New to Overclocking - need help - ASRock Z87 OC Formula/ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Overclocking - need help - ASRock Z87 OC Formula/ac

I have tried several of the BIOS preset OC profiles. Every time, the system freezes at the WIN8.1 logo. None of the settings seem to work.

i7 4770k
    GSkill DDR3 2400 16GB
    HyperX 240GB SSD boot drive

Started out simple with 4Ghz. Freezes... almost seems like there is an issue with SATA port when I try to OC.

Re: New to Overclocking - need help - ASRock Z87 OC Formula/ac

Are you saying that you did not have the freezing issue when you don't use an OC profile?

Which SATA port are you using for your OS drive? The four top SATA ports are connected to the ASMedia SATA chips, two on this board. The lower six ports are connected to the native Intel SATA controller, which is much preferred over the ASMedia.

Freezing is a sign you may be using the ASMedia SATA ports.

What PSU are you using? Using a video card? What CPU cooler? PC case? BIOS version? SATA drivers?

Detailed system info helps diagnose issues and avoids time wasted with questions...

Comment

Correct, everything works fine if BIOS are all set to defaults. Kingston SSD is plugged into the Intel first SATA port. I use the ASMedia ports for bluray drives.

Corsair 1000watt PSU
      XFX HD7870 video card
      Corsair H100 CPU liquid cooler
      Corsair case
      Just upgraded to BIOS 2.00
      Latest drivers on ASRock's site

Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment

Sorry to say, your system information is not very detailed. Such as, what is the model number of the memory you use?

We would need to see what the auto OC option sets various options in the BIOS to in order to possibly find what is wrong.

If you put a USB flash drive in one of the USB 2.0 ports, and while in the BIOS press F12, that will cause a screen shot of the BIOS screen to be saved to the USB flash drive. The main screens of interest would be the OC Tweaker screen, DRAM Configuration, and the Advanced, CPU Configuration screen.

For example, the auto OC option might cause the memory speed to increase beyond its capability. Or a voltage is not set correctly.

Did you ever look at the auto OC settings in the BIOS, to double check what they are for memory speed and voltage, for example?

This is why I dislike auto OC options, they discourage users from learning how to OC, and if problems occur they don't know how to diagnose it.

Just an FYI, the following is from the info page of another manufacture's Z87 board that also uses the ASMedia SATA chip on your board:

ATAPI devices are not supported.

You can find that here: Random Z87 board

Optical disk drives are ATAPI devices. Why ASRock does not include this warning, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Sorry to say, your system information is not very detailed. Such as, what is the model number of the memory you use?
          16 GB of GSkill DDR3 2400 (F3-2400C10D-16GTX) I made sure it was on the ASRock list of approved DRAM before I purchased.

I've checked every setting and voltage. Even though I bought i7 4770k, i think it's a dud. From all i have read, it's a 50/50 chance of getting a CPU that can be OC'ed. I'll be going back to AMD after this experience. Definitely not getting what I thought I was paying for.

As for the ASMedia ports, haven't had a single issue with the bluray burners.

Comment

Agree with parsec, it's good to try to learn what settings in the bios do and how there effecting the overclock, I learnt a lot from Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*
            I also like you use Intel extreme tuning utility, Overclocking is a learning curve it's not a flick a switch and your done IMO, Also join hwbot.org and you can download and share other overclockers profiles, Rockie rumble #10 starts in 2 hours...

Comment

Using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I finally got stable at 4.13Ghz with highest temp at only 78c.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrussel View Post
                Using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I finally got stable at 4.13Ghz with highest temp at only 78c.
                Nice score you got there on hwbot, give you an idea I have to push my 3770k to 4.5GhZ to score 860 points...
                I was in Rookie rumble #9 and came 78th out of 294
                Last edited by Joe-912; 09-27-2014, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X