Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPU Power Connector: Use Only 4 Pin or The Full 8 Pin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Power Connector: Use Only 4 Pin or The Full 8 Pin?

I have a Z97 Extreme6 MoBo with an i7-4790K and a EVGA 750W G2 power supply.
    I will probably do some overclocking but I'm not sure if I should use the full 8 pins on the CPU connector?
    The EVGA manual states that the full 8 pins are not necessary unless one does some "extreme" or "heavy" overclocking.
    If I plug in the 8 pins instead of just using the 4 pin, will it cause a problem? In other words, does the full 8 pin automatically load
    more power or only if the system needs to pull it?
    Thank you much,
    kephafan
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA 1150--Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core LGA 1150--EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC 2.0 ACX GPU--Corsair H80i 120mm Liquid Cooler--Kingston HyperX Predator Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2666--EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold Modular--Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower--Crucial MX100 128GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--Crucial MX100 256GB SATA III MLC 2.5" SSD--WD 500GB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD--WD My Book 4TB External HD--Windows 10--1 extra top-mount Thermaltake 200mm Blue LED exhaust fan.

Re: CPU Power Connector: Use Only 4 Pin or The Full 8 Pin?

Using the eight pin CPU power connector will not cause problems, or cause more power to be automatically delivered to the board.

The extra pins/wires provide the capability of providing more power to the board if it is needed, or more accurately, if it is being used.

While EVGA may be correct about the actual need for the eight pin connector, having twice as many wires and connectors for transmitting power is better if only from a safety standpoint. More conductors means less current in each one, which means lower temperatures. More connectors (pins) means less resistance to current and less wasted power and heat.

The 24 pin main ATX power connector only has two 12V pins, the 20 pin version only one 12V pin! Given that, I'll use as many connection as I can to provide power to the CPU.

Interesting that EVGA has that statement in their manual, I've never seen that in any other PSU manual that I have owned.

Comment

Working...
    X