Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't use the PCI and PCIE slots at the same time--How do I resolve a Code 12 resource conflict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't use the PCI and PCIE slots at the same time--How do I resolve a Code 12 resource conflict?

I have a new HTPC build using an ASROCK Q1900M Pro 3. This is the MBO with the embedded Intel Quad-Core Celeron Processor J1900 with integrated graphics. It also has only two sata inputs, so I have a Silicon Image (SIL3512) SATA PCI card to enable me to add a 2 TB hard drive along with a DVD and SSD. I also have a Hauppage TV card that runs in the PCIE slot. The problem is, I can't get both the SATA card and the TV Tuner card to work at the same time. I was able to maybe narrow this down after some reading, re-installing Windows 7x64 and starting from scratch this is the sequence I have tried do far:

1. Install windows 7x64
    2. Insert the SATA PCI card first, before any other drivers, and then install the SATA card driver. Result: The SATA card works and the SATA card shows up in the Device Manager. The 2 TB HD works fine.
    3. Install the PCIE TV Tuner card. Result: The SATA card is dropped and no seen in the device manager, and there is an error code in device manager for the PCI saying "this device cannot find enough free resources it can use (Code 12)"
    4. Uninsert the PCIE TV Tuner card. The SATA card shows back up. Install the chipset drivers. The SATA card is still visible and working. Then reinsert the tuner card, and the SATA gets dropped again.

I had read it could be a problem with the chipset drivers, but it doesn't seem to matter, it seems to be a resource assignment issue. I had also read to install the SATA card first, but that's not it. The code 12 issue is supposed to be that: "Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel. The assignment was made by either the basic input/output system (BIOS), the operating system, or a combination of the two."

Also, before I tried the steps above, I had windows set up and all of the drivers installed, and I first tried to solve the problem by updated to the latest BIOS, but that didn't help. Before I do that again, any ideas on what is going on here and how I can fix it? I need for these slots to work. Perhaps I need to upgrade the BIOS first immediately after a clean windows install, and see if that helps.
    I am stumped and this is getting out of my depth. Any ideas out there?

Re: Can't use the PCI and PCIE slots at the same time--How do I resolve a Code 12 resource conflict?

The explanation of error code 12 you found can be used to take the next step to find out which one of those three possible resource clashes, and hopefully not more.

With both cards installed, regardless of the error in Device Manager, in Windows start a CMD window and run msinfo32.

You should get a large window titled System Summary. The Hardware Resources section at the top of the tree on the left side of the display is your main stop. When you see the categories, you'll know where to look.

Also, open up Components, and find Problem Devices for possibly more insight into this issue. Once you discover (hopefully) what the problem is, we can move on from there.

One thing to keep in mind, is the processor on this board contains components usually placed in the chipset on standard desktop boards. The processor is also smaller and supplies fewer resources. Thus the overall resource pool is relatively small. For example, this processor supplies only four PCIe 2.0 lanes, and does not have separate PCI lane support.

Comment

Re: Can't use the PCI and PCIE slots at the same time--How do I resolve a Code 12 resource conflict?

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      The explanation of error code 12 you found can be used to take the next step to find out which one of those three possible resource clashes, and hopefully not more.

With both cards installed, regardless of the error in Device Manager, in Windows start a CMD window and run msinfo32.

You should get a large window titled System Summary. The Hardware Resources section at the top of the tree on the left side of the display is your main stop. When you see the categories, you'll know where to look.

Also, open up Components, and find Problem Devices for possibly more insight into this issue. Once you discover (hopefully) what the problem is, we can move on from there.

One thing to keep in mind, is the processor on this board contains components usually placed in the chipset on standard desktop boards. The processor is also smaller and supplies fewer resources. Thus the overall resource pool is relatively small. For example, this processor supplies only four PCIe 2.0 lanes, and does not have separate PCI lane support.

Thank you Parsec for the help. The problem device listed was one of the N / J series PCI express Root Port 3. Something "happened" that fixed the sharing issue -- I inserted both the Sata PCI card and the tuner PCIE card again, and also a video card (nvidia 610) in the PCI 2.0x16 slot. The video card seemed to take over the shared root 3 port, having the affect of dropping the Sata card from the devices, again. Then, I couldn't say for certain why but when I removed the video card, the remaining two cards are both recognized again and the sharing issue is gone. This was pretty much dumb luck but I guess it sort of resolved itself. Perhaps things were reordered. I can't make the video card work in addition to the other two cards, but I should be okay with the on-board graphics. The BIOS does have a memory sharing feature that allows me to dedicated up to 512 MB of ram to graphics, so that should help. Before I changed that BIOS setting, when I opened up media center for the first time, a warning popped up that my graphics "card" had less than 64 megs of memory, or some such number, warning me that playback might have issues. I'm confident that it will be fine with the onboard graphics, especially with some memory sharing.

I keep thinking these micro cards are the best way to go, but it seems like they are just still a little flaky. This build is for my dad and he really wanted a low power solution and will not be taxing its capabilities too much. some streaming and recording, that's about it. I have two HTPC's in my house using the Asus AMD E45 and E35 M pros, those have worked well but their slots are also flaky. Their gpu's handled everything I threw at them, until I got HBO Go. That site does not stream well, so I added these 610 graphics cards and that fixed the HBO streaming issue. Thanks again.

Comment

Nothing like fixing something accidentally... on purpose, I like to call that.

Without seeing the msinfo32 display (no need to post it), either the resource or interrupt allocation was changed when you added the video card. By luck the video card and tuner card did not have a resource clash. When the video card was removed, its resources could be allocated to the SATA card, or at least some of them. That's the best explanation I've got for now...

Comment

Working...
        X