Bios takes longer when second hdd installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios takes longer when second hdd installed

Hi guys I have a Asrock B75M-GL R2.0 but I also have this issue on other models, here is my only issue, when there is 1 ssd plugged in the board and PC is turned on it goes super fast to windows 8 desktop with no logos being shown now when I plug in a second hard drive (not ssd) and turn on the PC the asrock bios takes about 4 to 5 second to disappear , I tried ultra fast boot, disabling splash screen, first boot is the uefi installation. Any help on this thanks guys

Re: Bios takes longer when second hdd installed

We've seen this same situation reported in the past, and the answer is in your description of the problem.

Quite simply, the HDD, or any HDD, is slower to get started or wake up than a SSD. Part of the POST process is establishing the connection between the board's SATA controller(s) and all the drives in the PC. That is done before the OS boots, even with the drives that are just storage drives.

HDDs are partially mechanical devices and take longer to start working than an all electronic, non-mechanical SSD. The HDD you are using might have a problem that is causing it to take longer to get started, but most likely you are just experiencing the slower start up time of all HDDs compared to SSDs.

You mentioned "... first boot is the uefi installation.". If you are using a true UEFI booting Windows installation, that actually uses the UEFI firmware's capabilities, your POST time is drastically reduced. But that will reveal the slow start up time of HDDs that is normally hidden by the slow POST of BIOS/legacy booting OS installations.

There's nothing you can do about this, unless you put the HDD in an internal enclosure and hot plug it via eSATA or USB once the PC boots. Or, go all SSD storage.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      We've seen this same situation reported in the past, and the answer is in your description of the problem.

Quite simply, the HDD, or any HDD, is slower to get started or wake up than a SSD. Part of the POST process is establishing the connection between the board's SATA controller(s) and all the drives in the PC. That is done before the OS boots, even with the drives that are just storage drives.

HDDs are partially mechanical devices and take longer to start working than an all electronic, non-mechanical SSD. The HDD you are using might have a problem that is causing it to take longer to get started, but most likely you are just experiencing the slower start up time of all HDDs compared to SSDs.

You mentioned "... first boot is the uefi installation.". If you are using a true UEFI booting Windows installation, that actually uses the UEFI firmware's capabilities, your POST time is drastically reduced. But that will reveal the slow start up time of HDDs that is normally hidden by the slow POST of BIOS/legacy booting OS installations.

There's nothing you can do about this, unless you put the HDD in an internal enclosure and hot plug it via eSATA or USB once the PC boots. Or, go all SSD storage.
      I thank you for your reply sorry I do not want to mention other brand or anything but I have a Asus board which I also pluged in the same hdd and the bios screen post really fast very close to using the ssd on its own you nearly do not see the splash screen

Comment

Well, all boards are different, including their UEFI/BIOS and POST code.

Is the other board you mentioned the same CPU and chipset platform as the ASRock board? Same OS, SATA chipset and driver, etc?

Comment

Working...
        X