ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASRock Z97 Extreme6, Sleep Issues, and SMBus Controller

Yes it does work, my Z97 Extreme 6 PC just slept overnight, just like me.

The Intel network chip, when its driver is installed, has similar settings. Are those unchecked too?

I found another thing, a hardware monitoring program (HWiNFO) that I left running, caused the PC to wake immediately. Closed it and the PC stayed asleep. So yet another example of what can wake a PC.

While these things are simple once we figure them out, why do people always blame the board?

It could be said that if someone wants WOL to work, but they can't get the PC to Sleep for WOL to work, then they may have a point. Check the configuration of the network chip first! Or figure out what else is waking the PC.

Comment

Just think of all the money you're saving now when you're sleeping!

I will confirm the Intel settings when I get back home later.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Yes it does work, my Z97 Extreme 6 PC just slept overnight, just like me.

The Intel network chip, when its driver is installed, has similar settings. Are those unchecked too?

I found another thing, a hardware monitoring program (HWiNFO) that I left running, caused the PC to wake immediately. Closed it and the PC stayed asleep. So yet another example of what can wake a PC.

While these things are simple once we figure them out, why do people always blame the board?

It could be said that if someone wants WOL to work, but they can't get the PC to Sleep for WOL to work, then they may have a point. Check the configuration of the network chip first! Or figure out what else is waking the PC.

Comment

Yup Intel settings also the same. Does this mean something on my network is trying to wake up my machine?

Comment

I hope we are thinking about the same thing here, configuring the Realtek network chip to not cause the PC to wake from Sleep or a WOL signal.

In Device Manager for the Realtek chip:

[ATTACH]7484[/ATTACH]

There are also two or three option in the Advanced tab related to WOL, but unchecking Allow this device to wake the computer should stop all wake up events from working.

Just signed up to thank you for this post and let you know that this solved my problem with my ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac. Damn thing wouldn't sleep for more than 10-15 minutes before starting itself back up. I have never used WOL so I am fine just disabling this feature across the board for both NICs. I wonder what kind of data is being sent around my network that could possibly contain wake events, as I never configured any such thing on any device on my network.

Comment

Originally posted by nokster View Post
            Just signed up to thank you for this post and let you know that this solved my problem with my ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac. Damn thing wouldn't sleep for more than 10-15 minutes before starting itself back up. I have never used WOL so I am fine just disabling this feature across the board for both NICs. I wonder what kind of data is being sent around my network that could possibly contain wake events, as I never configured any such thing on any device on my network.
            Excellent... Glad it helped!

Comment

I hope we are thinking about the same thing here, configuring the Realtek network chip to not cause the PC to wake from Sleep or a WOL signal.

In Device Manager for the Realtek chip:

[ATTACH]7484[/ATTACH]

There are also two or three option in the Advanced tab related to WOL, but unchecking Allow this device to wake the computer should stop all wake up events from working.
              Glad this worked for you, but is should have worked for you.

Your question is the question that really matters, and is what I am wondering about too. While networking can be a bit of a black art, I'm sure it is simple if we understood more of the details.

You mentioned your network, would you describe it to us? I have a router from my ISP, the main entry point of my internet connection. From there I have a wired connection to a simple unmanaged network switch with multiple ports, connected from there to four PCs. All those PCs are not on all the time, usually two at once will be on. I also have both network chips on my Z97 Extreme 6 connected to the network switch.

In Windows, the PCs are configured as using a private network. I have WOL disabled, but normally that is used to wake a PC via remote access. One thing I haven't tried is checking the Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer, which is a sub-option of allowing the network chips to wake the PC.

Otherwise, it is normal AFAIK for PCs on a network (that are on of course) to send a packet between them whose purpose is just to check, "I'm here, how about you", or "Any work to do, I'm available". That packet may have the same status as a magic packet in the sense it will wake the PC. My ignorance of this situation may be overlooking what is obvious to someone that is more networking savvy.

It could also simply be my network switch detecting no connection with the PC that went into Sleep mode, which then attempts to connect to it, and that wakes the PC, given we don't have the network chip configured to ignore the attempt. Which is why I am curious about your network.

Comment

Glad this worked for you, but is should have worked for you.

Your question is the question that really matters, and is what I am wondering about too. While networking can be a bit of a black art, I'm sure it is simple if we understood more of the details.

You mentioned your network, would you describe it to us? I have a router from my ISP, the main entry point of my internet connection. From there I have a wired connection to a simple unmanaged network switch with multiple ports, connected from there to four PCs. All those PCs are not on all the time, usually two at once will be on. I also have both network chips on my Z97 Extreme 6 connected to the network switch.

In Windows, the PCs are configured as using a private network. I have WOL disabled, but normally that is used to wake a PC via remote access. One thing I haven't tried is checking the Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer, which is a sub-option of allowing the network chips to wake the PC.

Otherwise, it is normal AFAIK for PCs on a network (that are on of course) to send a packet between them whose purpose is just to check, "I'm here, how about you", or "Any work to do, I'm available". That packet may have the same status as a magic packet in the sense it will wake the PC. My ignorance of this situation may be overlooking what is obvious to someone that is more networking savvy.

It could also simply be my network switch detecting no connection with the PC that went into Sleep mode, which then attempts to connect to it, and that wakes the PC, given we don't have the network chip configured to ignore the attempt. Which is why I am curious about your network.
                I'm plugged directly into a TWC-provided router, along with a network printer, my receiver for my home theater, and an Ooma phone system. My laptop and my cell phone connect on a protected wifi connection, part-time. Really not sure about which of these devices could be generating a wake packet.

Comment

I run a number of Macs in the house - one of them w/ Plex... I wonder if the media server is looking for other media?

Comment

I'm plugged directly into a TWC-provided router, along with a network printer, my receiver for my home theater, and an Ooma phone system. My laptop and my cell phone connect on a protected wifi connection, part-time. Really not sure about which of these devices could be generating a wake packet.
                    There is more to it than simply waking up from a wake packet, as in what qualifies as a wake packet.

A basic network card I use has options for Wake on Link Settings, Wake on Pattern Match, Wake on Magic Packet. There is also waking on a PME, Power Management Event, that can be enabled or disabled.

I get the feeling that options like these are mostly enabled by default, so various WOL type events work without any configuration by the user, since most people don't understand them or how to use them. But then their side affects like S3 Sleep being interrupted leave us wondering what is happening.

Comment

Working...
                    X