Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock 970 Extreme4 strange throttling

Firstly, I'm sorry for my english, I'm Spanish

This board have got throttling, and this throttling is very strange. I have got two examples:

I Start windows and run IntelBurnTest in stress level maxium 10 times 1.2 hours and nothing happens, no sign of throttling

I Start Windows and whait 25 minutes, I Start IntelBurnTest in stress level maxium: extreme throttling all the time

Haven't got throttling in the CPU whit stress level in Very Hight, No throttling whit stress level in Custom 6144, only throttling when I use the Maxium memory that it have got.

The temps are very good, 26c mainboard 44c CPUInt 32c Package.

I think that the problem is because the bios need a new update

I wait for a answer Thank you!
    Last edited by Kenny_Killer666; 03-12-2015, 03:30 PM.

Re: Asrock 970 Extreme4 strange throttling

Write more about your system configuration, and hope somebody can help.

Comment

My Computer:

Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme4
      Motherboard BIOS version: 2.60
      Processor: AMD FX 8350
      Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 2x4GB
      Video Card #1: XFX 7870 XT
      Case: Zalman Z9 U3
      Cooler: Zalman 9900MAX
      Power Supply NOX 850 NX Series
      Operating System Windows 8.1
      Last edited by Kenny_Killer666; 03-12-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Your hardware specification looks good; But now, at first step, you should make isolation between hardware and software defects.
        For doing so, simply, prepare a diagnostic tool which is self-bootable either on a usb flash or an optical disk (cd/dvd).
        For example, see this project (has both cd and flash version):

After you made relaxed about the hardware, you start to investigate your Windows OS, its configuration (e.g. power options), suspicious interfering software (e.g. antivirus), and etc.
        My guess is that one of your hardware components doesn't wake up properly after sleep.

Comment

Comment

Throttling problems with AMD boards when using high power usage processors like an 8350 are usually caused by the CPU voltage regulators (VRMs) over heating.

Your board's VRM design is a 4 + 1 Power Phase Design, which is not very strong. ASRock includes this in your board's processor compatibility list for the FX 8350:

For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

This really means air movement over the VRM heat sink, to the left of the CPU socket, is needed to keep it cool.

It is strange that you do not get throttling when you run the CPU stress test right after booting the PC, but only after waiting 25 minutes. But using all your memory in IBT is the highest stress level possible. It may take longer for the VRMs to get hot, and after 25 minutes the cooling in your PC case cannot cool the VRMs enough.

How much memory are you using, and what CPU cooler are you using?

Comment

Memtest86+ (included in UBCD) tests total of memory (not restricted to 4GB). Its test also is a good proof of CPU/Chipset sanity. So, most incompatible hardware is shown in this test, many computers show errors when they are cool, while some show errors when they become warm (and many machines, always). Use it for at least two pass and see.
              The only thing which is not tested by Memtest86 is IO problems, specifically problems caused by your hard disk(s). That CD has various manufacturer utilities for diagnosing hard disks.
              Other CPU diagnostic tools are run on any x86/x64 systems and do not need the system to be x86 only! Because AMD64 architecture includes all 32bit as well as old 16bit CPU codes.

Comment

Bios is most effective in computer start (before OS startup) and hardware detection. A bad bios should usually have one of these symptoms: memory incompatibility, lack of hardware detection, or power saving issues.
                Heating/Cooling investigation (as "parsec" said) is in hardware phase and should be considered first. After that, you can open windows task manager in conjunction with your test to see if other process is using the CPU. A burn-in test should take above 98% of CPU as usual.

Comment

Working...
                X