Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the likelihood that an in stock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will have the 2.0 bios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the likelihood that an in stock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will have the 2.0 bios?

I've been waiting for the A10-7850K for a while and now that it is out, I assume that there may be problems with MB compatibility due to needing a bios update. I do not have an FM2 part that I could plug into a board, and I would rather not spend the extra money even to buy a low cost FM2 part. What is the likelihood that any in-stock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will have the 2.0 bios that supports the A10-7850K? Thanks.

Re: What is the likelihood that an in stock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will have the 2.0 bios?

The likelihood is very very slim seeings BIOS 2.00 was only released Dec 27 2013.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: What is the likelihood that an in stock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will have the 2.0 bios?

OK thanks.

Do all the production FM2A88X Extreme6+ boards have a socketed BIOS chip such that if I purchase one without the 2.0 bios and if I file an RMA, and if a replacement bios chip is sent that I will be able to easily replace the chip?

Thanks again.

Comment

For that question I would suggest contacting ASRock themselves using one of the below methods.

ASRock USA Contacts

Support Phone: 1-909-590-8308
        Support Email: [email protected]
        Support Website: ASRock Support Request Form
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by wiyosaya View Post
          OK thanks.

Do all the production FM2A88X Extreme6+ boards have a socketed BIOS chip such that if I purchase one without the 2.0 bios and if I file an RMA, and if a replacement bios chip is sent that I will be able to easily replace the chip?

Thanks again.
          The FM2A88X Extreme6+ board has socketed BIOS chips, and dual BIOS chips too. I found a picture of this, here is the detail:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fm2a88x BIOS chips 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	754097

The chips are socketed, and are relatively easy to replace. Getting a chip with the 2.00 is something only ASRock can tell you about.

This board is very new, and as wardog said the chance that it would have the 2.00 BIOS is very low (latest is 2.40.) The board in the picture has the 1.30 BIOS.

Comment

Hi wiyosaya,

For this question, I did an easy test on FM2A88X Extreme6+.
            A10-7850K can boot up with the first released BIOS P1.30 without any problem.
            So you don't worry about the BIOS version.

After booting the system, you can update BIOS to P2.00 or later version for fully support the CPU.

If any question, please feel free to let me know.
            Thank you!

Have a nice day
            ASRock TSD
            Emily

Comment

Hi Emily,

Thank you. I have heard of other MBs not booting or posting with an unrecognized CPU; however, it seems like AS Rock did things the "right way," IMHO.

It seems a bit funny that any MB would not have "bootstrap" code to run with an unrecognized CPU so that at least the bios could be updated that would then, perhaps, enable features that may only be on the new CPU. Maybe there are cases where running with an unrecognized CPU is appropriate, but I would not want to own such a MB.

Thanks once again. I am looking forward to getting this board and the A10-7850K.

Comment

Update: Last night, I finally set up the MB and the A10-7850K chip. I did not install any drives since I really only wanted to ensure that the MB and APU are functioning properly. (They are.) The board I got had bios 1.60 installed according to the labels on both bios chips. It had no problems during POST, and came up without issues. This bios (1.60) correctly identified the A10-7850K. Bringing up the board without drives (maybe it is without OS) gets you directly into the bios. On the tools menu, I noticed a menu item that says something along the lines of flash bios from internet - DHCP. I connected a network cable to the MB's ethernet connection and flashed the bios over the internet. Everything went fine, and my MB now has bios version 2.70 running happily. After that, I also used the Tools menu to copy the new bios to the B chip. This was one of the easiest bios updates that I have ever done, and I am extremely impressed by the level of polish that exists with this board. That was my experience. Your mileage may vary.
                Last edited by wiyosaya; 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X