No announcement yet.

Z97 Extreme 6 - Help finding driver for pci simple communications controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme 6 - Help finding driver for pci simple communications controller

Z97 Extreme 6 - Help finding driver for pci simple communications controller

This in regard to my asrock Z97 Extreme6 Mother board running the newly installed Windows Home Server 2011 OS ( A variant of Windows Server 2008 based on win 7) . Under the Device Manager there is an error by the device: pci simple communications controller. For the pci simple communications controller, I pointed to the driver disk to load the driver, but it can't find the driver.

I suspect if I could figure out what .inf file the driver it is in for a win 7 or win 8 64 bit operating system I could edit it and get it to load. Any ideas? I had 5 or so other drivers that were not loading I was able to get them loaded one way or another.

I am not even sure what the pci simple communications controller is, but I suspect it may have to do with the audio, as the speaker connected to the MB is not working, and the OS says the system has no speaker. If that is all that is broken, it is no biggie
    The Hardware ID's for this device are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_8CBA1849&REV_00
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_8CBA1849
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&CC_078000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&CC_0780

It's location is: PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0

- I know 8086 = Intel

Thanks.

Re: Z97 Extreme 6 - Help finding driver for pci simple communications controller

It is a pain trying to find those devices in my device manager (no search function). I found the first (and possibly second) device under System Devices, going to properties of the Intel devices and looking at the Events tab (in Windows 8.1 64).

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
    driver provider: intel
    driver date 3/13/2014
    driver version: 10.0.0.1204
    C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\TeeDriverx64.sys
    inf name: oem20.inf

If I find the others I'll post details, but maybe this will get you enough info to find that driver yourself, and who knows... maybe installing that could solve the other issues?

Comment

Re: Z97 Extreme 6 - Help finding driver for pci simple communications controller

Looking at futher details of this Hardware ID : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_8CBA1849&REV_00

I found the Device Name DEV_8CBA = LynxPoint-LP HECI #0 - 8CBA

Looking further I found an article on LynxPoint at: What you need to know about Haswell Lynx Point chipset - APC

Some info from the site:

The Haswell CPU platform will be accompanied by a new Series-8 chipset otherwise known as the platform controller hub (PCH) codenamed Lynx Point. This will initially include the Z87 and H87 parts aimed at enthusiasts and mainstream system builds respectively followed by a budget H81 chipset to replace the old H61 model later in 2013. Enterprise users will gain access to the Q87 Q85 and B85 chipsets replacing the Q77 Q75 and B75 Ivy Bridge components.

The USB 3.0 bug

Anyway not sure what this all means. I am going to test USB 3 speeds, but so far I can see no issues with my system so I will go forward and not worry about this too much for now. That is the risk I took going with a new MB and new 4th Gen CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
        It is a pain trying to find those devices in my device manager (no search function). I found the first (and possibly second) device under System Devices, going to properties of the Intel devices and looking at the Events tab (in Windows 8.1 64).

Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
        driver provider: intel
        driver date 3/13/2014
        driver version: 10.0.0.1204
        C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\TeeDriverx64.sys
        inf name: oem20.inf

If I find the others I'll post details, but maybe this will get you enough info to find that driver yourself, and who knows... maybe installing that could solve the other issues?
        I searched for the .inf file and terms like TeeDriver and "Management Engine Interface" but had no luck, It may be because you are using a
        Intel i7-4790 while I am using a i5-4590
        . I did not see the "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface" listed in my devices, so maybe it is it though.

Comment

With the recent chipsets and WHS 2011 I've had to hack my USB drivers to get them to fully install and work properly.

WHS 2011 is based off of Server 2008 R2, of which there is little vendor support for newer chipsets.

While THIS thread is AMD related, it's not the AMD part that the editing described is relevant. It's the OS version(s)(ing), NTxxx, of/in the inf's that is probably what's holding you back here.

If you have a hard time with editing them, let me know via PM and I'll take a look see at 'em.
          Last edited by - wardog -; 06-03-2014, 06:09 PM.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            With the recent chipsets and WHS 2011 I've had to hack my USB drivers to get them to fully install and work properly.

WHS 2011 is based off of Server 2008 R2, of which there is little vendor support for newer chipsets.

While THIS thread is AMD related, it's not the AMD part that the editing described is relevant. It's the OS version(s)(ing), NTxxx, of/in the inf's that is probably what's holding you back here.

If you have a hard time with editing them, let me know via PM and I'll take a look see at 'em.
            Yes, I did have to hack a couple .inf files to get the the Intel Lan to get it to work. I also had to manually load USB driversand Realtek Lan drivers as well by selecting a few .inf files in order to load them. If I knew what .inf file this device was in it would go a long way in resloving the issue I think.

Comment

The Device Manager error of, "pci simple communications controller", is a side affect of not installing the Intel Management Engine (IME) software, plain and simple.

You won't see a general Device Manager entry for IME, but you should find an entry in the System devices list, called Intel Management Engine Interface, after the IME software is installed.

This is one of the Details from the Intel Management Engine Interface Properties in Device Manager, from a Windows 8.1 installation on a Z97 Extreme 6 board:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pci simple com controller.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	754406

Finding a version of IME that is compatible with WHS 2011 may be difficult, since you are using a non-server type board. I know that Windows 8 drivers have been used with WHS 2012, but I don't know about WHS 2011. You could try the Windows 7 version of the IME software on your board's download page.

You may be able to get away with not installing IME, but if you notice some missing functionality on your system, that could be related to the lack of the IME software.

Comment

Awesome, yes thanks, I will install the Intel Management Engine Interface software on the server later today. I looked at the config XML in the install folder of this application and it contains the line osidentifier name="W2K8" architecture="x64" , so it should install fine.

Comment

Thanks, installing the Intel Management Engine (IME) software did the trick, no issues with the board now!!!

Comment

Great, glad that worked. The IME software has become more and more essential for the functioning of Intel PC platforms with each new CPU and chipset generation.

Which version of IME did you use, the Windows 7 download? I just want to make sure for future reference which version worked for WHS 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                      Great, glad that worked. The IME software has become more and more essential for the functioning of Intel PC platforms with each new CPU and chipset generation.

Which version of IME did you use, the Windows 7 download? I just want to make sure for future reference which version worked for WHS 2011.
                      There was only one version that covered the Win OS's and installed without issue. The folder of the name of the zip file it was packed in was: ME(v10.0.0.1204_1.5M).zip

Comment

Originally posted by jaketown View Post
                        There was only one version that covered the Win OS's and installed without issue. The folder of the name of the zip file it was packed in was: ME(v10.0.0.1204_1.5M).zip
                        That's true, but at one point there were two IME versions available for download on our board's page, the one you listed and ME(v9.1.0.1120_1.5M).zip. The ME(v9.1.0.1120_1.5M).zip file is no longer listed (as I just discovered!), but might be on the board's CD.

I'm not sure what the significance of having both of those files is/was. I used the v10.0.0.1204_1.5M version. I downloaded both a few weeks ago just before I bought this board. Just curious, probably makes no difference which one is used. The dates of the files within the zip file are only about a month apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IME version 9.1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	754416

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          That's true, but at one point there were two IME versions available for download on our board's page, the one you listed and ME(v9.1.0.1120_1.5M).zip. The ME(v9.1.0.1120_1.5M).zip file is no longer listed (as I just discovered!), but might be on the board's CD.

I'm not sure what the significance of having both of those files is/was. I used the v10.0.0.1204_1.5M version. I downloaded both a few weeks ago just before I bought this board. Just curious, probably makes no difference which one is used. The dates of the files within the zip file are only about a month apart.

[ATTACH]6944[/ATTACH]
                          Yea, I also used the 10.0.0.1204 version because in the 1st reply to my question, vuldin listed the 10.0.0.1204 version. I usually figure if they no longer make a version available there was a bug fix or something.

Comment

Working...
                          X