fatal1ty z68 professional gen3 splash loop after updating Bios 2.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fatal1ty z68 professional gen3 splash loop after updating Bios 2.20

So I recently decided to clean my computer and just do a fresh install of Windows 7. I've done this many times, with this same setup, always goes fine. I had installed Windows 7 64 bit installed onto a clean, formatted hdd and running, and was working on re-downloading/updating all the drivers. I decided that since I was doing this I might as well update the bios to the newest version (2.20), something I had not done before. I followed the instructions on Asrock's website to the T, and as far as I can tell the bios was flashed properly and is working.

However, since doing so I can no longer get passed the splash screen when booting up my computer. It shows the splash screen, then goes black for a second with an empty command line, and restarts back to the splash screen. I have found a couple threads online from people with the same or similar problem and have tried the following solutions to no avail:

- Removing MB Coin battery and unplug power cable for 15-20 minutes to reset the Bios
    - Remove everything that is plugged in except for keyboard, mouse, and monitor
    - Changed storage settings in the bios from IDE to AHCI and reinstall Windows

From what I can gather from reading around that it might be that it isn't seeing the hdd with windows 7 on it so it won't boot passed the splash, but I could be wrong. The best I can get out of it at this point is after I format the hdd and reinstall Windows 7, the computer will boot straight to the desktop, show it for a few seconds, taunting me, and then restart and get stuck in a loop again.

Currently the debug gets up to 62, which is "Installation of South Bridge Runtime Services," before restarting the loop, although last night it was only getting to A2 "IDE Detect" before restarting the loop.

So I am at the end of my admittedly limited knowledge for how to fix this sort of thing. I am hoping someone here might be able to help me solve this problem. The updated bios looks nice and all, but I'd like to be able to access the rest of my computer.

Thanks in advanced

Specs:

ASRock Z68 Professional Gen 3
    Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz
    G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8gb (2 x 4gb)
    Western Digital WD Black 1TB
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 680
    Lite-On Black SATA DVD-ROM drive model iHDS118-04 OEM
    Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W

Re: fatal1ty z68 professional gen3 splash loop after updating Bios 2.20

The question is, what UEFI/BIOS version was installed before you flashed to 2.20?

If you skipped version 2.10, that most likely explains your problem.

If that is the case, before you attempt to flash to 2.10, please read the main post in the following thread, since performing the 2.10 update correctly is imperative:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

The only thing you must do is described in this popup window that appears with a driver update link, instead of the BIOS update link:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SB to IVB bios update info.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	754734

The 2.10 BIOS update also lists driver updates that must be done with this BIOS.

BIOS 2.10 is unusual in that one part of the update is not contained in later BIOS versions, like 2.20. Yes that is not made clear in any of the instructions.

Comment

So I read through that thread, and it seems clear I made a mistake by updating the bios since I'm using a sandy bridge cpu.

I flashed the bios with 2.10, following the instructions and not removing the thumb drive. Everything seemed to install alright again, however the problem remains. I still get a loop, with debug stopping at A3. It mentions there are other drivers that need isntalled alongside 2.10, but since windows will not boot I can not get to them. I left the loop running since it says that the IME firmware update happens invisibly, and I wasn't sure how long that might take. There doesn't appear to be any change.

Thank you for the suggestion, would you have any other idea why it might be doing this, or am I stuck with a bios that just won't play nice with my cpu?

Comment

Well, an unfortunate update.

In the interest of removing variables I tried to boot my system with only 1 memory stick installed and I get a 55 "No memory installed" error now, regardless of which stick I use or which slot. Not sure if that might have been part of the problem with the loop issue, or just a new, separate problem to pile on to the last.

I purchased new ram to upgrade it on black friday, so there are at least replacements coming in the mail. So any further attempts to fix the loop I guess will have to wait until then.

Comment

uses my bios

INTEL 1155 - MDCLAB
          www.mdclab.it

Comment

Originally posted by asrlab View Post
            uses my bios

INTEL 1155 - MDCLAB
            Thanks for the suggestion, bit didn't work. ASRock's support pretty much says I'll need to buy a new bios chip, so I guess that's my next step. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Sorry that happened to you, yours is one of two incidents of this happening with boards like yours in the past month or so. In both cases the user skipped the SB to IVB "transition" BIOS version (2.10 for your board) and flashed to the next version beyond it, 2.20 for your board. Both cases resulted in the need to replace the BIOS chip.

IMO, given what information is available on the BIOS download pages, what you and others did is not an illogical action. How often is one BIOS update required before any of the newer versions may be used? For most boards, that never happens.

No where does it say in any of the minimal instructions that you must apply the SB to IVB BIOS update before using any newer BIOS version. All it states is after flashing the SB to IVB BIOS, only use newer BIOS versions. Considering only newer BIOS versions are officially listed, most people won't be able to do anything else.

All it would take is one sentence saying you must apply the SB to IVB BIOS before using the newer versions. Its been over two years since boards like yours have had the special BIOS update, with who knows how many owners having the problem you have, and yet the instructions have not changed.

I just don't get it...

Comment

Working...
              X