Three week experiment with Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three week experiment with Vista

After completing the build you see in my signature block, my buddy talked me into trying Vista Enterprise 32 bit and the fun began. For several days, it ran great and I thought "this Vista is great." But then the reboots began and the BSODs for any number of reasons. I finally broke down and took the machine to the local expert. After he set the machine up on the bench and booted it, I told him "it'll reboot any time now." Well, two hours later, it is solid as a rock, so he says "take it home and see what happens. I take it home and it boots fine and is good for another few days and then the reboots and blue screens start again. Finally, I've had enough and tell my buddy I'm going to XP. Best move I made. System has been rock solid from day one. All my software runs great and I've even got it overclocked to 3.1 on a cpu voltage of 1.2625 and it passed memtest and Prime95 testing with no problems. I haven't tried to flash the bios to F3 because F2 is working great. Can't believe MS is going to end XP support in 2009 for Vista when it is so buggy. I did disable some of the features in the Enterprise addition of XP because I had no use for them- I got the guidance on what to disable from a guide I found on another forum. I try to operate on the "kiss" principle and most of the time it works. Just thought I would add this success story to the mix.

Re: Three week experiment with Vista

Glad you got it working properly for now. Not really sure how you blame Vista for the problem .... sounds like a bios setting or hardware/power issue if it is that intermittent. Guess you could have been using a buggy driver.... . What were the error messages in the log? Unless you are a MS tester/partner I'm guessing you were prolly using pirated software (enterprise edition???) that may have come with its' own issues.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Actually I was mistakened. I have XP Pro, not the Enterprise edition. Why do I blame Vista- probably three weeks of frustration with reboots, intermittent instability and various BSODs and my own inability to make any sense of it. When I reformatted the harddrive and installed XP, all the problems ceased. By the way, none of my software is pirated, so your guess would be wrong.

Comment

lol... it was your references to Enterprise edition that gave me the idea that the software might be less than legit. Vista Enterprise is not a common version for consumer use and XP Enterprise isn't either. Certainly it is possible that your problems were from the operating system but I would be more tempted to say that there may have been something else going on such as driver issues. We are currently using three different Vista systems in my house as well as two XP systems and all are stable. I prefer Vista myself.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Same here

Vista is far more stable and faster on my machine, I have a Quad boot and several multiple installs of all versions of xp/vista in vmware for helping others.

I wouldn't go back if you paid me

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            Same here

Vista is far more stable and faster on my machine, I have a Quad boot and several multiple installs of all versions of xp/vista in vmware for helping others.

I wouldn't go back if you paid me
            I was unsure about going to Vista until Lsdmeasap gave me the push I needed. Now, I don't look back and wouldn't consider XP. I am very happy with Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Thanks Lsdmeasap!

My system:

Antec Solo, Gigabyte EX38-DS4, G.Skill DDR2 800 2x2 for 4GB, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Enermax MODU+82 625W, 2 Hitachi hard drives mounted via suspension system, ECS 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 w/Accelero S1, ASUS Xonar DX, Ninja Plus Rev. B, Pioneer 215D SATA DVD, HP LP1965, Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Comment

I too think vista is ok after am initial period of ohhh yuck...
              Take care,
              Rick
              GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Yeah, like going from W2K to XP kinda strange but great once you make the move

Comment

I loved Vista when it worked but once I started having problems I couldn't solve, I lost that lovin feeling pretty quick. I had a new system with all new components and no spares to swap out and only my old 800 mhz Win 98SE experience to try to trouble shoot my new build. Maybe if I had your collective expertise I could have made it work for me, but I didn't so I did what worked for me. I'm glad you are all happy with Vista and maybe next year I'll be happy with it too. LOL

Comment

I don't understand the problems you had with Vista. We have the same motherboard, even the same DVD burner, and I haven't had any issues with Vista at all. No reboots or BSODs or freezes or any problems. I find Vista running extremely well for me, and boot up is pretty good with 2 1/2 - 3 bars and zooms to desktop. I did turn off UAC and System Restore.

Comment

Working...
                    X