If someone has a z97 extreme6 really need quick help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If someone has a z97 extreme6 really need quick help

Looking at page 11 and dont get the part where it says "to minimize the boot time, use intel SATA ports 3_0 for your boot drive"
    Do they mean SATA 3_0_3? I have one SSD which i plan to boot from and one HD can i connect both there?? and does it matter if its the top or bottom connection?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Dont know why its stated as 11 its actually on 21, I figured out i extra confused myself by reading SATA3_0_3 as another location rather then SATA3, but it still does not make it clear if 0 is the location closer or further when your standing on the side of the comp (where you normally work from)
    Last edited by sebastian869; 11-20-2014, 10:31 AM. Reason: screwed up

Re: If someone has a z97 extreme6 really need quick help

Originally posted by sebastian869 View Post
    Looking at page 11 and dont get the part where it says "to minimize the boot time, use intel SATA ports 3_0 for your boot drive" Do they mean SATA 3_0_3? I have one SSD which i plan to boot from and one HD can i connect both there?? and does it matter if its the top or bottom connection?
    You should be connect it to either of the 6 ports going to the Intel controller (not the SATA3_A* ports).

Comment

The SATA 3_0 is the one in the middle and on the top of the block of SATA sockets. The SATA3_3 is the one below that one.

Comment

i realized yesterday i was doing something retarded i was reading the SATA3 as an additional location digit thus i was confused as to how could there be 3 locations..

I was told its 12 On the MOBO layout (or 3 down from the top) the only thing i want to make sure is does it matter and its the closer or further one? I went with the closer.

Im using a SSD for the boot drive hope that wont give me any issues from researching i heard you have to change the bios the SATA controller to AHCI.

Wish these things had more lanes.

Comment

In the modern IKEA era we need improvements not race to the bottom. Im sure to the engineers who built the setup/circuits its obvious but id bet a lot of money when you read a how to replace your clutch manual written like this they would be calling tech support as well. As theres another part i dont get.

It states mem input "priority 1" is a2-b2, priority 2 is a1-b1. Does that make sense? again, not explained in any way

Comment

Ya know, I was wondering what in the world you meant by SATA3_0_3, and I own a Z97 Extreme 6 board! Then I finally woke up...

I removed it from a case two weeks ago to install a different board, and just put it in another case, finishing that last night. While I was connecting my drives, I noticed (and remembered) the goofy (and non-standard) way the Intel SATA ports are numbered and ordered on this board!!

This board has the new (and unusable at this time) SATA Express connection, that uses two regular SATA ports plus another special connector. Because of the SATA Express connection, the ordering of the SATA ports is different, which is fine but can be confusing.

colliedoggie explained it correctly, but let's take a closer look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z97ex6 sata.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	754725

The two SATA ports pointed to by #12, are Intel SATA3 ports 0 (top) and 3 (bottom.) You chose the top one, port 0, which is correct.

The ordering of the Intel SATA3 ports (different than the ASMedia ports) looking at the picture above (from the manual!) are from top to bottom, for the ports on the left, 0, 1, 2. Then we move to the ports on the right, back to the ports pointed to by #12, are ports 3, 4, 5.

So, my bad on that one, sorry about that.

After all that, it is not essential to use port 0 for the OS drive, I've installed Windows on a drive connected to port 4 for example. BUT when I did that, it was the ONLY drive connected to the PC. You should have only one drive connected (really just connected to power) when installing Windows, since otherwise it will put the boot partition on another drive. If you then later remove or format that other drive, the PC won't boot. You can fix that but why not just have it done right from the start.

SO, sorry to not get the message about the SATA ports.

On to your memory question. To me, it is not a big deal using memory slots A2 and B2 when using two sticks of memory. Of course you can use slots A1 and B1 instead, but if for some reason you get memory problems, change to A2 and B2.

It is more important that your memory is compatible with your board and CPU, what is the full model name and number of your memory?

Comment

Ok i get your point about the controller but what about the part where it says for the boot part connect to _0?

Also, it says that if ur using SATA express it shares with SATA3 4,5? and you can only use m2 or Sata express , one or the other, if im reading correctly. This thing needs more lanes. I doubt in the near future i'll be using either but i dont want to never say never.

Just so im 100% on this _0 is the first one (or if your looking at mobo layout 12 its the one on the left) is that correct? and does it matter if you connect another SATA connection to the other port?

They really could lable the SATA3 ports better not that hard just draw it from left to right not numbers left-right but ports up-down.

I have one SDD i want to use as Boot and i have a new raptor for space and the old one from old comp which i'll put last so i have a working comp in the mean time.

thanks for input

Comment

Ah so the number SATA ports are using the Intel controller?

Comment

Ok i get your point about the controller but what about the part where it says for the boot part connect to _0?

Also, it says that if ur using SATA express it shares with SATA3 4,5? and you can only use m2 or Sata express , one or the other, if im reading correctly. This thing needs more lanes. I doubt in the near future i'll be using either but i dont want to never say never.

Just so im 100% on this _0 is the first one (or if your looking at mobo layout 12 its the one on the left) is that correct? and does it matter if you connect another SATA connection to the other port?

They really could lable the SATA3 ports better not that hard just draw it from left to right not numbers left-right but ports up-down.

I have one SDD i want to use as Boot and i have a new raptor for space and the old one from old comp which i'll put last so i have a working comp in the mean time.

thanks for input
                  In the picture, the two ports that 12 points to, are Intel SATA ports 0 on the left, and SATA port 3 on the right. So yes you are right.

Of course you can use the SATA3_3 port if a drive is connected to SATA3_0, or not.

A SATA Express SSD will use SATA ports SATA3_4 and SATA3_5, plus the SATAE_1 port. So you cannot use two regular SATA drives in SATA ports SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 if you have a SATA Express drive connected.

You are right about the M2_2 slot also sharing SATA ports SATA3_4 and SATA3_5, if you use an M.2 drive in slot M2_2, then SATA ports SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 will not be available.

You did not mention the Ultra M.2 slot, M2_1, which does not share/use any of the Intel SATA ports.

Understand that the sharing of the SATA ports/lanes is NOT a limitation caused by ASRock. That is a limitation of the Intel Z97 chipset, and ASRock can't do anything to change that. No other Z97 board made by any manufacture can do better than the configuration on this board.

The Z97 Extreme 6 board has great storage drive connectivity options/flexibility, it is not about a large number of SATA port connections. It is the first board to have an Ultra M.2 port, that uses multiple PCIe 3.0 lanes, and is still the fastest interface available (a few other boards have this connection now too.)

If you need more Intel SATA ports, you should get an X99 board, the Intel X99 chipset supplies 10 SATA III ports.

Yes, the ASMedia SATA ports are labeled SATA3_A1 through SATA3_A4. They are provided by two ASMedia ASM1061 chips. They do not perform at the same level as the Intel SATA ports, and cannot work with the Intel SATA ports.

You have six Intel SATA III ports, and three drives, so plenty of Intel SATA ports, with three left over.

Comment

I guess to get to the point i have an SDD which ive never used that I'd like to use as boot. Then i have one new raptor and one old that i wan t to use as data, no raid. hate how short of lanes this board is. Manual says if eSATA is connected A4 will not function., 4 and 5 are share with SATA express. So I should just connect to 0 for arguments sake than whats the best spots to connect the 2 HD one one Blu ray? (I've never used a SDD, it comes with a DVD, can it be used as a boot from the start, will it let me format w/out the "drivers" and do i install them after the partition?)

Thanks

Comment

no, im not planning on ever connecting ESATA nor M.2.
                      Just SSD that id like to use as a boot drive (never used one before and it comes with a "driver" disk i guess so i hope it will let me partition and format it) then i have 2 reg HD and one DVD SATA. Which connection do you think are best to go with after say 0 for the boot Hd.

says 4/5 are shared for ESATA so i dont want to use them and id like to stick to the intel controller. is are all NONE "A"s intel like Retteren was saying?

Thanks

Comment

First, relax.
                        Second, this board has as many lanes as the chipset allows, and more. Once you get to the "and more", you have to start sharing. Or you need to sell your Z97 chipset board and buy a much more expensive Z99 board (and much more expensive compatible processor).
                        Third, Put your BluRay on one of the ASRock SATA ports, unless you can make a case for it ever being able to saturate them (hint: I don't think you will be able to)
                        Fourth, put your SSD on Intel 0, and your hard drives on two of the other Intel SATA ports that won't conflict with your possible future use of M.2 or eSATA (i.e., don't use 4 or 5), and you'll be fine.

Comment

no, im not planning on ever connecting ESATA nor M.2.
                          Just SSD that id like to use as a boot drive (never used one before and it comes with a "driver" disk i guess so i hope it will let me partition and format it) then i have 2 reg HD and one DVD SATA. Which connection do you think are best to go with after say 0 for the boot Hd.

says 4/5 are shared for ESATA so i dont want to use them and id like to stick to the intel controller. is are all NONE "A"s intel like Retteren was saying?

Thanks
                          Your Samsung 850 Pro, if that is the SSD you are talking about, does not have a driver on that disk. It does not use or need a special driver from Samsung.

The disk has either just the warranty information, or that and the Samsung Magician software that you can install once Windows is installed.

The Magician software is just a utility used to check the health of your SSD, allows you to test its performance, and other useful features.

You are not required to use the software, that SSD will operate fine without it, but it will help you learn about your SSD and maintain it, so it is worth using.

The SATA ports that don't have an 'A' in their name are the Intel ports.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                            Ya know, I was wondering what in the world you meant by SATA3_0_3, and I own a Z97 Extreme 6 board! Then I finally woke up...

I removed it from a case two weeks ago to install a different board, and just put it in another case, finishing that last night. While I was connecting my drives, I noticed (and remembered) the goofy (and non-standard) way the Intel SATA ports are numbered and ordered on this board!!

This board has the new (and unusable at this time) SATA Express connection, that uses two regular SATA ports plus another special connector. Because of the SATA Express connection, the ordering of the SATA ports is different, which is fine but can be confusing.

colliedoggie explained it correctly, but let's take a closer look:

[ATTACH]7401[/ATTACH]

The two SATA ports pointed to by #12, are Intel SATA3 ports 0 (top) and 3 (bottom.) You chose the top one, port 0, which is correct.

The ordering of the Intel SATA3 ports (different than the ASMedia ports) looking at the picture above (from the manual!) are from top to bottom, for the ports on the left, 0, 1, 2. Then we move to the ports on the right, back to the ports pointed to by #12, are ports 3, 4, 5.

So, my bad on that one, sorry about that.

After all that, it is not essential to use port 0 for the OS drive, I've installed Windows on a drive connected to port 4 for example. BUT when I did that, it was the ONLY drive connected to the PC. You should have only one drive connected (really just connected to power) when installing Windows, since otherwise it will put the boot partition on another drive. If you then later remove or format that other drive, the PC won't boot. You can fix that but why not just have it done right from the start.

SO, sorry to not get the message about the SATA ports.

On to your memory question. To me, it is not a big deal using memory slots A2 and B2 when using two sticks of memory. Of course you can use slots A1 and B1 instead, but if for some reason you get memory problems, change to A2 and B2.

It is more important that your memory is compatible with your board and CPU, what is the full model name and number of your memory?

I apologize Parsec,
                            But I'm really confused here. The manual says to use SATA3_0 which is position 12 as you drew it (And if I'm sitting working on the computer at 90 deg to it just to make it ideal it’s the slot closest to me?)
                            And the part I really don’t get it which slots I can use. I understand the point that some share lanes and the "a" ones are using the ASmedia controller.
                            Currently I only have 1 SSD (which id like to boot from and use as my windows drive, its why I got it) and I have 2 raptors one older one new and lastly a dvd/blu ray burner. Can you please tell me which slots you would connect to if you were in my shoes?
                            And I only have 2 sticks of memory would you go with a1-b1 or a2-b2?
                            Thanks,
                            Sebastian

p.s. no plans to use an m.2 os ESATA or any of the perks
                            Last edited by sebastian869; 11-24-2014, 02:21 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Memory: I would use A2-B2 (the black connectors), as written on page 16 of the Quick Install guide.

When I installed my system, I plugged in my ssd disk in SATA3_3 and the ODD on port SATA3_5. Hanging off an old hdd on SATA3_4 made the system blue screen right after showing the "starting windows" logo for the first time (consistently). Removing the drive (and possibly reseating the DRAM sticks) solved that. It's running fine now.

As parsec says, don't sweat the choice of ports, as long as the boot drive in located on the SATA3_[0-5] ports and not the SAT3_A[0-3] ports (the ones closer to the ATX power connector).

Comment

Working...
                              X