Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock MB-970EX4 RAID 5 Windows 2012

Hello All,

I'm attempting to do a RAID 5 configuration on this motherboard for a Windows Server 2012 install. I could only get RAID 0 (striping) and RAID 1 (mirroring) to work. For some reason, the Windows 2012 installation doesn't like RAID 5. It'll break up the RAID into seperate drives. It will give a messages like "Windows cannot be installed on this Drive because it is not bootable" and or it is a Microsoft Reserved Partiont. I went through these install steps ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/raid/970%2...e4/English.pdf to no avail. I treated it like a Windows 8 install so it looks like a USB Floppy drive isn't required in order to make boot diskette. Please let me know what information you need and I'll go ahead and gather them for you.

Thanks!

Re: ASRock MB-970EX4 RAID 5 Windows 2012

Ah, Win Server 2012 drivers, always a fun topic, since there are so few. At least it was like that early on, and has improved but not perfect.

You "... treated it like a Windows 8 install", meaning it is similar to WS 2012, or assumed a driver would be native to WS 2012? Either way, I would not assume a basic AMD RAID driver for your board's chipset is native to WS 2012.

The "floppy" RAID driver for use on a USB flash drive is listed under Windows 8 in the download page of your board, SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation), here: ASRock > 970 Extreme4

That is not a guaranteed fix for you, but simple to do and worth a try.

PS: Just noticed that the version of this driver included for Windows 8 seems identical to the Window 7 version. Right or wrong, I don't know.

Comment

Re: ASRock MB-970EX4 RAID 5 Windows 2012

Heh, why choose RAID5? Expect some awfully disappointing write speeds.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
      X