Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single power button press - shutdown

Hi,

I have had my ASRock Ion 330 since about 2008 and it is still working well - good product.

A few years ago I am pretty sure I had it setup that a single press of the power button would shutdown the computer. Pressing and hold would kill the power without it going through the shutdown sequence.

Now a single press doesnt do anything. I have it booting into Openelec but it is setup as a tri -boot with Windows XP and Linux Mint 16 and they are the same.

How do I get it to initiate the shutdown sequence with a single press of the power button again?

Many Thanks,

Hugh

Re: single power button press - shutdown

Originally posted by mrbougles View Post
    Hi,

I have had my ASRock Ion 330 since about 2008 and it is still working well - good product.

A few years ago I am pretty sure I had it setup that a single press of the power button would shutdown the computer. Pressing and hold would kill the power without it going through the shutdown sequence.

Now a single press doesnt do anything. I have it booting into Openelec but it is setup as a tri -boot with Windows XP and Linux Mint 16 and they are the same.

How do I get it to initiate the shutdown sequence with a single press of the power button again?

Many Thanks,

Hugh
    Usually that part is set up by the OS itself, as it's an ACPI shutdown command handled by the kernel, if my memory isn't failing me.
    You should double-check the BIOS for any ACPI-related things but it more than likely is 100% an OS configuration issue.

On Windows XP that should be under Control Panel - Power Options - Advanced - What to do when the power button is pressed, or something similar (it's been a while).

On Linux Mint you'll likely have to create a file in /etc/acpi/events, Google can help you find the file contents if needed.

I have zero experience with OpenElec on x86, but it should be a similar acpi event processing configuration file.

Cheers!

Comment

Re: single power button press - shutdown

Originally posted by ChromeD2 View Post
      Usually that part is set up by the OS itself, as it's an ACPI shutdown command handled by the kernel, if my memory isn't failing me.
      You should double-check the BIOS for any ACPI-related things but it more than likely is 100% an OS configuration issue.

On Windows XP that should be under Control Panel - Power Options - Advanced - What to do when the power button is pressed, or something similar (it's been a while).

On Linux Mint you'll likely have to create a file in /etc/acpi/events, Google can help you find the file contents if needed.

I have zero experience with OpenElec on x86, but it should be a similar acpi event processing configuration file.

Cheers!
      ChromeD2,

Thank you for the reply. I wont get a chance to look at this for a couple weeks probably but I will take a look around google and the openelec OS to see what I muster. Its good to have it confirmed that I wasnt mis-remembering that is was possible. I will report back if I get anywhere.

Many Thanks,

hugh

Comment

Working...
      X