Asrock z87 pro3 with latest update
    i7-4770k
    Windows 7 64bit
    120 GB Samsung SSD
    1 TB WD HDD
    NVidia GTX 780
    Seasonic G-750 750W PSU
    2 x 8 GB corsair vengeance pro

Recently I just got a 5.1 speaker of Sony DAV-DZ175. All wires are plugged in on their places. When I plugged in to my pc, i didn't get all 5 speakers worked properly even though I already changed my setup to 5.1 speakers in my realtek manager and checked the "speaker fill" option, so I tested out by playing youtube from my phone and all 5 speakers worked properly.

Magically, when I plugged in back to my pc, all 5 speakers worked well. But still, when I tried to test it from realtek audio manager, only 1 speaker that passed the test, the other 4, they did nothing. But now the problem is, sometimes the other 4 speakers can go off by itself, and turn back on by itself without me changing anything. I'm wondering what's the problem here. Do I miss something since my speaker receiver is 7.1 and I should do something else to get my 5.1 speakers work properly? Thank you.

Re: 5.1 speakers don't work properly with asrock z87 pro3

Seeings you can't connect these speakers directly to the PC w/o chopping off the factory attached terminators and attach 3.5mm plugs in their place .....................

......... what is the audio connection you're using between the PC and the dvd player?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I'm just using the given 3.5mm audio jack that came when I bought the product. Do I need to use different connection cable?

Comment

I don't see in the online manual where the DZ175 comes with any 3.5mm cable, but ..........

So you're connecting this 3.5mm cable to the players front "Audio In" ? If so, please look and I'm guessing the 3.5mm cable is Left and Right audio only, not 5.1.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Hmm, I have just checked the online manual and as you said, it doesn't come with a 3.5 mm jack. Well, I got this from my friend though, maybe he lost the HDMI cable i think. Yes, I plug in to the front "Audio in" and plug the other end to the "Front Speaker" out which I guess it won't give me 5.1 sound since i only have 1 audio jack to be plugged in? How do you check if the cable is L R audio only, not 5.1? Even though it's L R only, is it supposed to be working with ipod? Because i tried with my ipod and all 5 speakers worked (even sometimes all 5 speakers work in my pc). Thanks.
          Last edited by creeps; 01-19-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Go to "Sound Effects" in the manual to discover why you hear 5.1 from a 2-channel input.

The 3.5mm 2ch L+R plug, it should have three distinct contact surfaces separated by two non-conductive "rings'. Left, Right, and Ground.

Comment

well, i think it's not a 3.5 mm audio jack though, since it only has 1 output cable. So to solve the problem, do I need a 5.1 audio jack? if so, do you know which one should i buy or you recommend? thanks

Comment

I think at this point I'd like you to provide a pic of both ends of the cable you are using. Internet links of it will suffice.

On this motherboard you only have 3.5mm jacks with which to connect and transfer audio out. It does not have Digital Optical SPDIF or Digital Coax connections. On the DAV-DZ175 you will only be able to connect one of them, that being Front Speakers(the green 3.5mm jack on the PC). The Front Speaker jack ONLY provides 2-channel, L+R, audio.

The "Sound Effect" I mentioned earlier of the DAV-DZ175 can convert 2-channel audio to psuedo 5.1-channel.

Comment

Hmm, I see. Below is the pic of the audio jack:

Comment

Originally posted by creeps View Post
                    Hmm, I see. Below is the pic of the audio jack:
                    Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                    The 3.5mm 2ch L+R plug, it should have three distinct contact surfaces separated by two non-conductive "rings'. Left, Right, and Ground.
                    That is the correct cable to connect to the green Front Speakers jack of the motherboard with, with the other end plugged into the front Audio In of the DAV.

Comment

hmm, i see. yeah, this is the jack that i use to connect the dvd to my front speaker out green output. Sometimes it works, but most of the time the other 4 speakers only produce a really low volume compared to the front left speaker and sometimes the sound is spiking as well..

Comment

With both powered on and some audio playing at a low volume gently twist/wiggle each end of the cable while they are both plugged into their respective jacks.

If you hear it crackle and or suddenly become clear it could mean that the jack is not making proper contact with the plug. Thus impeding proper audio transmission.

Comment

Also, check the individual speaker connections on the rear of the DAV. It may be they themselves aren't secure.

Comment

damn it, it works after i wiggle one of the end. fvck. Thanks a lot ! i think the cable itself it's not in a prime condition. If i happen need to buy another one, what is this cable called? Just a normal audio jack?

Comment

No pun intended but that's good to hear.

It's an 1/8"(3.5mm) Stereo Cable. Although, the problem could also lie with the internal jack too. If you can find a place where it plays fine without holding it, and it's not putting undue stress on the jack/cable end I'd leave it alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X