ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Memory Issue - Error 55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Memory Issue - Error 55

I upgraded my memory from DDR3 1600MHz to DDR3 2133MHz, but there are some weird issues.

The previous RAM I had were these: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) at 1600MHz x2 (for 16GB total)
    G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR - Newegg.com

The RAM I upgraded to are these: G.Skill RipJaws (2x4GB) at 2133MHz
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL - Newegg.com

When one of the G.Skill RipJaws are installed into A1 or A2, I get Error 55 (No memory installed) and the system doesn't boot. And, this is also if the second memory stick is installed or not in B1 or B2 for dual channel memory.

When one of the G.Skill RipJaws are installed into B1 or B2, I get no error and the system boots normally.

When both G.Skill RipJaws are installed into both A1 and A2, I get Error 55 (No memory installed) and the system doesn't boot.

When both G. Skill RipJaws are installed into both B1 and B2, I get no error and the system boots normally.

Note: The G.Skill RipJaws were previously installed in an H61 board and ran without issue. The G.Skill Sniper 4GB modules work perfectly fine in the Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board populating all 4 slots. Neither memory-- RipJaws or Sniper-- were overclocked.

The Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board has beta BIOS L2.31A for Windows 8 compatibility and UEFI support.

Is this an issue with the memory slots A1 and A2 or a compatibility issue?

I've already looked at the memory compatibility chart for the board, and there are similar models that are compatible. The ones I have seem to be a slightly newer model.

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Memory Issue - Error 55

I wonder if there is an actual compatibility problem with your MB and your RAM or not.
    Going to the G.Skill motherboard compatibility list for that RAM, your motherboard is not listed.

If the MB list doesn't show your RAM, and the RAM list doesn't show your motherboard, there very well could be a problem between the two.

Incidentally, from reading the mb manual, putting the RAM in B1 and B2 means you are not using them as dual-channel if I am reading this correctly (P 20 of the mb manual).

One other thing, and I have no idea if it is pertinent. The manual also says that you need a K series processor to "overclock to 2133Mhz".

A. Do you have a K series processor?
    B. If you do not, I wonder if the CPU is somehow thinking this RAM is overclocked because of the 2133Mhz rating and therefore preventing it being used somehow.

From everything I know, it SHOULDN'T make a difference, but I have seen stranger things happen.
    Last edited by Spyone1; 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM. Reason: added the bit about K series processors

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

Comment

Originally posted by Spyone1 View Post
      I wonder if there is an actual compatibility problem with your MB and your RAM or not.
      Going to the G.Skill motherboard compatibility list for that RAM, your motherboard is not listed.

If the MB list doesn't show your RAM, and the RAM list doesn't show your motherboard, there very well could be a problem between the two.

Incidentally, from reading the mb manual, putting the RAM in B1 and B2 means you are not using them as dual-channel if I am reading this correctly (P 20 of the mb manual).

One other thing, and I have no idea if it is pertinent. The manual also says that you need a K series processor to "overclock to 2133Mhz".

A. Do you have a K series processor?
      B. If you do not, I wonder if the CPU is somehow thinking this RAM is overclocked because of the 2133Mhz rating and therefore preventing it being used somehow.

From everything I know, it SHOULDN'T make a difference, but I have seen stranger things happen.

ON the AsRock site the new memory is NOT on the compatibility list (G.Skill RipJaws (2x4GB) at 2133MHz) neither is the old memory either. Here's the link to the memory compatibility list

ASRock > Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

You'll have all sorts of issue's till you install a set of memory from the compatibility list, always check a mother boards site for the list(they all do it).
      Last edited by jaggerwild; 02-17-2014, 08:17 PM.
      MSI X-99SLI
      Intel 5930K WATER
      EVGA Nilla 1080
      POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Originally posted by jaggerwild View Post
        ON the AsRock site the new memory is NOT on the compatibility list (G.Skill RipJaws (2x4GB) at 2133MHz) neither is the old memory either. Here's the link to the memory compatibility list

ASRock > Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

You'll have all sorts of issue's till you install a set of memory from the compatibility list, always check a mother boards site for the list(they all do it).
        Correction on the G.Skill, here is the exact model of the Sniper RAM: F3-12800CL9-4GBSR

They came in packs of 2 as an 8GB kit-- F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR. I've used that RAM for over two years now on this board, and have had no issues whatsoever with it, from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

So, this could be entirely a compatibility issue with the 2133MHz DRAM?

Honestly, it would be great if every memory module would work because with the way memory pricing is nowadays-- I bought those G.Skill Sniper 8GB kits for $43.99 back in 2012-- I'd like to get a brand I like that's also affordable, pop it in the board and have it work for once WITHOUT ISSUE.

Why can't it be that way? It's too much of a hassle having to return incompatible RAM or looking at memory compatibility lists hoping it'll work. It's like playing Russian Roulette with the RAM and hari-kari with your wallet.
        Last edited by octoberasian; 02-19-2014, 07:12 AM.

Comment

As Spyone1 said, if you have DIMMs in channel A or B only, you are not running dual channel. Usually for two DIMMs, the best slots to use are A2 and B2.

DDR2 memory does not have the compatibility issues that DDR3 memory tends to have. Then we have another factor, when Intel moved the memory controller from the board's chipset to the CPU itself, first done with the first i7/socket 1366 processors. Note the time that DDR3 and those processors were both available, really the same time.

Memory compatibility, or the lack of it, is based on the type of memory chips used in the DIMMs. Actually, that is a requirement/limitation of the on-CPU memory controller, only certain types of memory chips will work.

Yes it would be great if most or every model of DDR3 memory worked with every board (actually the CPU's memory controller), but they simply don't. The only DDR3 memory I've used that worked in any system I have (SB, IVB, and Haswell) is the Samsung "Green" DDR3 memory, which of course is no longer sold.

Try your new memory in slots A2 and B2. You can also try slightly increasing the System Agent voltage, which is for the CPU's memory controller. That setting can vary depending on the CPU you have (SB or IVB), which we don't know. I would also try the memory with ALL memory settings on Auto at first, just to see if it will POST.

Comment

Working...
          X