Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gigabit on Asrock Z77 extreme 6 Broadcom BCM 57781

Hello all

Somehow i can't get gigabit lan (wired) to work on my Asrock Z77 extreme 6 motherboard (2.80 bios).
    Working with windows 7 64 bit, and the latest drivers loaded from Broadcom site.
    I only get 100 Mbit (amber colored light), and i can't manualy set the speed to 1 Gbit in network card settings.
    Only 10 and 100 Mbps full and half duplex and auto negotiation.

Any ideas ????

Stefan

Re: No gigabit on Asrock Z77 extreme 6 Broadcom BCM 57781

Is this a new build, or one that previously has been running fine at gigabit speed?

Things to check: replace the ethernet cable and retry, the proper file to download for this board/Win7x64 is "win_k57_x64-15.6.0.10.zip".

What make/model is the connected router/switch/modem that is at the other end of the ethernet cable coming from the computer?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I've tried several cables, but that didn't help.
      I use the latest driver from the broadcom site (15.6.0.10).
      When i connect my computer directly to my other computer, i can not manualy set the speed to 1 Gbit.
      Also auto negotiation doesn't give me Gigabit lan.
      On my other computer, i can choose 10 or 100 Mbps full or half duplex, 1 Gbps full duplex or auto negotiation in the setting of the network card (Realtek 8111DL).
      On the Broadcom 57781, i can only choose 10 or 100 Mbps full or half duplex or auto negotiation, so NO 1 Gbps option.
      Amber colored led is blinking.
      So no switch or router, but one on one, the Realtek let's me choose 1 Gbps manualy, but the Broadcom doesn't give me that option.
      I have this computer for about 1 year now, and never needed 1 Gbps, so i never noticed it before.

Stefan

Comment

So no modem then? No switch and or router either? How do you connect to the internet w/o one of those?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Oh, and BTW, my Z77 Extreme6's 57781 DOES NOT present a choice of 1Gb so like you I too only have 10 or 100 Mbps full or half duplex or auto negotiation to choose from.

Mine is set to Auto and that is what it should be set to. There is no reason to change it excepting some rather weird hardware situations.

That it is connecting Amber 100M may well be a result of what it's plugged into at the other end only being 100M capable, and not 1GB. That's why I asked the model/make of whatever it is you connect to the internet with.

Comment

I connect directly to my other computer's network card (homegroup).
            So from one pc to the other.
            The other network card is a 1 Gbit card, manualy set to 1 Gbps.
            Do you connect it to a 1 Gbps switch or router, and do you get Gigabit lan ?

Stefan
            Last edited by StefanZ; 01-19-2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I have both a one Gbps router and switch, with a one Gbps connection into the switch, and I get a one Gbps signal into that PC:

Click image for larger version

Name:	network 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	754105

But my board has an Intel NIC. What OS are you using on the ASRock board?

The Realtek 8111DL "network card" you mentioned is really a networking chip, not a network card as far as I can see. How do you "I connect directly to my other computer's network card (homegroup)."? If it really is a network card, "Realtek 8111DL" is not the model or make of the card.
              Last edited by parsec; 01-19-2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

@parsec The 8111DL is, best I can tell, in the other computer he's connecting to. I'm assuming he's using ICS(?).

@ Stefan

All my computers connect to a gigabit switch, from there to the router, and finally to the cable modem.

Are you using Windows ICS(Internet Connection Sharing)? Or perhaps some 3rd party app that accomplishes the same thing?

I'd like to see you set both nic's to Auto Negotiate, power both PC's down, then first power up the PC with the 8111DL to all loaded up/running state and then power up the Z77 board. Please reply back what the connecting rate is after performing these steps.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  @parsec The 8111DL is, best I can tell, in the other computer he's connecting to. I'm assuming he's using ICS(?).

@ Stefan

All my computers connect to a gigabit switch, from there to the router, and finally to the cable modem.

Are you using Windows ICS(Internet Connection Sharing)? Or perhaps some 3rd party app that accomplishes the same thing?

I'd like to see you set both nic's to Auto Negotiate, power both PC's down, then first power up the PC with the 8111DL to all loaded up/running state and then power up the Z77 board. Please reply back what the connecting rate is after performing these steps.
                  That makes sense, and is simple of course, but were we supposed to assume or know that?

Might also be a language barrier thing, no offense, just a guess.

Comment

You don't need ICS to connect two computers in a homegroup.
                    Just 2 network cards (or NIC's), and a utp cable.
                    I assume, that when you connect a Gigabit nic to another Gigabit nic (BCM 57781 to Realtec 8111DL), you get a Gigabit file transfer.
                    I only get a 100 Mbps file transfer (11.5 MB/s).
                    The Realtec 8111DL settings, gives me a 1 Gbps option, but the BCM 57781 does not.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanZ View Post
                      ..... but the BCM 57781 does not.
                      I answered earlier that my driver/options do not either.

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                      What did you see when you did the above?

Comment

Originally posted by StefanZ View Post
                        You don't need ICS to connect two computers in a homegroup.
                        Just 2 network cards (or NIC's), and a utp cable.
                        I assume, that when you connect a Gigabit nic to another Gigabit nic (BCM 57781 to Realtec 8111DL), you get a Gigabit file transfer.
                        I only get a 100 Mbps file transfer (11.5 MB/s).
                        The Realtec 8111DL settings, gives me a 1 Gbps option, but the BCM 57781 does not.
                        I just don't understand how the cards and PCs are being connected, when no switch is involved, and a single network input on the Z77 EX 6.

The "other" PC with the 8111DL remains a mystery...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          I just don't understand how the cards and PCs are being connected, when no switch is involved, and a single network input on the Z77 EX 6.

The "other" PC with the 8111DL remains a mystery...
                          For several years, I've been using a cat6 crossover network cable to directly connect both of my legacy systems using the onboard Realtek RJ-45 ports. This works fine for a simple point to point connection between two computes and it's faster and more reliable than using two cans connected by a string.
                          Obviously I use wireless network adapters to connect each system to the internet.

Check out Ethernet crossover cable - Wikipedia
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                            For several years, I've been using a cat6 crossover network cable to directly connect both of my legacy systems using the onboard Realtek RJ-45 ports. This works fine for a simple point to point connection between two computes and it's faster and more reliable than using two cans connected by a string.
                            Obviously I use wireless network adapters to connect each system to the internet.

Check out Ethernet crossover cable - Wikipedia
                            I disagree, string is a very underrated transmission medium, it's the type of can used that makes all the difference. Unfortunately, the can standards war caused the adoption of string to fail...

I know about and even have a crossover cable or two, not that they are even needed much anymore. That is not the "how" in my question.

One of the OP's PCs (with the 8111DL chip/NIC) must have dual Ethernet jacks, for an Ethernet signal to come into the PC that passes it on to another. Don't tell me we're talking wireless here...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              That is not the "how" in my question.
                              Consider they might not even be connected to the internet via this wired connection. Just two in-home connected via crossover cable PC's. With them typing these msgs out on a third PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X