GA_MA78GM-S2H keeps rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA_MA78GM-S2H keeps rebooting

Just finished upgrade which included adding a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mother board, 4 sticks of GSkill 1GB RAM, AMD 5000+ Black box cpu,
    <script type="text/javascript">document.write(neg_specification_newli ne('RCX-Z3'));</script>Rosewill RCX-Z3 CPU cooler. This is all in a four year old Xaser Thermaltake Case from the original build. Power is a 450 Watt Enermax. I had no problems with original build but just wanted some thing newer and faster so opted for the upgrade components. The integrated video is pretty weak by Vista standards but rest seems very good.

I was delighted it booted up right away and loaded Windows OK and booted up fine. This was first time I did any upgrade since I built system four years ago which was my only such experience. I needed help to get original build working since it had a loose connection and wouldn't boot up.

I upgraded a couple Drivers since I loaded Vista which were recommended on Gigabyte site. Bios was latest version.

But it keeps rebooting frequently which worries me. I thought at first it was due to need to restart from some updating and finishing installation process. But now I am wondering if I got a bad part or set something up wrong.

Any advice on how to trouble shoot this problem or things to check that might cause this problem. So far I am running it with case cover off and also plan to add a SATA DVD soon.

Re: GA_MA78GM-S2H keeps rebooting

If all the setttings in the BIOS are still on auto, you need to go in and set them and change some. With 4 sticks of RAM you need to up the RAM voltage (default is 1.8, goto what your ram is rated for) and probably the MCH +.1V too. Download and run Memtest86+ Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool to test your RAM.
    Take care,
    Rick
    GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Originally posted by HemiRick View Post
      If all the setttings in the BIOS are still on auto, you need to go in and set them and change some. With 4 sticks of RAM you need to up the RAM voltage (default is 1.8, goto what your ram is rated for) and probably the MCH +.1V too. Download and run Memtest86+ Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool to test your RAM.
      Thanks for the hint. I haven't changed any thing from bios default settings. My GSkill RAM is rated to run at 1.8-2.0. Many users report good performance at 1.8 Volt settings. I have a System Suite i will install and run the memory test on the RAM and other PC Diagnostics too.

I checked for updates on all device drivers and Windows reports all are current. I did adjust Video to prefered settings for my HP monitor. It raised the Vista rating consideerably. The computer has been running several hours now and hasn't rebooted in last half hour so maybe it was a temporary problem (I hope).
      Last edited by pegazuz; 04-29-2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Yeap, it is likely just some simple settings need adjusted, let us know if the above helped and if you need further help. I dont know much about AMD but I can help you with your memory timings, but you will need someone else to help possibly with your CPU voltages and such

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Yeap, it is likely just some simple settings need adjusted, let us know if the above helped and if you need further help. I dont know much about AMD but I can help you with your memory timings, but you will need someone else to help possibly with your CPU voltages and such
          Once I get everything installed and working, I will try push some of the settings for more performance. The CPU, RAM, motherboard video all are supposed to have good potential for over clocking. I am concerned about the over heating I read about in the Northbridge by some users but after several hours of running non stop mine is still very cool to touch. Of course it is running in an open case with no load at present.

Thanks for offer of help.

Comment

Yeap feel free to do so. And even if you are not overclocking it is best to put things on Manual in the BIOS. Everything, auto is not best and often is too much or not enough of something.

Comment

Working...
            X