Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G41C-GS: 3 beeps, no post

Hi all,
    I think this is a common problem in the forum, but I also want (if possible) anyone to explain me why it happens.

I have a G41C-GS motherboard, with a Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G memory module (that is 2Gb, 1333 DDR3) installed. I turn it on, and keeps doing series of 3 long beeps. The ASRock page says it means a memory problem. And in fact, this memory module is not in the memory QVL for this motherboard.

As any other people that asked before the same question, I'd like to be sure I should buy a memory module in the QVL. I also tried using DDR2 memory modules (not in the QVL too) with same results. I also tried changing the FSB1 jumper, but again the beeps ...

Are this motherboards so sensitive to different memory implementations? Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks in advance :)

Re: G41C-GS: 3 beeps, no post

Did you reset the BIOS before changing.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Did you reset the BIOS before changing.
      Yes, I also cleared CMOS. Any other ideas?

Comment

No new ideas? Should I try to get a memory module referred in the QVL?

Comment

I've always had 100% success using memory from a QVL. It's certainly not just this board that has memory compatibility "issues", it's any newer board, and much more so if it uses DDR3 memory.

Specifically, it's the memory controller in a system, which is on the chipset or in the CPU on more current systems. Memory compatibility is hard to explain, it's a combination of the type of memory chips used and the way they are arranged on the memory card itself. If you check the technical datasheet specs for the memory controller, it describes the type of memory chips and their configuration that will work with the memory controller. Those specs are not something we ever deal with otherwise, and it is not easy finding the specs of a particular model of memory. Some memory manufactures will post the datasheet about the memory, but most don't. There might be more aspects about this that I am not aware of, as I am going by what I have read about memory controllers in datasheets.

It seems DDR2 memory is easier to match with a memory controller, or DDR3 memory is more difficult. I've mixed two different makes of DDR2 memory in a board, and it worked fine, but never with DDR3. I would not bother trying to match specs of memory with a memory controller, just use the QVL unless you have a box of different memory types to try.

Comment

Thanks for the answer, parsec.

I'll try with one in the QVL and I'll let you know

Comment

Working...
            X