ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac won't boot

I am a novice in PC building. I purchased an ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac motherboard, Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L-1600 CL9 UDIMM Sport VLP, Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz CPU, a 240GB Sandisk SSD, Corsair CS650M Power supply and Lian Li Q25B mini ITX. For video, I have a HDMI connected from the HDMI out of the motherboard to a Samsung 1080P monitor.

When I start up the machine the fans start and that's it, no video output, no beeps, nothing. Any ideas? Incompatible memory?

Thanks,
    Doug

Re: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac won't boot

Might be the memory, but do you have the four or eight pin CPU power cable connected to the board? It is labeled ATX12V1, and is just below the blue heatsink to the left of the CPU socket.

Both the 24 pin and the four or eight pin power cables must be connected or the CPU won't run. Your PSU should have this cable. Be certain it is not a PCIe power cable, they may look similar but are not compatible.

Comment

It could be the memory. My board would not boot with the highly regarded Samsung wonder ram MV-3V4G3D/US. One stick would work, but not with two. It works fine with the GSkill in my sig, even though it is not on the qualified list. Try it with one stick.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisher View Post
        It could be the memory. My board would not boot with the highly regarded Samsung wonder ram MV-3V4G3D/US. One stick would work, but not with two. It works fine with the GSkill in my sig, even though it is not on the qualified list. Try it with one stick.
        Really, that is unusual. I use that Samsung memory in two ASRock Z87 boards, and one Z97 board. One board has 8GB, the others 16GB.

One difference I see is I don't have an i7-4790K in any of those PCs. I would be surprised if the memory controller of the i7-4790K was different than other Haswell processors.

Comment

Working...
        X