Z97X Killer/G3258?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z97X Killer/G3258?

I tried Chicago Micro Center one time and decided the Westmont was a far better alternative. It was but still a challenge. I'm convinced my G3258 just won't hunt over 4GHz at any reasonable voltage. I finally plugged Override CPU Voltage @ 1.30V and it would run @ 4.2GHz - Attached Screen Dump. However, it would not run @ 4.3GHz @ 1.31V. I wonder if the Z97 Extreme6 versus the Z97X Killer MB has something to do with my problem? The BIOS in the Killer MB keeps changing things like LLC and CPU Input Voltage. On the Killer MB LLC is either Enable or Disabled versus the Level 1-5 on the Extreme6 MB. Of course, crashing the system makes strange things happen - I was lucky with the Extreme6/4790K - it just wanted to run at 4.6GHz and I was happy. But...4.4 or 4.0-4.6Ghz is a small jump ~14% compared to 3.2 to 4.0GHz or ~25%. I suppose I can play the the 4.0GHz settings and reduce the Vcore a little bit but Adaptive Mode with a voltage of 1.120V and an override of +0.100V is pretty close to what you suggested...I think.
    Attached Files

Comment

I can't say with absolute certainty that the Z97X Killer board's UEFI options and settings are limiting your G3258's OC ability, but I really doubt it.

The LLC on Haswell boards controls the CPU Input voltage only, not the VCore, which is controlled by the internal voltage regulators of Haswell processors. I can see your CPU input voltage is not low, at 1.936V it is more than I use.

Keep an eye on your VCore in HWiNFO, I see it goes up to 1.328V.

I've noticed on my Z97 Extreme6 board that once any automatic UEFI option settings are applied, the only way to clear them out completely is to click the "Load UEFI Defaults" option in the Exit screen. After that I start over setting the options as I want them to be.

My "bad" G3258 is not being used now, and my good one is basically freaking me out about how well it works.

OTOH, at 4.5GHz, I'm getting 32.6 GFLOPs, compared to 29.1 at 4.0GHz, about a 10% increase. You're at about 31.1 at 4.0GHz, so I would not worry about getting to 4.5GHz, that is just a number compared to the actual GFLOPs performance.

Comment

Small correction:
        ~29.6 GFlops @ 4.0GHz - Vcore Max @ 1.256V
        ~31.0 GFlops @4.2GHz - Vcore Max @ 1.328V!!
        I'm sure I could tweak both of these Vcores but not by much. It want to run @ 4.0GHz!

Comment

Ok, those GFLOPs numbers are identical to mine now, I was wondering why yours earlier numbers were higher...

Well, 4.0GHz at 1.256V max is not bad. I know you wish you could do better with the voltage, but the processor is the limiting factor. A G3258 does not use much power, so the board's voltage regulators are not stressed at all. With a decent cooler they run cool, even at 4.5GHz, mine hits 60C in IBT. So temperature is not a problem.

An OC of 4.5GHz on a G3258 is a 40% OC, and 4.0GHz is is 25% OC. Going by the non-Turbo base clock as we must with a G3258, consider an i7-4790K's base clock of 4.0GHz. A 25% OC would be 5GHz. How many 4790K owners get to 5GHz?

My good G3258's voltage difference between 4.0GHz and 4.5GHz is a bit under 0.20V (I was able to reduce the voltage at 4.5GHz a tiny bit from the screenshots above.) So yours would probably be near 1.4V for 4.5GHz, which is not worth it IMO for the extra 1GFLOP in IBT. I can pass IBT, 4.0GHz @ 1.08V, which is great.

Comment

Working...
          X