• Show
Clear All

• New Build: Z97 Extreme3 won't start

MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 : Part No: 90-MXGU90-AOUAYZ
    CPU: Intel i5-4440 3.1GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150
    RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 2x8GB F3-1600C11D-16GNT
    PS: FSP 750W Raider PPA7501400
    GCard: Gigabyte RADEON R7 260X 2048MB GDDR5 OC Version

Put it all together plugged it in, every fan turns on but the graphics card fans. Also, a single light blinks on the keyboard.

No video from VGA, DVI, or HDMI on MOBO or the video card.

I tried different sequences of RAM configuration, 1/3, 2/4, 1, 3.
    I completely removed the video card and reset the CMOS.
    Still didn't work.

I took it all apart including the CPU. Put it back together.
    Each time I have plugged in the CPU power and MOBO power and they are seated fine.
    The RAM is seated perfectly.
    Still didn't work.

I took out the power supply and tried a 600W OCZ ModX Stream-pro from my working computer.
    I also replaced the RAM with 2x G.Skill Ripsawz F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL DDR-1333 PC3-1066 4GB from my working computer.

Still no luck, all the fans turn on, but no video.
    The only thing I can think of is the MOBO is DOA, which is why I'm posting here.
    When I screwed it into the frame I used every screw hole and I did not over-tighten the screws.

Edit: SOLVED
    I took it all apart again and this time I didn't bother screwing it into the frame. It turned on and booted to BIOS fine. Apparently you can't screw this in hardly at all. I barely got the screws in and am leaving it at that.
    Last edited by charcoalTime; 02-07-2015, 01:43 PM. Reason: Solved

Re: New Build: Z97 Extreme3 won't start

Solved but not really fixed.

It sounds like when you screw down the board, there is a short circuit between the case and something on the board. Since your video card did not work, the short may be with some pins on the PCIe slot the video card was in, or possibly another.

Sometimes the mother board tray in a case is not flat, and has high and low areas. I've had cases that worried me as they were built like that. I put electrical tape on the high areas of the mother board trays. May have done nothing, but good insurance.

Comment

Are you sure the standoffs are correctly aligned?

I just put an Z97 Extreme4 MB in a case that previously had an Z77 Extreme4. The new MB is quite a bit wider and needed the case standoffs moved out. One location needed a taller standoff to avoid pushing down on the MB. If they are not perfectly aligned and stress free you will have risk of the shorts parsec mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
        Are you sure the standoffs are correctly aligned?

I just put an Z97 Extreme4 MB in a case that previously had an Z77 Extreme4. The new MB is quite a bit wider and needed the case standoffs moved out. One location needed a taller standoff to avoid pushing down on the MB. If they are not perfectly aligned and stress free you will have risk of the shorts parsec mentions.
        This is a good point. No mention in the OP if the PC case was reused, which is common. Or even if a new case, with standoffs inserted to match a certain sized board, some boards that seem to be ATX actually aren't.

Your example of the Z77 Extreme4 is a perfect one, I have that board too. It is shy of the full ATX size in width, and the three screw holes on the far right side of the board don't exist due to the smaller size.

The Z97 Extreme3 is another example of this demi-ATX sized board. ASRock > Z97 Extreme3

Note that it does not have three screw holes for each set, going from left to right, at the top, middle, and bottom of the board. Like the Z77 Extreme4, on the far right side it has two holes at the very top and bottom right side edge that do not align with any standard standoff mounting point on the mobo tray of a case. You can insert a plastic mobo support peg/standoff in those two holes for added support.

I forgot the OP had a memory problem too. The DIMM slots are right in the area on the board that does not have the greatest support due to the board's size. So IMO, both of our theories add up to the OP's problem.

Comment

Working...
        X