Asrock Z97 extreme 9 sli weird temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z97 extreme 9 sli weird temps

So i have this board for some time and i love it. i just have some weird issues with temps of my graphic cards and kinda run out of ideas what it could be. now before i go into problem i just wana make clear that i know that SLI systems run hotter than single gpu and i dont expect them to run same cold as single gpu.
    Also all components work on default clocks. (no overclocks)
    To the problem: 2x Nvidia Asus GTX 780 DirectCu II OC
    I used both graphics separately for quite some time and its nearly impossible to get them over 70C even after 4-5 hours or heavy gaming. usually they settle around 67-68C.
    Also before people start to post that i missed forum i used same setup on old motherboard/cpu and temps were much lower, issues appeared after i changed motherboard/cpu. (so i suppose it could be something with motherboard...)
    Old setup was :
    asrock p67 extreme 4
    i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz (H100i)
    gpu1 max temp was about 70-72C
    gpu1 max temp was about 69-71C

New setup is:
    asrock Z97 extreme 9
    i7 4790k @ 4.4 default boost (H100i in push-pull setup)
    gpu1 max temp goes to 84-85C
    gpu1 max temp goes to 83-85C

What i tried so far:
    i tried to play with drivers both gpu drivers and mbo drivers (newer, older...etc.)
    tried to switch places with graphic cards (no big changes)
    tested each individually to make sure both work properly.
    reinstalled windows (fresh mbo drivers and gpu drivers and no bigger changes)

case is Corsair Obsidian 700D (without hard drive bays so front 2 fans blow cold air directly toward gpu-s, cable managment is also sorted)
    memory corsair vengence 1600 mhz cl9 (not important but just in case)
    power supply is Seasonic SS-1000XP so power should be no problem
    disks are: system disk OCZ vertex 3 120 gb ssd sata, disk 2 samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd sata and disk 3 western digital 1tb black sata
    windows is 8.1 pro (updated till last update)

Now while everyone would point on graphic cards i think its something with mbo but cant figure out what. kinda only thing which was biggest change from old setup and such big change in temperature (more than 10C)
    Airflow is great, graphics are put in pcie slot 1 and 4 (as described in manual to get 16x/16x) so they are spaced and have good flow between
    I haven't tried to update bios yet but thats next on list.
    Does anyone have any similar issues while using SLI, could any new mbo features like fast lanes cause higher temps?
    Is there any bios setting which could effect temp of gpus (pci-e frequency is set to default)
    Any other idea is appreciated and i hope i didnt miss forum. (somehow sure its something related to mbo)

Re: Asrock Z97 extreme 9 sli weird temps

It sounds like you simply removed your P67 board and processor from the 700D case, and replaced it with the Z97 board and processor, and new memory too.

But beyond that, you did not do anything else with the PC's configuration, such as change the H100i from intake to exhaust, move it to a different location, or remove or change any case fans, is that right?

Your old board and CPU ran your video cards at PCIe 2.0 x8.

Your new board and CPU run your video cards at PCIe 3.0 x16. I have no idea if Plex chips add some kind of stress on video cards.

You mentioned you tested each card individually. When using a single card with the Z97 board, what was its temperature? Do you recall a single card's temperature when using the P67 board?

Are the idle temperatures of the video cards the same or different with the new board and CPU?

Given the new Windows and driver installation for the Z97 board, are the video card fans configured in the same way? Did you check their fan speeds in comparison to the other board?

Do you have any of the case fans connected to the mother board? I'm sure the fan speed control is better but more complex on the Z97 board. My point is if the case fans are operating at the same speed as they were with the P67 board.

How would you compare the CPU temperatures of the 2500K to the 4790K? I'm sure the 4790K runs warmer than the 2500K did. If you are using the H100i mounted at the top of the PC case, in intake mode, pulling air in across the radiator from outside the PC case (which is better for CPU temps), then it's possible that the warm air from the radiator is higher in temperature than when you used the 2500K. That warm air is then used to cool the video cards, so they are operating in a higher ambient temperature inside the case than the 2500K caused from its heat output. That will raise their temperature, and when gaming with the CPU under more load, it will pump more heated air into the case.

The Windows Power Plan you use might have the Link State Power Management set to a different setting.

I can't think of a BIOS setting that would cause the increase in temperature of the video cards. But all boards don't have identical BIOS options, your board may have special options for the Plex chips for example. You could try setting the speed of the PCIe slots to Gen2, PCIe 2.0, and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z97 extreme 9 sli weird temps

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      It sounds like you simply removed your P67 board and processor from the 700D case, and replaced it with the Z97 board and processor, and new memory too.

But beyond that, you did not do anything else with the PC's configuration, such as change the H100i from intake to exhaust, move it to a different location, or remove or change any case fans, is that right?

Your old board and CPU ran your video cards at PCIe 2.0 x8.

Your new board and CPU run your video cards at PCIe 3.0 x16. I have no idea if Plex chips add some kind of stress on video cards.

You mentioned you tested each card individually. When using a single card with the Z97 board, what was its temperature? Do you recall a single card's temperature when using the P67 board?

Are the idle temperatures of the video cards the same or different with the new board and CPU?

Given the new Windows and driver installation for the Z97 board, are the video card fans configured in the same way? Did you check their fan speeds in comparison to the other board?

Do you have any of the case fans connected to the mother board? I'm sure the fan speed control is better but more complex on the Z97 board. My point is if the case fans are operating at the same speed as they were with the P67 board.

How would you compare the CPU temperatures of the 2500K to the 4790K? I'm sure the 4790K runs warmer than the 2500K did. If you are using the H100i mounted at the top of the PC case, in intake mode, pulling air in across the radiator from outside the PC case (which is better for CPU temps), then it's possible that the warm air from the radiator is higher in temperature than when you used the 2500K. That warm air is then used to cool the video cards, so they are operating in a higher ambient temperature inside the case than the 2500K caused from its heat output. That will raise their temperature, and when gaming with the CPU under more load, it will pump more heated air into the case.

The Windows Power Plan you use might have the Link State Power Management set to a different setting.

I can't think of a BIOS setting that would cause the increase in temperature of the video cards. But all boards don't have identical BIOS options, your board may have special options for the Plex chips for example. You could try setting the speed of the PCIe slots to Gen2, PCIe 2.0, and see if that makes a difference.
      I had Cooler Master 690 III case before this one, only 2 fans on h100i and Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W PSU with single gpu (load temps were around 67-70 during summer). I replaced case with Corsair Obsidian 750D (wrote wrong model in first post) and sorted out better airflow which dropped down temps to about 65-68 max in load.
      Later on i replaced power supply and temps were more or less same for single gpu.Added second gpu and temp seemd fine (first card was about 70-72C max and second card about 69-71C max) . I got Z97 mbo i7 cpu and 2 more fans for push pull combo on h100i. At first i played for few days with each card to make sure both work fine and both didn't go over 65-68C in load individually.
      When I put both cards at first they were around 80ish but they keep going all the way to 85C which seems to much.
      My case is something like this (link) just imagine on top h100i with 4 fans in push pull combo,in front i have two 140mm fans which came with case @1100 rpm ( ordered today two noctua NF-A14-FLX case fans to replace them), on back side i have CM SP120 performance fan @1300 rpm and also added one on bottom of case today also CM SP120 performance @1300 rpm. and seems i manged to drop down temps to max 80C with adding bottom fan, also hope adding 2 noctua fans in front will help bit more since these case fans which came with case are not best solution...
      Temps are more or less great when using single gpu and were more or less same with old case, old mbo and new case and new mbo. they dropped for like 1-2 due to more spacious case and better airflow.
      Idle temps for single gpu is about 28-33C for single gpu. for SLI top card is about 32-37C and bottom is about 29-34C. Kinda expected for SLI to have bit higher temps.
      Cards are configured same like on old system and have no issues with them except bit higher temps
      All case fans are connected to front panel Scythe Kaze Master II and are controlled manually (tested with diffrent speeds)
      My old i5 2500k was oc'd to 4.4 ghz and it run around 70ishC in load during summer. New i7 4790k can't seems to go over 67C while on 4.4ghz with turbo boost. Without turbo boost @4ghz I cant make him go over 50C even after 10ish hours of gaming. Most time i use turbo boost so its normally about 65C. love new board and cpu.
      Difference is that old cpu had only 2 fans on H100i while new cpu have 4 fans in push pull combo. Dont know would it affect much with same on i5. To be honest i expected i7 to be much more harder to cool down. H100i is set to blow air out of case so it doesnt make air in case more hot. two front fans and one bottom fan should be enough cold air.

Link State Power Management is set to off.

So at this moment i managed to get drop to 80C with adding one fan to bottom. next week when noctua fans come i hope i can get few more C down. would be happy to get card to work at about 77-78C max in load.

Comment

Working...
      X