Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z75 Pro3 UEFI\BIOS Unable to detect >3TB Multiple Drives

Hello,

First off, Thanks for taking the time to read through my issue.

Recently purchased a new asrock motherboard (z75 Pro3) for an older i5 2500k, installed Windows 8.1 on SSD as boot drive (Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SV300S37A/240G). However in Disk Management only the SSD and the 1TB Seagate Data drive are visible. Installed the 3TB+ Unlocked Utility, rebooted, BIOS still can't see the two larger SATA drives. 3TB is MBR with old OS on it, 4TB GPT partitioned Storage Drive. Swapped Power Supplies, Sata cables, Sata power cables. Even took the Sata cables from the SSD I know that work (hence the Windows install) and tried them on the 3 & 4 TB and still not detected by UEFI\BIOS. Verified that the 3TB+ Utility Driver installed under Device manager as well as the Intel Connect Driver\software. Attempted to INSTANT Flash BIOS even though it's already on the latest 2.0 UEFI software. Attempted Diskpart but it doesn't see the drives in order to even start. There is Data on both the drives, previous OS and Media (4TB)

Hard Drives:
    Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SV300S37A/240G) Windows 8.1 Installed Boot Drive

Seagate 1 TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003) Storage Drive

Hard Drives in Question:
    Seagate 3 TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 - MBR containing Old OS and some Data (Not attempting to boot from this, just need to get to the data)

HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 4TB 7200RPM SATA III 64 - GPT Partitioned, Media Storage drive (purchased 1/15/15)

I have an external USB 3.0 enclosure coming in on Saturday to verify if either Hard drive in question will work and verified the enclosure can handle 3TB+ drives (bought one previous that apparently can't) Which is another possibility as I purchased this Insignia 3.5" Serial ATA Hard Drive Enclosure NS-PCHD335 - Best Buy
    and tried each hard drive in question, both were undetectable in the enclosure while the 1 TB was accessible. Any insight or where to troubleshoot next would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again.

Re: z75 Pro3 UEFI\BIOS Unable to detect >3TB Multiple Drives

All 64 bit versions of windows can handle drives bigger than 2 TB natively, so no need for the 3TB+ Unlocker Utility. But they must be GPT partitioned, not MBR. Because MBR can only handle sizes up to 2 TB. But nevertheless this 3TB+ HDs should show up in Disk Management. On which mobo and chip set are these HDs partitioned and filled with data?
    Last edited by SandsOfTime; 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

The Hard drives in Questions were Partitioned on my previous Gigabyte P67 motherboard that decided to meet it's maker after 4 years of service with the same i5 2500k CPU that is installed in the new AsRock z75 Pro. The 3TB MBR drive was partitioned 2.2TB & 768 gigs on the old board. The 4TB was partitioned as gpt and only used as a Data\Media storage drive. I know the Utility is only for 32 bit Operating Systems but you get desperate sometimes and start throwing possible solutions at it. Like most people here, I've built many systems over the years and work in IT. This is just a head scratcher for me. I ordered a new HGST 4TB drive (same model) that will be here tomorrow. That will be the tell tale sign of the root of the issue. ie the first 4TB Drive itself that can't be seen or something on the Motherboard that's keeping it from seeing any larger sata drive. Would hate to lose the Data on the 4TB drive. Thanks.

Comment

If this HD was initialized on a Gigabyte mobo, then maybe the 3TB+ Unlocker tool from Gigabyte will help: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...3tb_unlock.exe, but uninstall the ASRock 3TB+ tool before.
        ---
        Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

I will give it a shot when I get home. I will uninstall the Asrock 3TB+ Utility, Reboot, try to install the suggested Gigabyte Utility, Reboot and then go from there.

Seeing it's a fresh Windows install (which takes only 5 minutes to install) I was thinking of trying to load Ubuntu and see if it can at leas see my GPT hard drive so I may recover the media from it.

I'll report back this evening. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X