Intel I211. The I217V is an interface to a network controller that is actually a part of the Z87 PCH chipset, and the I211 is a separate independent network chip. Not that one is better than the other, but a single network port board would most likely use the I217V system, since it is cheaper to implement.

Have you ever checked the Device Manager entries for each interface when you don't have the problem? Then when you do, check again and see if there's a difference.

Comment

Out on a limb here in suggesting this but .....

Disable any 3rd party user installed anti virus/security/firewall/monitoring/etc software and retry.

This could be caused by a filer driver. But, while out on the limb, it doesn't make sense that it(filter) would not "overlay' on every re-install of the NIC driver.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            When the Internet connection fails to start up on boot, start up Device Manager as fast as possible, and check Network adapters. You might find a hint in that.

FYI, the two network connections are different, one is the Intel I217-V, the other an Intel I211. The I217V is an interface to a network controller that is actually a part of the Z87 PCH chipset, and the I211 is a separate independent network chip. Not that one is better than the other, but a single network port board would most likely use the I217V system, since it is cheaper to implement.

Have you ever checked the Device Manager entries for each interface when you don't have the problem? Then when you do, check again and see if there's a difference.
            It happened again! I have to admit, I've been messing around with my router and constantly unplugging, replugging the ethernet out of my desktop so that may have triggered it. Out of curiosity, i decided to switch the port and it's now connected to the I1217-V and this port doesn't have the problem! It seems that the I211 is the one that's giving me the trouble. Is there a separate driver for the I211 port?

Comment

Working...
            X