Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z97 extreme6: Am I ok with Ram that is not on the compatibility list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 extreme6: Am I ok with Ram that is not on the compatibility list?

Ok, I am considering changing my build from an msi z87 g45 to the asrock z97 extreme6. I need more than 6 sata ports and the asrock board has 10. The only problem is that I have already ordered the ram for the msi board and I notice it is not on the compatibility list. The ram that I have coming is: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9Q-16GZH. It is good ram and from a good company, but I don't see this specific ram on the compatability list. I am a little worried, but does ASROCK really test all types of ram from each manufacturer?

Please help me obi-wan. You are my only hope!

Thanks,

Chip
    Last edited by chiptouz; 11-23-2014, 11:20 PM. Reason: More info in title.

Re: Z97 extreme6: Am I ok with Ram that is not on the compatibility list?

The memory listed in this board's memory support list is not the only memory that will work with your board and CPU. The memory controller is part of the CPU and is one of if not the main thing that determines compatibility.

But, any random DDR3 memory is not guaranteed to work. It's a tough call without first hand experience. These are the good and possibly not good points I can see.

G.SKILL's model naming standard does not seem to difficult to parse. They are very consistent in the use of a certain order of the data needed to describe each product, so if we study it we can figure it out.

You have the F3-2133C9Q-16GZH. F3 means DDR3, and then the speed and timing (2133 and C9). Q means a quad channel or four matched DIMM kit, and 16G is the total size, 16GB. All of that information could apply to many different models of memory, using different memory chips configured in different ways. Nothing so far is really specifying a particular model of memory.

That leaves us with ZH. Looking at other G.SKILL memory models, they commonly use a two or three letter code for a specific model. A given model may also have multiple speed, timing, capacity, and kit types available. For example, an F3-1600C11D-8GZH is a ZH model rated at 1600 speed, C11 timing, Dual channel/two DIMM kit of 8GB total capacity.

We can find these G.SKILL models in this board's memory support list: F3-1866C9Q-32GZH, and F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH. I don't know if there is any difference between 'G' and "GB", but if not we have two ZH models included in the support list. Both are quad/four DIMM kits, so IMO a good sign for compatibility.

I also found this in the link you provided: Quad channel memory optimized for Intel Core i7 processor family for Socket LGA-2011 and X79 platform. Obviously that is not a Z97 board with Haswell processor.

It also states: Compatible with Intel dual channel systems. Intel XMP support for 2nd,3rd and 4th Generation Intel Core Processors. That does apply to your board and CPU.

IMO, I think this memory will work with your board and processor. Was that memory listed as compatible with the MSI board you were going to buy?

You can always ask G.SKILL directly about this in their support forum right here at TweakTown: G.Skill

Comment

Motherboard manufacturers can't test every memory kit for compatibility with each motherboard model.

Check out the G.Skill memory compatibility list for your motherboard at: G.SKILL - RAM Configurator Results for ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Motherboards
      Your F3-2133C9Q-16GZH memory kit is in their list so you should be good to go.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        The memory listed in this board's memory support list is not the only memory that will work with your board and CPU. The memory controller is part of the CPU and is one of if not the main thing that determines compatibility.

But, any random DDR3 memory is not guaranteed to work. It's a tough call without first hand experience. These are the good and possibly not good points I can see.

G.SKILL's model naming standard does not seem to difficult to parse. They are very consistent in the use of a certain order of the data needed to describe each product, so if we study it we can figure it out.

You have the F3-2133C9Q-16GZH. F3 means DDR3, and then the speed and timing (2133 and C9). Q means a quad channel or four matched DIMM kit, and 16G is the total size, 16GB. All of that information could apply to many different models of memory, using different memory chips configured in different ways. Nothing so far is really specifying a particular model of memory.

That leaves us with ZH. Looking at other G.SKILL memory models, they commonly use a two or three letter code for a specific model. A given model may also have multiple speed, timing, capacity, and kit types available. For example, an F3-1600C11D-8GZH is a ZH model rated at 1600 speed, C11 timing, Dual channel/two DIMM kit of 8GB total capacity.

We can find these G.SKILL models in this board's memory support list: F3-1866C9Q-32GZH, and F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH. I don't know if there is any difference between 'G' and "GB", but if not we have two ZH models included in the support list. Both are quad/four DIMM kits, so IMO a good sign for compatibility.

I also found this in the link you provided: Quad channel memory optimized for Intel Core i7 processor family for Socket LGA-2011 and X79 platform. Obviously that is not a Z97 board with Haswell processor.

It also states: Compatible with Intel dual channel systems. Intel XMP support for 2nd,3rd and 4th Generation Intel Core Processors. That does apply to your board and CPU.

IMO, I think this memory will work with your board and processor. Was that memory listed as compatible with the MSI board you were going to buy?

You can always ask G.SKILL directly about this in their support forum right here at TweakTown: G.Skill
        Parsec,

Thank you for putting so much effort into looking into this for me. You definitely taught me something! Yes, the memory was on the compatibility list for the MSI board.

Thank you,

Chip

Comment

No problem at all, I've been looking at G.SKILL model numbers for a while now, given questions like yours. Plus I use some G.SKILL memory myself, so I think I've decoded their model number format fairly well. My post was basically a compilation of what (I think) I know about it.

If that memory was in the MSI Z87 board's list, that is another good sign that it will work in your ASRock Z97 board system. They both can use the same Intel processors, given appropriate BIOS updates for the newer CPUs, so that aspect of compatibility should be covered.

What a current board contributes to DDR3 memory compatibility is still a grey area to me. Some of it is determined by the BIOS of a board, but that may simply be in the range of values available for a certain memory parameter, as I learned from a recent thread in this forum. That thread involved G.SKILL memory too.

In the past, the memory controller was located on the board's chipset, not the CPU itself. While we would then talk about compatibility with the "board", most of that belonged to the memory controller on the chipset, which was determined by the processor manufacture whom also designed the chipset.

Please let us know if your memory works with your ASRock board.

Comment

No problem at all, I've been looking at G.SKILL model numbers for a while now, given questions like yours. Plus I use some G.SKILL memory myself, so I think I've decoded their model number format fairly well. My post was basically a compilation of what (I think) I know about it.

If that memory was in the MSI Z87 board's list, that is another good sign that it will work in your ASRock Z97 board system. They both can use the same Intel processors, given appropriate BIOS updates for the newer CPUs, so that aspect of compatibility should be covered.

What a current board contributes to DDR3 memory compatibility is still a grey area to me. Some of it is determined by the BIOS of a board, but that may simply be in the range of values available for a certain memory parameter, as I learned from a recent thread in this forum. That thread involved G.SKILL memory too.

In the past, the memory controller was located on the board's chipset, not the CPU itself. While we would then talk about compatibility with the "board", most of that belonged to the memory controller on the chipset, which was determined by the processor manufacture whom also designed the chipset.

Please let us know if your memory works with your ASRock board.
            To add to the point of compatible memory with the z97 extreme6...I have installed G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Desktop [COLOR=blue !important]Memory[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Model F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD

this is a Quad channel kit...BUT..here's my catch, i can only intall 3 of the 4 dimms without error ie: A1,A2,B1, (12gb) this is without any tweaking, the board auto recognized the memory and is listed as running at clock speed 2666, this board has no overclocking yet, my CPU is an i5 4690 Devils canyon. With all the #'s and letters I accidentally purchased memory not on the compatability list, I purchased 4*4 16gb etc etc and not the 2*4 16gb etc etc but all the other #'s were correct. I have yet to figure out my problem which could be voltage but I work so darn much my new build and I hav'nt seen each other since complete but with win 7 already on disc when i built this, everything runs fine. Just an fyi. I will update my progress on getting all dimms running as soon as I can. Thanks parsec and chiptouz....any suggestions appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo0u812 View Post
              To add to the point of compatible memory with the z97 extreme6...I have installed G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Model F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD

this is a Quad channel kit...BUT..here's my catch, i can only intall 3 of the 4 dimms without error ie: A1,A2,B1, (12gb) this is without any tweaking, the board auto recognized the memory and is listed as running at clock speed 2666, this board has no overclocking yet, my CPU is an i5 4690 Devils canyon. With all the #'s and letters I accidentally purchased memory not on the compatability list, I purchased 4*4 16gb etc etc and not the 2*4 16gb etc etc but all the other #'s were correct. I have yet to figure out my problem which could be voltage but I work so darn much my new build and I hav'nt seen each other since complete but with win 7 already on disc when i built this, everything runs fine. Just an fyi. I will update my progress on getting all dimms running as soon as I can. Thanks parsec and chiptouz....any suggestions appreciated
              Actually, I see your memory in the support list, if it really is G.SKILL F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD.

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Your problem sounds like you either have one bad stick of memory, or it is not fully seated in the DIMM slot.

What is the error you get when all four DIMMs are installed?

You can test the DIMM in slot B2 by removing all the other memory and just try to boot with that one DIMM. But first move that DIMM to a different slot, like A2. If it doesn't work, remove it and identify it somehow so it is not mixed up with the other DIMMs. Then try two DIMMs, one in A2 and B2. You need to test the B2 slot with another DIMM to make sure B2 is working correctly.

If you had a memory voltage problem, the PC wouldn't boot at all.

Sounds like you are using a Windows 7 installation from a different mother board? That can cause problems but a memory problem like you have would be not be caused by that.

Comment

Actually, I see your memory in the support list, if it really is G.SKILL F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD.

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Your problem sounds like you either have one bad stick of memory, or it is not fully seated in the DIMM slot.

What is the error you get when all four DIMMs are installed?

You can test the DIMM in slot B2 by removing all the other memory and just try to boot with that one DIMM. But first move that DIMM to a different slot, like A2. If it doesn't work, remove it and identify it somehow so it is not mixed up with the other DIMMs. Then try two DIMMs, one in A2 and B2. You need to test the B2 slot with another DIMM to make sure B2 is working correctly.

If you had a memory voltage problem, the PC wouldn't boot at all.

Sounds like you are using a Windows 7 installation from a different mother board? That can cause problems but a memory problem like you have would be not be caused by that.
                I get error 55 when i try to install the fourth DIMM, and yes the Win 7 install was from a different mobo, I'm just doing a data recovery, then I'm doing a fresh install. I will try these troubleshooting steps and reply as soon as I can in the next day, these are quick tips, shouldn't take long at all when I get home.

Comment

I get error 55 when i try to install the fourth DIMM, and yes the Win 7 install was from a different mobo, I'm just doing a data recovery, then I'm doing a fresh install. I will try these troubleshooting steps and reply as soon as I can in the next day, these are quick tips, shouldn't take long at all when I get home.
                  After marking the Dimm to not confuse it with the other 3, I test booted it by itself in all slots and continuously got error 55, even after re-seating. I tried using that Dimm with the other 3 in various slot configurations and would continually get error 55. So now it appears I've only got 3 of 4 or only 12gb of 16gb working. I purchased this memory from newegg but of course their 30day return policy has expired, I guess i'll try to call them....or I could call g.skill? Any suggestions at this point again are much appreciated.

Comment

I thought that was the problem. Even though you have one bad DIMM out of four, the good news is your board is not the problem, the fourth slot is not bad.

More good news is G.SKILL has a lifetime warranty on their products. They also have a forum right here at TweakTown:

G.Skill

A G.SKILL rep monitors that forum, just explain what happened and maybe add a link to this thread and ask what you should do. Or go to G.SKILL's website and start an RMA.

You may need to return the whole kit to them for a new one, but overall you'll get a new fully working kit.

Comment

I thought that was the problem. Even though you have one bad DIMM out of four, the good news is your board is not the problem, the fourth slot is not bad.

More good news is G.SKILL has a lifetime warranty on their products. They also have a forum right here at TweakTown:

G.Skill

A G.SKILL rep monitors that forum, just explain what happened and maybe add a link to this thread and ask what you should do. Or go to G.SKILL's website and start an RMA.

You may need to return the whole kit to them for a new one, but overall you'll get a new fully working kit.

Didn't know that about G.Skill. thanks for the info, I shall contact them I appreciate your help, this was a very easy fix.

Comment

Didn't know that about G.Skill. thanks for the info, I shall contact them I appreciate your help, this was a very easy fix.
                        I know its been a bit but thought I would update my RMA experience with G.Skill. Not much to say but "Excellent" I shipped my memory on a friday, G.Skill recieved it on that next Wed. and by Sat of that same week I had 4 working modules. Thats It! Thanks Guys

Jim

Comment

Glad to hear that the new memory fixed the problem and that G.Skill provided excellent service wth your RMA.

Thanks for the update.
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                          X