• Show
Clear All

Re: Asrock 970 Pro3 2.0 bsods and freezing

Click image for larger version

Name:	fx6300 less then 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	754099
    By throttling I mean running below it's standard ghz instead of an OC (amd turbo)as it should have been. I'm not purposely overclocking (well technically OC yes) only using default bios setting. It may have been the wrong term to use. Maybe the pic will tell you more. MB was coolish and cpu was hot. No bent pins and non missing that I can tell. Other two cpu ran as they should. The 1090t uses allot more power so should be worse but it seems faultless although runs a little hot with this cooler

Any thoughts on the cooler I linked?
    Last edited by hsp25; 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

The case is as much of a mystery to me as it is to you sorry. I think it had ac dc symbol on the front but child ripped that off along with a small front flap door at the bottom. It has 120mm fan front,120mm fan rear and 80mm fan on the side. I got it from a work college who had it in his farm shed collecting dust. It was free. I swapped his old pc out of it.I'm thinking of buying a gaming case but that will have to be an early birthday pressant as this started out just wanting more HDD space and was my brainwave to upgrade.

I'm sure it will be a good thing once it's going properly

Comment

Idea!

Do you have the original OEM AMD 1090T heatsink? The one with heat pipes?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yeah but for some reason I've found it really hard to put on. It seems to tight but I know it should fit

Comment

Originally posted by hsp25 View Post
            Yeah but for some reason I've found it really hard to put on. It seems to tight but I know it should fit
            I ran into that once myself. The one I ran into this with was dog eared at the four corners instead of four square corners.

And like you I didn't proceed either. Too much torque it seemed was req'd to "lock' it down.

Blue or black lever?

Meh, t'was just a thought to maybe save you some money.

That linked cooler. Can he wait till "ETA: 20/01/14" as is shown on the page? No experiences with it but it 'looks' good.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
              I ran into that once myself. The one I ran into this with was dog eared at the four corners instead of four square corners.
              On the copper base, dog eared.

Comment

Phew! I keep forgetting the prices you guys pay for "goodies' down there.

Someones damn proud of their transportation costs and not a bit afraid of passing them along.

Comment

yep cooler sounds like the same problem.1090 cooler=black lever and FX-6300=blue lever. He uses the 1090t here when.. if he visits so I want to keep that together
                  I got the ****s and told him he can just lend a 4 core HD5770 pc we don't use that I had sitting here till this is fixed properly. ETA is only 2 days away. They are on a weekend break till then. If the cpu needs RMA he will have to wait a bit anyway.

Comment

Yeah I like goodies but it hurts to pay the transport for sure. My ROG mb cost $340 i recon

Have you herd anything about these cases. Cougar Evolution Computer Case USB3 0 Desktop PC Gaming Case ATX Case HOT Swap | eBay
                    Seems a bit cheap to me

Er never mind. I dont like the stand offs

Comment

Pretty coclusive there is something wrong with the cpu as far as I'm concerned. It hasn't made 10 minutes before failing prime. The other 2 cpu I tested never failed in tests 45+ minutes. Looks like another RMA *sigh* I must be the luckiest man alive lol

Name:	conclusion.PNG
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	754100

Comment

What's written within the stress.txt file?

Prime95 can be run to stress CPU, Ram, or both. What were the settings/testing parameters that generated the above pic?

Comment

This is stress text file. I've found it's a guidline and not a diagnostic. I can't find it my pc but..
                          this is stress.txt
                          Quote:
                          STRESS TESTING YOUR COMPUTER

BACKGROUND
                          ----------

Today's computers are not perfect. Even brand new systems from major
                          manufacturers can have hidden flaws. If any of several key components such
                          as CPU, memory, cooling, etc. are not up to spec, it can lead to incorrect
                          calculations and/or unexplained system crashes.

Overclocking is the practice of increasing the speed of the CPU and/or
                          memory to make a machine faster at little cost. Typically, overclocking
                          involves pushing a machine past its limits and then backing off just a
                          little bit.

For these reasons, both non-overclockers and overclockers need programs
                          that test the stability of their computers. This is done by running
                          programs that put a heavy load on the computer. Though not originally
                          designed for this purpose, this program is one of a few programs that
                          are excellent at stress testing a computer.

RESOURCES
                          ---------

This program is a good stress test for the CPU, memory, L1 and L2 caches,
                          CPU cooling, and case cooling. The torture test runs continuously, comparing
                          your computer's results to results that are known to be correct. Any
                          mismatch and you've got a problem! Note that the torture test sometimes
                          reads from and writes to disk but cannot be considered a stress test for
                          hard drives.

You'll need other programs to stress video cards, PCI bus, disk access,
                          networking and other important components. In addition, this is only one
                          of several good programs that are freely available. Some people report
                          finding problems only when running two or more stress test programs
                          concurrently. You may need to raise prime95's priority when running two
                          stress test programs so that each gets about 50% of the CPU time.

Forums are a great place to learn about available stability test programs
                          and to get advice on what to do when a problem is found.

The currently popular stability test programs are (sorry, I don't have
                          web addresses for these):
                          Prime95 (this program's torture test)
                          3DMark2001
                          CPU Stability test
                          Sisoft sandra
                          Quake and other games
                          Folding@Home
                          Seti@home
                          Genome@home

Several useful websites for help (look for overclocking community or forum):
                          Overclockers: The Performance Computing Community for Overclocking Hardware and How to Overclock Information
                          Ars Technica
                          HARDOCP - HardOCP Computer Hardware Reviews and News
                          AnandTech | Home
                          Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews
                          PC Overclocking, Modding and Building | Sharky Extreme
                          Also try the alt.comp.hardware.overclocking Usenet newsgroup.

Utility programs you may find useful (I'm sure there are others - look around):
                          Motherboard monitor from livewiredev.com
                          Memtest86 from PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool
                          Cpuburn by redelm: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/
                          TaskInfo2002 from Iarsn - High Quality System Software

WHAT TO DO IF A PROBLEM IS FOUND?
                          ---------------------------------

The exact cause of a hardware problem can be very hard to find.

If you are not overclocking, the most likely cause is an overheating CPU
                          or memory DIMMs that are not quite up to spec. Another possibility is
                          you might need a better power supply. Try running MotherBoard monitor
                          and browse the forums above to see if your CPU is running too hot.
                          If so, make sure the heat sink is properly attached, fans are operational,
                          and air flow inside the case is good. For isolating memory problems, try
                          swapping memory DIMMs with a co-worker's or friend's machine. If the errors
                          go away, then you can be fairly confidant that memory was the cause of
                          the trouble. A power supply problem can often be identified by a significant
                          drop in the voltages when prime95 starts running. Once again the overclocker
                          forums are a good resource for what voltages are acceptable.

If you are overclocking then try increasing the core voltage, reduce the
                          CPU speed, reduce the front side bus speed, or change the memory timings
                          (CAS latency). Also try asking for help in one of the forums above - they
                          may have other ideas to try.

CAN I IGNORE THE PROBLEM?
                          -------------------------

Ignoring the problem is a matter of personal preference. There are
                          two schools of thought on this subject.

Most programs you run will not stress your computer enough to cause a
                          wrong result or system crash. If you ignore the problem, then video games
                          may stress your machine resulting in a system crash. Also, stay away from
                          distributed computing projects where an incorrect calculation might cause
                          you to return wrong results. Bad data will not help these projects!
                          In conclusion, if you are comfortable with a small risk of an occasional
                          system crash then feel free to live a little dangerously! Keep in mind
                          that the faster prime95 finds a hardware error the more likely it is that
                          other programs will experience problems.

The second school of thought is, "Why run a stress test if you are going
                          to ignore the results?" These people want a guaranteed 100% rock solid
                          machine. Passing these stability tests gives them the ability to run
                          CPU intensive programs with confidence.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
                          --------------------------

Q) My machine is not overclocked. If I'm getting an error, then there must
                          be a bug in the program, right?

A) The torture test is comparing your machines results against
                          KNOWN CORRECT RESULTS. If your machine cannot generate correct
                          results, you have a hardware problem. HOWEVER, if you are failing
                          the torture test in the SAME SPOT with the SAME ERROR MESSAGE
                          every time, then ask for help at mersenneforum.org - it is
                          possible that a recent change to the torture test code may have
                          introduced a software bug.

Q) How long should I run the torture test?

A) I recommend running it for somewhere between 6 and 24 hours.
                          The program has been known to fail only after several hours and in
                          some cases several weeks of operation. In most cases though, it will
                          fail within a few minutes on a flaky machine.

Q) Prime95 reports errors during the torture test, but other stability
                          tests don't. Do I have a problem?

A) Yes, you've reached the point where your machine has been
                          pushed just beyond its limits. Follow the recommendations above
                          to make your machine 100% stable or decide to live with a
                          machine that could have problems in rare circumstances.

Q) A forum member said "Don't bother with prime95, it always pukes on me,
                          and my system is stable!. What do you make of that?"

or

"We had a server at work that ran for 2 MONTHS straight, without a reboot
                          I installed Prime95 on it and ran it - a couple minutes later I get an error.
                          You are going to tell me that the server wasn't stable?"

A) These users obviously do not subscribe to the 100% rock solid
                          school of thought. THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS.
                          But since they are not presently running any programs that reveal
                          the hardware problem, the machines are quite stable. As long as
                          these machines never run a program that uncovers the hardware problem,
                          then the machines will continue to be stable.

Comment

I would have thought stress testing with 3 different cpu several times and only failing on one cpu would have been reasonably conclusive. FX-6300 fails every time within 10 minutes (at least 6 separate tests at different times). Other cpu's have had no fails with tests over 30 minutes (at least 4 separate tests at different times). I have memtest with windows version several times, no errors with FX-6300 but seeings though you mentioned it I will memtest86 ram with 1090t. Memtest86 does also do cpu L2 cache and I've just got windows back to wear it was. I am not keen on another recovery so the FX6300 stays out at this point.

Prime test was

Name:	test type.PNG
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	754102

I've done 8 hours of tests in several different ways with memtest86. No errors. It all suggests the FX6300 is faulty doesn't it?

Better make that 19 hours of all ram sequential testing. Testing each core with the same test then moving to another test. Over 10 full passes with no errors
                            Last edited by hsp25; 01-20-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Well it's conclusive. The cpu was faulty but the seller has given a store credit as the FX-6300 is unavailable with no ETA.

Comment

And still it continues. The new cpu tests fine but still a daily BSOD. No more code 101 but 1e,50 and a still. I recon it's drivers but haven't been able to find appropriate ones

Comment

Working...
                                X